Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking my 2016 scatpack in for an oil change tomorrow the car has 25400 miles on it they said that it was recommended that there be an oil conditioner?
What I would like to know is is this a real thing do you guys do this or is it just a scam by the dealership any advice would be appreciated thank you

·
Registered
10,167 Posts
Taking my 2016 scatpack in for an oil change tomorrow the car has 25400 miles on it they said that it was recommended that there be an oil conditioner?
What I would like to know is is this a real thing do you guys do this or is it just a scam by the dealership any advice would be appreciated thank you
It's BS. The manual even states not to use/add any type of suppliment in the oil.

Oil only.

Reactions: 72/340

·
Registered
84 Posts
Agree with John. It's nothing more than a Stealership revenue enhancer. Designed to feather their nest and lighten your pocket. That's why I bought a lift and do my own maintenance. I'm surprised they didn't hit you up for a fuel injection "cleaning."

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Wow, that's a first.

Sometimes I wonder why dealerships/service advisor do that? Do they really think people are that dumb? Yes, they do. Is it really about the money? Yes. Are they that desperate? Yes.

Did they know that when the customer give them all 10s on the survey they get a gift card from FCA for $25 or $35?

I suppose they want the gift card and to rip you off. Double win.

On my last service visit. They wash my car for no reason. I generally don't want them to wash it (with the rag they perhaps dropped on the ground). But they did it. No upsale. Not one thing. He asked for a 10 on the survey. I give him all 10s - even when the cheap coffee sucks.

You take care of me, I will take care of you.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the response from everyone. Tomorrow I will tell them no conditioner I did however tell them explicitly that my car is not to be washed for any reason.

·
Super Moderator
14,943 Posts
Motor oil typically contains a Performance Additive Package that can make up 15% to 25% of its composition. The remaining percentage is base oil. The additives help to enhance the performance and viscosity of the motor oil. Oil manufacturers design their products to comply with the specifications of car companies and engine manufacturers. Nothing else is needed.

These are the following typical additives found in quality motor oil:

Viscosity-index additives: The Viscosity Index indicates the capacity of the motor oil to remain stable despite temperature fluctuations. The polymer additives ensure that the motor oil maintains its viscosity over a diverse range of temperatures.

Dispersants: These additives absorb and hold solid contaminants within the oil so that they do not damage the engine. In this way, they delay the forming of sludge, acids and varnish.

Detergents: These additives act on the piston-ring area, piston under-crown and other surfaces that overheat. They prevent the forming of deposits, rust and corrosion; and are used up over time.

Anti-wear agents: Anti-wear agents work to protect parts of the engine that are susceptible to high temperatures such as cylinder walls, piston rings, lifters and cams. These additives form a protective layer on these components and prevent the friction that can occur because of metal-to-metal contact. They also act as antioxidants and are used up over time.

Friction modifiers: Graphite or molybdenum is a friction modifier that helps lower friction when the engine is operating under high temperatures and heavy loads. These additives also help you conserve fuel. They lose their effectiveness over the life of the motor oil.

Antioxidants: Under conditions of high temperatures in the engine, the motor oil can oxidize when reacting with oxygen. If that happens, the motor oil ages quickly, thickens and forms sludge. Antioxidants work to slow down this oxidation and the forming of deposits. They also help to keep the engine clean and prolong the life of the motor oil.

Anti-foam additives: If the motor oil foams and forms bubbles, it is unable to coat all the important parts of the engine and keep it cool. As a result, it can cause serious damage to your engine, especially under high temperatures. Anti-foam additives prevent air from getting compressed in the oil and the forming of foam even if there is an excess of oil in the crankshaft because of accidental overfilling. In case of engines that have variable camshaft timing, the motor oil must also act as hydraulic fluid. Aerated motor oil will be unable to provide this function.

Rust and corrosion inhibitors: The internal parts of the engine can rust and corrode because of exposure to moisture and acids. These additives create a film over the parts and protect them against damage from these hazards.

Pour-point depressants: These additives work to prevent the hardening of wax particles in the motor oil under cold conditions. As a result, the motor oil flows freely even at low temperatures and does not need the engine to work harder to pump it. In this way, the engine continues to function effectively despite fluctuations in the outside temperature.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CUDA340 WOW!! thank you for that..
Again everybody let me say thank you for your advice and information it's very much appreciated

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
841 Posts
Damn...I guess I'm the only one that uses an additive...1/2 quart of Lucas Oil Full Synthetic Stabilizer...
Lucas was a sponsor of my dragster where we used all Lucas products and I know the VP there at Lucas...
Been using it on all my cars with no problems...

So for what it's worth...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jack44...
Knowing that you use Lucas products what is it that you think about this so-called conditioner that the dealership is trying to sell me then in your opinion?

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,676 Posts

If the engine managed to make it to 25,400 miles with no signs of any issues my advice is just keep doing what you have been doing and it reads like you have *not* been using any oil conditioner.

As others have pointed out Dodge specifically mentions not to use any additives in the oil or gasoline.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
They are just trying to scam you. As stated before the owners manual states Do Not Put Any Additives In The Oil. Use Shell Pennzoil Ultra Platinum nothing else required.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,279 Posts
Heck, I would take a copy of the owners manual and show the service manager why they are recommending an oil conditioner when it goes against the manufacturers specifications and see what he says?

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Heck, I would take a copy of the owners manual and show the service manager why they are recommending an oil conditioner when it goes against the manufacturers specifications and see what he says?
Even better, That would be funny. Have your camera out and video their reaction to recommending something against FCAs requirements.
I would never return to that untrustworthy dealer again.

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,972 Posts
Find someone else to do the oil change. That is total BS, and I wouldn't trust them to clean the windshield after that...

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,676 Posts
Find someone else to do the oil change. That is total BS, and I wouldn't trust them to clean the windshield after that...

That's one approach but in my experience I'd soon be without a place to take my car as at some point most dealers will do something that could justify my not wanting to use the dealer again.

In this case the transgression is relatively minor. Whenever I run into something like this I just thank the person for the info but politely decline. In this case I would not even throw it up in his face the manual specifically says to not use any oil (or fuel) additives.

But I can tell you this recommendation is often made and not only at Dodge dealers. My local Porsche dealer service department routinely recommended a bottle of fuel system cleaner at every oil/filter service. And I have to say it was probably a good idea. As I mentioned before when I switched my Boxster and Turbo from Shell V-Power to Chevron Supreme the Boxster engine ran markedly better after not even a tank of Chevron gasoline. The *Techron* was the difference.

('course, the Turbo engine showed no improvement.)

But I declined the fuel system cleaner. I note it was not Techron. And in spite of the fact techs could buy the brand -- the name escapes me -- the dealer stocked at a discount, the SA told me every tech's tool box contained a bottle of Techron. That's the only fuel system/injector/engine deposit cleaner I swear by.

Might mention the additive was not a profit item it was provided at dealer cost. (With oil changes running nearly $400 -- towards the end of my time with my Porsche cars -- another $8 or $10 added on to cover the fuel system cleaner was not that big of a deal.)

While I only in very special cases use Techron as an additive when I fuel a car, I do try to fill up my car fuel tanks, and this includes the Hellcat and JCW, every once in a while with Chevron Supreme even though neither the Hellcat or the Mini JCW engines show any signs of any benefit from the Chevron Supreme gasoline. (I attribute this to like the Turbo both the Hellcat and JCW engines are very precisely fueled and clean running engines.)

And the techs also recommended Swepco 502 Oil Improver. This contains 200ppm of molybdenum in some "micronized" form. (I had a sample analyzed to confirm what it contained and the ppm. The fact it is in "micronized" form I gathered from the Swepco web site.) The techs said this stuff tended to reduce valve hardware clatter at engine start particularly for cars that were not used all that often. I felt comfortable challenging them on this a bit and both made good arguments for using the stuff. Both had decades of experience with Porsche engines and while they were quick to comment on and dismiss snake oil remedies they both were on board with Swepco 502.

So I tried two bottles -- 2 bottles because of the total quantity of oil both Porsche engines held (a bit over 9 quarts) required 2 bottles to properly "treat" the engine oil -- and both engines were quieter. Not lots but there was a drop off in noise. I hate to admit this and I don't recommend this but I made adding 2 bottles of Swepco 502 Oil Improver a habit with my Boxster and Turbo engines. I have some of this stuff at home and was going to use it if either the Hellcat or JCW engine got noisy but so far neither has. Keeping the oil reasonably fresh -- as I experienced a number of times not only with my Boxster and Turbo engines but with other engines too -- goes a long way to keeping the noise down.

Might mention here this important bit of info: When I looked into this -- back in the year 2006 time frame -- it contained just molybdenum. I think the newest version contains molybdenum and ZDDP. I'm not a fan of extra ZDDP and unless the amount was small, and I have no info on how much ZDDP is in the additive, I'd not use Swepco 502 now.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I took the scatpack in for its oil change yesterday. When I handed my key fob over to the service department I told them explicitly no oil additives of any kind. They were very polite very helpful no problems whatsoever. And also at the end of the service when she came back and gave me my bill I also question the amount, and she asked me what were you told it would be when you made your appointment. I told her the amount, and she came back with a bill that was only $6 more then what I was quoted on the phone I let that pass.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It does amaze me the amount of information and knowledge that members on this form have accumulated working on an high performance vehicles.

My Challenger is the first high-performance newer vehicle I have owned in my entire life. All my other" cool performance cars." Have been classic cars.. And I always just used Pennzoil or other well-known names straight from the Shelf.

Maybe I never really worried about all the technological stuff when thinking about my next Oil Change maybe it's just because those cars were all 50 years old or older.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts