Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I bought my car, they said it had full synthetic oil in it and that all of my 3 years of free oil changes would use full synthetic too. I know synthetic is generally said to last longer (~5k miles) before needing to be changed out.

I'm at around 5300 miles right now and still have not had time to make it up to the dealership. Well, I did bring it in once but forgot to have them change it. Am I facing any potential warranty issues (voiding it by not changing oil on time)? Who knows if they were lying about the car coming with full synthetic in it or not.. and even if they allow 5k miles between changes.

I've never had free oil change perks before, and I don't want to have anything go on record that I went too long between changes. Anyone know anything about this?

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
It don't require synthetic oil but I use it in mine. The dealership says even synthetic oil should be changed at no more than 5K miles. The reason i said that about SRT is a dealer won't normally spend the extra money on synthetic oil for free oil changes unless it's required. SRTs require it.

·
Registered
714 Posts
When I bought my car, they said it had full synthetic oil in it and that all of my 3 years of free oil changes would use full synthetic too. I know synthetic is generally said to last longer (~5k miles) before needing to be changed out.

I'm at around 5300 miles right now and still have not had time to make it up to the dealership. Well, I did bring it in once but forgot to have them change it. Am I facing any potential warranty issues (voiding it by not changing oil on time)? Who knows if they were lying about the car coming with full synthetic in it or not.. and even if they allow 5k miles between changes.

I've never had free oil change perks before, and I don't want to have anything go on record that I went too long between changes. Anyone know anything about this?

Read your owner's manual the oil change is recommended at 6 000 miles regardless of oil type.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow.. good to know, thanks Cyrus. I find that rather surprising. Sure that's not just for the SRT which evidently requires synthetic?

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Yeah, I know. I'm trying to ask him if what he read about the 6000 mile thing was in a SRT-specific manual.
You would be surprised what you'll find in your owner's manual. Everyone should read theirs front to back. It's just a small book, not gonna bite you. LOL

PS... Doubt you have synthetic in there. Never ever believe dealership employees, most are idiots. There are a handful of great mechanics out there, but most of the service managers and desk people are morons from my experiences.

·
Banned
557 Posts
Guess I need to look at my manual. Changing every 6k miles on REGULAR oil sounds fishy. I presume that is for cream puff conditions? Which as we all know is rarely the case for ANY vehicle. At least that's how I've seen it on other vehicles, maybe 6k miles for great conditions but 3k miles for dusty/harsh conditions.

Assuming Dodge doesn't change mileage based on conditions, the dealer may just be telling you it has synthetic and will be filled with synthetic and changed at 5k mile intervals. Technically, according to the manual, they could use standard oil on the RT and be within factory specs. :disgust:

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
6,000 miles or 6 months is the recommended oil change.

Synthetic or conventional doesn't matter. Conventional oils today are refined so well and have superior additive packages they perform almost as well as synthetics and in some cases even better depending on the refining, additive package of both being compared. The only place synthetics shine is high temp boil off and cold temp flow but conventional oils are closing the gap. Beware most synthetics are not 100% synthetic but labeled full synthetic which is a marketing tool since conventionals are refined almost as well as synthetics.

The ECM has an alithagram for when the oil needs to be changed based on driving habits of the car. Throttle use, time since last oil change, miles driven, are just a few of the parimeters monitored.

So If your change oil indicator has not come on on the dash you have not gone further than recommended unless your over 6,000 miles. Even then there is wiggle room before they can void warranty.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just bought a 2011 SE and the Oil change interval for it is every 6 months or every 8,000 miles. I confirmed with the service department, and they said for the new engine it is now 8k miles.

Just an FYI, if you want I can upload a pic of the page in the manual.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I just bought a 2011 SE and the Oil change interval for it is every 6 months or every 8,000 miles. I confirmed with the service department, and they said for the new engine it is now 8k miles.

The new API oil rated SN, G-5 allows this. Even SM rated oil could go that long but different driving styles of the general public dictated 6,000 miles on most vehicles for the SM.

The new SN, G-5 oils are even more superior.

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts

The Olds Aurora we traded in on our 300c was anywhere from 3000 to 10000 miles.
When the oil got to dirty it would tell you... and had a running % of life available at all times.

Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0L v8
Engine Oil Scheduled Maintenance
Change engine oil and filter as indicated by the GM
Oil Life System (or every 12 months, whichever
occurs first). Reset the indicator. The system will
show you when to change the oil -- usually between
3,000 miles (5 000 km) and 10,000 miles (16 000 km)
since your last oil change
. Under severe conditions, the
indicator may come on before 3,000 miles (5 000 km).
Never drive your vehicle more than 10,000 miles
(16 000 km) or 12 months without an oil and
filter change.

If you drive nothing but highway miles at 1700 rpm, there's no need to change oil at very short intervals.
On the other hand if you live in the city or get to scale mountains... it certainly doesn't hurt to change it more often

Only Pep Boys and the like, think/want you (your wife) in every 3000 miles as if you were driving a Taxi Cab

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
I wonder if our cars have some sort of "monitor" that checks how hard you drive the car. The reason I ask is because my "Change Oil" indicator just came on at 2500 miles. The car is just over 3 months old.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts