• Dealership

Votes: 11 22.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you do your own oil changes? I personally want to start doing them myself again because of the BS I went thru on my first oil change for the car. I usually buy the filter from the dealership for the record of doing the change and keeping the oil receipts for proof in case there's questions of warranty issues. Like many of you, I DO NOT trust the dealerships. Besides, I change the oil every six months since it's not a daily driver. I put barely 5000KM/3000 miles every 6 months.

·
Registered
760 Posts
^ditto

It?s very easy. It takes me longer to go buy my oil and filter than to change it.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,064 Posts
First and foremost, fear a dealership scratching my car, lol. Also, an oil change is right at the bottom as far as difficulty to do yourself. I bought Rhino Ramps and the Fumoto valve. Ended up using an oil extractor, never went under the car, lol. A Guy

·
Premium Member
9,372 Posts
Walmart sells Mopar filters so why buy them at the dealer, you get a receipt from the store showing what you bought.

·
Registered
537 Posts
FastScat....., do your own oil changes. Keep receipts from oil and filter purchases and put in a big envelope along with a simple log with the date and service you performed in a notebook. This will come in handy for any potential warranty work as well as at resale and/or trade-in time. We have seven vehicles and if I didn't keep logs I'd never remember what I did to what car and when. I, as many others, agree with you about not trusting the dealerships. Especially when talking about oil changes because its usually the lowest level guy in the dealership that gets tasked with this... while he's texting his friends about important World Events such as whether he's going to Taco Belle or McDonalds for lunch. You know, important stuff that needs to be disseminated to mass audiences on a recurring basis. :|

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
First and foremost, fear a dealership scratching my car, lol. Also, an oil change is right at the bottom as far as difficulty to do yourself. I bought Rhino Ramps and the Fumoto valve. Ended up using an oil extractor, never went under the car, lol. A Guy
What about the filter???

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
What about the filter???
He has a 3.6 as do I. Filter is on top of the engine, cartridge type. I also bought the vacuum pump because of Guy's thread earlier. Will give it a try next oil change. Would be nice not to have to crawl around. Still need to do that on my Ram though. I have some land so I just dug a trench to drive over and crawl into to change oil instead of using ramps.

·
Registered
2015 R/T
496 Posts
should be 3rd choice such as other. I take mine to Tuffy Mufflers for the change have used them for yrs and trust them.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
He has a 3.6 as do I. Filter is on top of the engine, cartridge type. I also bought the vacuum pump because of Guy's thread earlier. Will give it a try next oil change. Would be nice not to have to crawl around. Still need to do that on my Ram though. I have some land so I just dug a trench to drive over and crawl into to change oil instead of using ramps.
I did not know. How cool is that!!!

·
Registered
346 Posts
I guess I am in the minority and use a dealership. It is a small dealership where I pretty much know everyone and they know me. I watch the tech as he changes the oil and they all know the consequences of damaging my car. There is one guy there who will never work on my car because he chipped the door edge with something being distracted. The added cost of them actually changing the oil vs. me changing it is very small and I have other things to do with my time. I just stop by on the way home and am out in half hour or so.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
945 Posts
That's something new to me! I'm going to Google it!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
I currently use the dealership because I got 4 free with the purchase of my car, so why not. After those are expired, I'll probably do it myself or go to a 3rd party to do it. Our dealership has the dumbest monkeys around...

·
Super Moderator
15,420 Posts
always change my own oil and at that time, tires need to be rotated as well.

[FCA recommends every 6k tire rotation - as well as any tire warranty is max 6k intervals to maintain warranty coverage]

A friend took his new Challenger Hellcat for its first oil change and they spilled oil on the engine and not only that someone's oil hands got the steering wheel and door panel oily...how's that for 'competent' service?

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I have that filter on my 3.6 Wrangler but still always want to drain from the bottom to get all that oil out. Sucking from up above isn’t the same.

Now that you say that............ It couldn't. I know a guy (no pun intended) who leave the drain plug pulled OVER NIGHT. Then adds the oil and goes to work. He would never go for that. BUT, not to say that it doesn't work. I am sure whatever remains would be negligible and eaten up by the fresh oil. Depends what you want I guess. Like everything else. Lol.

·
Premium Member
9,372 Posts
I’m sure most of the oil is removed but I’d rather open it from the bottom and let gravity wash the bottom as it flows.
Everyone is welcome to do it their own way.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,064 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
I actually bought a topside for oil changes but it didn't work on mine I couldn't get the tube all the way through in the dipstick, I did read one post on this forum that he was successful with the same tube. I have the 5.7 and he had the v6 apparently there's a difference??? Or maybe I just don't know how to put it in the hole lol

1 - 20 of 29 Posts