Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi dudes and dudettes .
My 2012 challenger RT 6 speed has a warning for oil change with a picture of an oil pot and the bar above the oil pot is at almost halfway fro 0 - 100. I notice when I started the car that I could hear loud lifter noise that eventually went ways after startup. I check my oil and the level is good on the dipstick but the oil definitely smelt like used oil. Oil pressure when driving is about 52 - 54 Psi.
Do I just need an oil change or do I have other problems ?
Thanks

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,602 Posts
Well it does not sound like you need an oil change. As for the lifter tick...it could be that one lifter bled down and after the engine started and oil pressure built up it filled up again. Does it do this at every start up?

Or it could be the "hemi tick". If you do a search there is a bunch of posts...no one seems to have a solution....although some swear changing to certain oil brand/synthetic helped.
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f188/ticking-tapping-446721/?446721=#post6071361

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've only heard the sewing machine type of sound before when it said " system ok" but today's noise was much louder the I looked at the on dash warning and it said " oil change required

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,602 Posts
Usually the oil change stickers have a date and mileage for the next oil change. I would just start with a fresh oil change and filter. When I bought my CPO challenger, I changed all the oils (converted to synthetic) and filter just so I know all the fluids are good.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,602 Posts
I totall agree with you Chally . Sticker says 5W30 Synthetic should I use the same and what brand is best ? Royal purple ?
The 5.7 take 5w20 according to the owners manual. The autos have cylinder deactivation so using the wrong viscosity can affect it's operation...not an issue with the manuals though. As for brand, I used to run Mobile (have used it for years on other cars with no issue) but now I run RP and I really don't notice a difference. I have a buddy that swears by Amsoil. If you go to bobstheoilguy site there is a bunch of info to help you decide.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,602 Posts
I've only heard the sewing machine type of sound before when it said " system ok" but today's noise was much louder the I looked at the on dash warning and it said " oil change required
BTW here is an example of what the 5.7 manual should sound like at idle...I also threw in my 5.7 grand cherokee as a comparison.

https://vimeo.com/250995421

·
Registered
2011 392 SRT, 2010 R/T Classic, 2019 R/T Plus, 2016 SXT Plus
415 Posts
I bought the car last month and it used to say " system ok" oil change sticker on the windshield says 04/28/18. 5W30.
It is possible that the person who did the oil change forgot the reset the oil change reminder clock.

- but -

You said the oil looks bad?

And 5w30 is the wrong oil for this car.

I would get it changed with the correct oil weight.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ditto on the 5w-20 and someone (prob dealer that did last change) did not reset oil life screen. My oil fill cap has bright yellow lettering "5W-20" Either the person that serviced it wrote the wrong oil on the sticker, is blind, or the oil type on the filler cap is a new thing? My oil at 4K smelled like fuel. Glad I changed it early, and was likely due to leak by until the rings properly seated.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Are we SURE the oil was changed at all????? Wrong grade.....perhaps nobody looked it up because, nobody changed it.
Just sayin. I am curious as to how this works out.

Dip stick smelled like gas???? I AM going to start smelling mine too. I am at 4500 mi. changed twice already. Now I am very glad.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The 5.7 take 5w20 according to the owners manual. The autos have cylinder deactivation so using the wrong viscosity can affect it's operation...not an issue with the manuals though. As for brand, I used to run Mobile (have used it for years on other cars with no issue) but now I run RP and I really don't notice a difference. I have a buddy that swears by Amsoil. If you go to bobstheoilguy site there is a bunch of info to help you decide.
Interesting, this is in the 2018 Quick Guide, it says use 0W-40

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Above the note they were referring to the SRT (see 1st attachment). The 2018 manual still states 5w20 (2nd attachment).
Thanks, but, the 5W 20 on an R/T doesn't have to be synthetic, correct? I only see synthetic listed for the 6.4. My dealer is telling me it has to be synthetic on my 5.7.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,602 Posts
Thanks, but, the 5W 20 on an R/T doesn't have to be synthetic, correct? I only see synthetic listed for the 6.4. My dealer is telling me it has to be synthetic on my 5.7.
As long as the oil meets MS-6395.

Pennzoil conventional motor meets it.
http://www.pennzoil.com/en_ca/products/blends-conventional-oils/conventional/_jcr_content/productDetails.stream/1460058457226/c1c79801160bb1e0d31f72fa607f65a2499f340a99c1771ecfa0600c9d07892b/Pennzoil-SAE-5W-20-Motor-Oil.pdf

1 - 20 of 29 Posts