Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question.

I am looking at buying either an SE or RT. Before I go too deep, I want to know if these engines consume oil. If so, how much?

I ask because I had a car before that consumed 1qt every 500 miles since it was new and it was really irritating having to keep up with it. My current car consumes no oil at this point. No need for long replies, just looking for basic stats.

Thx

Scot

·
Banned
197 Posts
Quick question.

I am looking at buying either an SE or RT. Before I go too deep, I want to know if these engines consume oil. If so, how much?

I ask because I has a car before that consumed 1qt every 500 miles since it was new and it was really irritating having to keep up with it. My current car consumes no oil at this point. No need for long replies, just looking for basic stats.

Thx

Scot
What the heck car consumed that much oil? And if you had it from new, why didn't you have it fixed under warranty? My car is fine with the oil - I check it every so often and the level is always full.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My SE..consumes no noticable amount of oil.

For warranty to fix a near new vehicle with 'excessive' oil consumption..it has to use lotsa' oil. Heavy equipment manufacturers are the same way.

Best thing to do with an near new or lower mileage engine that consumes quite a bit oil..is change brands of oil. Some engines just don't like some oil.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My R/T consumes no oil between oil changes. If your car consumes more than 1 quart between oil changes it needs to be repaired.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have a 2010 SRT8, changed the oil twice so far and no problem with consumption - no different than any of the other cars I've ever owned (i.e. "normal"). I check all my fluids weekly when I wash the car, and have never had to add oil in 9 months of ownership.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Mine is a 6.1 but it does not consume a noticeable amount of oil between changes.

I collect about about 1 oz of oil in the catch can for every 2K miles so technically that isn't consumed.

However it is not considered a problem for a performance engine to consume a quart of oil in 1000 miles. I have had more than one big engine that did this from day one but ran well over 100K with no problems.

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
Mine consumes alot! :eek:

Of course the oil has already been refined to gasoline.:bigthumb:

I don't know what the OP is expecting in response by asking this question.:notallthere:

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
With the tolerances on these new engines the only oil you should consume is what you spill and what you clean out of you catch can.
This is NOT 1970, back then if you didn't consume some oil, you're pan was dry.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
i think it depends on how you drive too with this car...i didnt consume any oil until i really started hammering on it and even then it was very much at all. nowhere near having it be a pain to keep up on. i also have a catch can that gets some too. i notice if i drive normally, it doesn't consume at all.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Maybe the op was driving a two cycle before. its a honest question give him a break. thanks for your understanding.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
I race mine fairly hard, but by dipstick measurments, it's not noticeable. If we use the catch can as the consumed portions, it's less than 2oz every month and a half or so (ever oil change).

·
Registered
714 Posts
Any engine will consume oil it is just the nature of the beast, especially when being driven at high load and/or RPM

That said if the engine is good it shouldn't show up between changes.

1 qt/500 mi is excessive and from new seems like a screwed up engine like a stuck ring or something like that. Old pukka 911's burned oil like crazy but even then it wasn't that much unless it had some miles on it.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
What the heck car consumed that much oil? And if you had it from new, why didn't you have it fixed under warranty? My car is fine with the oil - I check it every so often and the level is always full.
My guess is the OP is a former VW New Beetle owner. Bought my daughter one, and read on the forums for the New Beetle that many of the 4 cylinder gas engines used a LOT of oil. And VW was no help to them (according to the posts I read).

I would warn anyone considering one of these cars, BUYER BEWARE! We had a miserable experience with my daughters. One of my happiest days was getting rid of it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You want to hear about a car with excessive oil consumption? I have an '09 Solstice GXP (turbo) that used a quart every 250 miles! It took 2 dealers and 4 visits to finally get it fixed. The problem was caused by an improperly installed piston ring (at the factory) that gouged a cylinder wall. The dealer replaced the cylinder liner (not the short block unfortunately), piston and rod of the affected cylinder. I've driven the car 1K miles now and the problem seems to be solved. But, it was very rough for the first 7K miles before it was fixed. :disgust:

I also had an '06 Jeep SRT8 that used a quart every 5K miles. If I took a long highway trip, it could use a quart every 2K miles. 1 quart every 5K didn't bother me (I changed the oil every 5K). I just checked it every fill up.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I used to have a 1979 Plymouth Horizon with a 1.7 VW engine..used it to commute 100 miles a day. Burned a quart of oil a day too.

My father would make fun of it by telling me to "check the gas.. and filler-up with oil":thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Bro- if your decision to buy this car is based on oil consumption because it's too much of a hassle to keep up with, I'd definitely not recommend an R/T or SRT8.

These things are performance machines; if you drive as intended by the manufacturer, you're going to wear things out and use things up.

I could not care less about gas mileage, fuel consumption, brake/tire maintenance. I had to have this car; the rest is pretty straightforward.

Besides; believe me, these cars are nothing at all like the first gen units-- those took a huge amount of work to maintain. Been there, done that back in the day. In addition to consumables like tires, brakes, belts, oil, they'd routinely snap u-joints, motor mounts, header gaskets and dozens of other pieces. Today's Challenger is a walk in the park for maintenance by any comparison.

My .02 cents- and welcome to the board.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Oil use on the SRT8 is very low, I have 2006 SRT8 300C with 151,000 miles on it and it uses about one quart in 12,000 miles, I drive it like I stole it.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Bro- if your decision to buy this car is based on oil consumption because it's too much of a hassle to keep up with, I'd definitely not recommend an R/T or SRT8.

These things are performance machines; if you drive as intended by the manufacturer, you're going to wear things out and use things up.

I could not care less about gas mileage, fuel consumption, brake/tire maintenance. I had to have this car; the rest is pretty straightforward.

Besides; believe me, these cars are nothing at all like the first gen units-- those took a huge amount of work to maintain. Been there, done that back in the day. In addition to consumables like tires, brakes, belts, oil, they'd routinely snap u-joints, motor mounts, header gaskets and dozens of other pieces. Today's Challenger is a walk in the park for maintenance by any comparison.

My .02 cents- and welcome to the board.
Driving too easily can often cause oil consumption problems especially on a high-performance engine. This often happened on the Cadillac Northstars, they'd start burning oil like crazy because some old lady was driving them to church. If you ran it to 6000 rpm like it was designed to, the oil stayed in the pan :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts