Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using full synthetic oil how often should the oil be changed? Would rather change sooner rather than stretch it out trying to get my moneys worth.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,146 Posts
Under warranty it would be 8,000 miles or six months. Out of warranty, it's up to you :) Depends a lot on how many miles, and how it's driven. Just generally I think unless you are high mileage, once a year seems right. All synthetics should go at least 10,000, some as much as 25,000!

A Guy

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I just follow the indicator regardless what oil I used. It's sort of like gas prices. If it's cheaper by $0.07, I'm not going to stop to fill up. I just fill when I need to. Sometimes you win, sometimes you loose. In the end, it all evens out.

So just trying to say that an additional calculation is sort of too much work, even if we run the oil down to zero %. It's just a indicator to remind you.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Unfortunately, depending on what model/engine you have, it can be 6,000 miles or six months, whichever comes first.
Either way, it should say in your owners manual.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger Scat Pack
60 Posts
I have the oil and filter changed whenever the FIRST one of the conditions listed below is met. I have a 2016 with the 392 in it, and I would rather be overly cautious rather than try and squeeze a few extra weeks out of an oil change.

1) 6,000 miles
2) 6 months
3) 15% left on the oil life indicator

9 times out of 10, I reach the mileage milestone first.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,739 Posts
Using full synthetic oil how often should the oil be changed? Would rather change sooner rather than stretch it out trying to get my moneys worth.
Thanks
At least follow the factory's oil/filter service interval.

While synthetic oil is an improvement over mineral oil modern engines have a tougher time of it in some ways. Due to congestion commute times have gone up and engines spend more time idling.

(One of these days I'll have to pull the data log from my Hellcat and post the idle time.)

In my opinion -- but based upon at least one oil analysis -- the factory change schedule is optimistic. In one case I had the oil analyzed at 4K miles and the analysis found around 7% water in the oil. This was not coolant but simply from combustion. The water had accumulated because the engine didn't get hot enough to boil the water out of the oil. (I had bought the car in Jan. and the oil analysis was done in March. The car accumulated 4K miles in winter driving.)

I decided to change the oil right away rather than wait until 15K miles was reached, which was the factory's oil change schedule -- believe it or not -- and to change the oil every 5K miles thereafter. That was back in 2002. Even in 2017 and with 317K miles on the car/engine the engine was still running strong seemingly unaffected by the "high" miles. 5K mile oil/filter services in no little way contributed to this. Had I followed the 15K mile oil change interval I doubt the engine would have made it to 317K miles.

For my Hellcat, Dodge calls for 6K mile oil changes. (Or 6 months if one doesn't drive 6K miles in that time.) I change the oil at 5K miles or 6 months if I drive the car under 5K miles which I did from last Dec. to June of this year, putting only 3K miles on the car. Might mention I just had the oil changed again at 15K miles -- after changing it in June at 13K miles -- to get the oil change schedule in "sync" with the odometer. That and I'm planning on taking the car on a road trip next week covering maybe 1500 miles and I wanted fresh oil in the engine.

For my MINI JCW MINI/BMW calls for 10K mile oil/filter services but I cut this in half.

Might mention for my Hellcat oil/filter services run -- last time -- $129 and for the JCW about the same. So no big expense is involved.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea my change oil light hasnt came on since i purchased it ive stuck with 5000 miles for my oil change using synthetic oil.....yea but still trying to figure out what oil filter is best to be used on my rt

·
Registered
629 Posts
While I just picked up 32 quarts of the stipulated 0W-40 at $6 each, I still won't do the 6-month change.

It's obviously aimed at people that drive their 'Cats as regular cars, in traffic, idle a lot, and don't get the fluids thoroughly warmed up.
Mine sits for at least five months during the winter, which doesn't harm or age the oil, but when it gets driven it gets driven hard and fast. Beyond fully warmed up.

So after the initial early oil change, it looks like it'll be about 3,000 miles between changes, annually.

Reactions: Fawls

·
Registered
15,928 Posts
I'm doing annual changes now too, the engine warranty be damned!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hear that....0w 40 ?? I drive mine as a daily driver some town driving but mostly 20 mile trips or longer at 60 mph..although i never let my car idle at long lights or drive thrus

·
Registered
629 Posts
In my case, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40 is the recommended oil, so that I'm sticking with. And I wouldn't go over 6,000 miles.
But the 6-month rule is just dumb, I think, unless the car is treated so poorly that the oil really does need to be changed based on time.

Dodge can't easily make a schedule that fits every case, I get that, but I don't want to be punished for how some treat their 'Cats.

·
Registered
629 Posts
And I don't have a manual for one of those.
Had a 5.7 in a pickup, but that was years ago, and I don't remember what oil or intervals it called for.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Yea my change oil light hasnt came on since i purchased it ive stuck with 5000 miles for my oil change using synthetic oil.....yea but still trying to figure out what oil filter is best to be used on my rt
For oil filter I've had just used whatever the parts department clerk shoves over the counter. In the case of my Dodge Scat Pack it was a MOPAR filter I believe the part # is: 04884899AC. This is the same part # filter recommended for my Hellcat.

If your car is equipped with a 6.4l or 6.2l engine I believe the above oil filter part # is the one you want.

For the 5.7l engine or the 3.6l engine there may be another filter. But the Dodge dealer parts department should know what the right filter is and be able to just grab one off the shelf.

Really over the years I've used whatever filter the factory called for and not one filter ever failed nor leaked and no engine ever manifested any issues that could be remotely be blamed on inadequate filtering. Really except for a flat cam lobe on an aftermarket cam no engine has ever manifested any internal engine problems. (In the case of the flat lobe what was just bad metallurgy.)

Dodge has driven test mule vehicles hundreds of thousands of miles in all kinds of climate conditions with the filters it supplies. I see no reason to use my car as a test bed to try to come up with a suitable alternative.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
In my case, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40 is the recommended oil, so that I'm sticking with. And I wouldn't go over 6,000 miles.
But the 6-month rule is just dumb, I think, unless the car is treated so poorly that the oil really does need to be changed based on time.

Dodge can't easily make a schedule that fits every case, I get that, but I don't want to be punished for how some treat their 'Cats.
You are not being punished for how people treat their Hellcats.

Just normal use is sufficient to get the oil into a state it should be changed even if it has not accumulated the miles to trigger a change.

Normal use puts water and other combustion byproducts in the oil. If one drives 6K miles in less than 6 months then the oil gets changed on miles which removes the contaminated oil. The much usage also suggests the car gets driven in such a way that oil contamination may actually be less than if one drove fewer miles over the same time span.

But for those that don't drive 6K miles in 6 months the requirement to change the oil on time recognizes the risk of harm to the engine and its internals from contamination even if the oil doesn't have anywhere near 6K miles on it.

"Low" miles is not necessarily a free pass for oil. As I have mentioned before in the case of one of my other cars, on a whim I had 4K mile oil analyzed and it contained nearly 7% water. No coolant leak. Just the build up of water due to the cold weather and the engine ran cool in the winter months.

The factory called for a 15K mile oil change interval but no way would have run the oil to 15K miles. I changed the oil ASAP after the analysis and thereafter every 5K miles. Since I drove the car quite a bit I never had to face having to change the oil on time.

Even oil with just 3K miles can have considerable contamination. So when 6 months rolled around for my Hellcat and that is all the miles the oil had on it since the last oil change I had the oil changed on time.

·
Registered
629 Posts
You are not being punished for how people treat their Hellcats.

Normal use puts water and other combustion byproducts in the oil. As I have mentioned before in the case of one of my other cars, on a whim I had 4K mile oil analyzed and it contained nearly 7% water. No coolant leak. Just the build up of water due to the cold weather and the engine ran cool in the winter months.
I believe that I am, when supposed to follow an oil change schedule based on time, and surely there because some never get their oil temps up enough to burn off the water in the oil.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen water show up in any analysis, on any of my vehicles.
Granted, it doesn't get truly cold here (-22 is the lowest I've seen), but I think the important part is that if I start a vehicle it'll get driven until the fluids are up to temp.

There are no short trips for my on-road vehicles, and I don't have to deal with traffic (thank God), so when they get driven they get fully warmed up. Yes, that takes longer in the winter, but still.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Thanks
Go by the oil change interval outlined in the owner's manual regardless of the oil type is your best bet. Last time I checked, most oil manufacturers tell you that their synthetic oil can go up to xx,xxx amount of mileage, but they also tell you in the fine print to refer to your car's manufacturer's recommendations. As you have decided though, a full synthetic oil will provide your engine with the best protection and performance. IMO, it's better safe than sorry! Rockster makes some great suggestions as well.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
I believe that I am, when supposed to follow an oil change schedule based on time, and surely there because some never get their oil temps up enough to burn off the water in the oil.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen water show up in any analysis, on any of my vehicles.
Granted, it doesn't get truly cold here (-22 is the lowest I've seen), but I think the important part is that if I start a vehicle it'll get driven until the fluids are up to temp.

There are no short trips for my on-road vehicles, and I don't have to deal with traffic (thank God), so when they get driven they get fully warmed up. Yes, that takes longer in the winter, but still.
-22(C) is plenty cold enough. -8F. Back in late Dec. 2014/Jan 2015 I was in the mid-west and spent some few days with the temperature hovering around the 0F to 1F mark and it was cold.

The water forms as a byproduct of combustion. Most of it gets carried out the exhaust port but until the surfaces in the combustion chamber, cylinder walls -- as the fuel/air mixture burns it of course pushes the piston down and this exposes more cylinder wall surface -- are hot enough to keep the water in vapor for it will condense into water and then can make its way into the oil.

In colder weather my experience is that even a good distance at freeway speeds will not have the oil up to 212F. And every surface the water vapor can come on contact with: Mainly the valve covers; needs to be 212F or hotter to ensure the water vapor remains vapor and is carried out the engine crankcase to the intake manifold.

And blah blah blah.

All I can offer is Dodge specifies an oil change either on miles or if not enough miles are accumulated then on time. And Dodge is the only real authority on servicing for its engines.

Dodge doesn't make the distinction between 1 mile in 6 months of 5999 miles in 6 months. I suspect a fair number of owners who won't hit 6K miles in 6 months will get at least half way there. But regardless Dodge calls for the oil to be changed.

If you chose to ignore this that is your prerogative. And you can justify it by however you want. That doesn't make it right or the right thing to do. It just helps ease your conscience.

As I think I mentioned I found myself -- this June -- with a Hellcat with just 3K miles on it after 6 months. I had no hesitation or second thoughts about this I just booked the car in and had the oil/filter service done because 6 months had elapsed.

And maybe I'm a bit OCD but just a couple of weeks ago I had the car back in for another oil/filter service when the odometer hit 15,000 miles. Thus I had the oil changed after 3K miles then again after just 2K miles to get the oil change interval in "sync" with the odometer and every 5000 miles.

·
Registered
629 Posts
-22(C) is plenty cold enough. -8F.

In colder weather my experience is that even a good distance at freeway speeds will not have the oil up to 212F.

As I think I mentioned I found myself -- this June -- with a Hellcat with just 3K miles on it after 6 months. I had no hesitation or second thoughts about this I just booked the car in and had the oil/filter service done because 6 months had elapsed.
No, -22 F, if I had meant Celsius I would've specified it. After all, we are in the USA, right?

Freeway speeds isn't the best way to build up temperature as the cooling effect will increase with speed. There are thermostats for oil coolers, and many simple ways to decrease or completely block the air flow to various heat exchangers.

Anyway, it's about one year since I got my 'Cat. It now has just over 3,000 miles on it.
It got an early oil change before being put away for the winter. And it'll get one this year, too. That'll be two oil changes within about nine months and about 3,500 miles.

But speaking of hesitations and second thoughts - if I had to take it to a dealer to get the oil changed it'd probably still have the break-in oil in it. I'd have fifth thoughts about subjecting my vehicles to dealer "service".
It's a very simple job, and by doing it myself I know it's done right.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes dealerships are sure not like they were back in the day for sure!! Of course i dont think most people take pride in there work like they used ro either... But i agree didge knows more about there bizzness than anyone...thanks for the info and or advice guys.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts