Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on getting my first oil change next week at the dealer. I wanted to go to a syn-blend but was told they don't carry & would need to go straight to full synthetic. When I asked the brand they used, he told me "Rotella" 5w-20. I know that Rotella has been a diesel lube for years & have not heard of this application for the R/T. - Any feedback much appreciated. :notallthere:

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
....I know Rotella has been getting great UOA's in the Subaru community and for others as well. If you are really interested in learning about oil and doing a bit of research, I would encourage you to visit bobistheoilguy.com.

However, the only true way to know how well a particular product/OCI is working out for you would be to send in a sample of your used oil for a UOA (used oil analysis) through a company like Blackstone Labs. For around $30 they will provide you with an analysis that includes the various levels of wear items from your engine as well as the state of the oil at the time the sample was drawn. They will also provide you with a personal, layman's explanation of the results and recommendations concerning your OCI, choice of oil, etc.

·
Registered
450 Posts
You could just buy 7 quarts of whatever oil you want and have them put it in. Unless you're getting this first one for free, but they usually charge more for synthetic or blends, anyway.

Good call on going to the dealer for at least the first change; those stock filters are nearly impossible to remove.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...they sent me a certificate for: 'One Free Oil and Mopar Filter Change'. Not sure what brand of conventional oil they were going to use, but they are charging me an extra $46.00 for the upgrade. My local mechanic tells me that Rotella is fine stuff. Hope so. Also will require eye witnessing the job at the dealer. Don't think they liked that, but this is serious stuff!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Rotella does not come in 5-20.
Rotalla only comes in 10-30 conventional, 15-40 conventional, and 5-40 synthetic.

It's diesel oil that will perform excellent in gas engines, it's rated CJ-4/SM oil.

If your service guy says it comes in 5-20 I would run or better yet ask to see the jug.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
...they sent me a certificate for: 'One Free Oil and Mopar Filter Change'. Not sure what brand of conventional oil they were going to use, but they are charging me an extra $46.00 for the upgrade. My local mechanic tells me that Rotella is fine stuff. Hope so. Also will require eye witnessing the job at the dealer. Don't think they liked that, but this is serious stuff!
Sounds like bait and switch to me.
EXTRA $46

Wally world will sell you synthetic oil and mopar filter for the same price. At least you'll know your getting synthetic or mastercraft makes a syn-blend that a very good oil for less at wally world.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts