Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I own a 2020 Dodge Challenger SXT.
I will be changing my own oil and filter soon. I have read the manual on which oil is recommended which is Pennzoil.

What are your thoughts on Pennzoil?

Which oil should I use to do my first oil change?

Thanks!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Been around forever and its what's recommended by the manufacturer so I would go with it!! I am a MOBILE-1 fan but after doing some research they apparently had some falling out with MOPAR a while back....I will be putting PENNZOIL in Miss Dinah when she arrives!!! Good luck. Is your ride still under warranty???

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,203 Posts
Hello everyone,

I will be changing my own oil and filter soon. I have read the manual on which oil is recommended which is Pennzoil.

Thanks!
My advice is use the oil (and filter) the factory says to use. This means you get the factory filter not some aftermarket filter the filter maker claims is "factory".

If the factory recommends Pennzoil which is probably the "factory fill" oil, but there can be other oils which have some official/formal "stamp of approval" they meet the factory oil requirements, use it. Why use your car as a test platform to try to come up with a suitable oil when the factory has already done this for you?

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Pitch Black A8
884 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Kentucky! If you trusted the engineers who designed the car enough to purchase the car, why would you question their recommendation on the type of oil to use when you change it? If I wanted to ensure that I didn't cause future problems with the warranty I would follow the factory recommendation. There are some manufacturers that pull oil samples at the first sign of engine problems when the vehicle is under warranty. Why chance having a problem. But in the end it's your car to do with as you wish, you asked for opinions.

·
Registered
16,210 Posts
Hello everyone,

Thanks!
They do mention Pennzoil I guess as a plug for Pennzoil since they got the SRT deal, but the main requirement is that the oil is a 5W-20, is AP certified and meets MS-6395. Any oil that meets those three things is fine to use and there are many. I'd pick one oil that you can get locally and easily and stick with it, nothing different for first oil, just do a normal change.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,183 Posts
Hello everyone,

Thanks!
Always run a MoPar oil filter. As for the oil......use any brand of oil that meets the specs required for your 3.6L. Castrol EDGE in 5W20 has done me well in my MoPars over the years. In any event...make sure the oil YOU choose meets the MS-6395 spec.

Reactions: Classyg6

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,699 Posts
I got the Mopar MO-349 oil filters for the 1st 3 changes (Got a 3 pack). But switched to the Wix WL10010 (good deal on a 3 pack)

A Guy

·
Registered
120 Posts
What are the in's and out's of doing self oil changes on a brand new vehicle and maintaining the factory warranty......I know that taking it back to the dealer to have it done is recommended, but I am sure that we all have a horror story of something stripped, missing or broken due to a simple oil change.........any thoughts on this? Thanks.

·
Registered
192 Posts
What are the in's and out's of doing self oil changes on a brand new vehicle and maintaining the factory warranty......I know that taking it back to the dealer to have it done is recommended, but I am sure that we all have a horror story of something stripped, missing or broken due to a simple oil change.........any thoughts on this? Thanks.
Keep records. I use the My Dodge App to log all my services (self or dealer). I also keep receipts when I buy oil and filters. If I buy online I'll keep a copy of the confirmation/receipt email.

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,183 Posts
Keep records. I use the My Dodge App to log all my services (self or dealer). I also keep receipts when I buy oil and filters. If I buy online I'll keep a copy of the confirmation/receipt email.
Exactly. Simply maintain receipts and document services performed with dates and mileage. Anything I get from Amazon is printed out and then subsequently filed away in the hanging file folder with that particular vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Been around forever and its what's recommended by the manufacturer so I would go with it!! I am a MOBILE-1 fan but after doing some research they apparently had some falling out with MOPAR a while back....I will be putting PENNZOIL in Miss Dinah when she arrives!!! Good luck. Is your ride still under warranty???
Thank you for your feedback! Yes, my car is still under warranty. I decided to use Pennzoil Full Synthetic.

Always run a MoPar oil filter. As for the oil......use any brand of oil that meets the specs required for your 3.6L. Castrol EDGE in 5W20 has done me well in my MoPars over the years. In any event...make sure the oil YOU choose meets the MS-6395 spec.
View attachment 1014272
Thank you for the information. I appreciate it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts