Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now able to drive my R/T after 4 months of being parked in the garage. My question now is: Should I take it for an oil change? It's not due for another couple thousand miles.

But, I feel as though I should get one. I only started/ran it once the entire 4 months for about 25 minutes. I also had about a half-a-tank of 91 octane gas in it. Should I go fill up with 93 to balance it out or could I just fill the rest with more 91?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
It's your car - do with it what you feel your gut tells you to do. Change oil early. who cares. it's yours and you know it's being taken care of your way. Everyone has opinions. If it has been idle for months do what you feel you need to do.

I rarely go by the service "schedules" I do it more often because I can.

·
Banned
675 Posts
synthetic oils do not break down from sitting like normal oil, you are fine

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
R/T- have dino oil.

·
Premium Member
3,005 Posts
At a minimum change the oil per the manufacturer schedule to maintain your warranty. Any more often than that is personal preference.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the help. The only oil change I've had since I bought it in May was also done at the dealership.

I guess I could probably switch to synthetic.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Dodge wants you to change it 6K miles or every 6 mos whichever comes first.

However, I have a couple cars that I don't drive a lot. I change the oil in them once a year. Sent samples off for analysis and it was still perfectly fine. That was even with regular non synthetic oil.

·
Registered
591 Posts
If it's dyno oil you should change it.... actually going forward you chould go with a syn, for a few reasons, sitting for months is one. Also don't let it sit for months with half a tank. Fill the thing up so it's full of gas or give it a small shot of Stabil so the gas stays fresh.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies folks. I greatly appreciate it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts