Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Challenger SRT8 #1101
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had this happen to me yesterday while attempting to check my oil level.
Trying to add pics but the top with ring broke off and the round plastic beneath it is stuck in the tube.

Any recommendations to get it out?

Hoping I don't have to drop the oil pan and push it up (if accessible that way)

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I tapped it gently and ran a wood screw in to the plastic that was left far enough to grab it with a pliers. Good luck. Be careful.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
found this on youtube
I have a billet one and it gets stuck pretty bad too. I wonder if removing the rubber o rings on it would keep it loose.

I have to apply lithium grease to the rubber o-rings on the dip sticks of my garaged Hawks' twice yearly or they also get stuck. Since I started the practice, no problems at all.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,550 Posts
Drag City can get it out for you ;)

A Guy

Reactions: Drag City

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
FYI. Even the replacement stick for the 06 Charger is pretty tight. I lube it too and am careful with it. Parts guy says they sell a lot of them. Sounds like a known issue.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
I've only had this happen to me once. A brand new 2013 Challenger, and in the first couple of times of pulling the dip stick out, I knew there was going to be a problem. Sure enough, the yellow ring was in my hand, while the dip stick was in the engine. I bought another dip stick, and "screwed" it into the dip stick tube. It was able to go down far enough that it could grab the old dip stick when I pulled it out. The new dip stick worked flawlessly. Apparently not all dip stick are created equal.

Don't ding me for using the words dip stick too much here. :)

Reactions: fyrdude

·
Super Moderator
16,627 Posts
My '09 - the dipstick would get stuck when it was hot; cooled down it was fine. My '16 392 doesn't do that at all

there's a nut on the front exhaust manifold stud - loosen it and the dipstick tube can be pulled up

·
Registered
142 Posts
When you buy a new one check the blade marks against the old one. it will have you 1/2 quart short.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,268 Posts
I guess we are going to have to put up with dipsticks a little while long.

I have had the dipstick on my liberty stuck and it was a PITA to replace. On my RT I notice it gets really hard to remove the dipstick when it has been sitting in the garage over the winter. I just lube the oring with some silicone dielectric gel (why...because it sits on top of my tool box) and it seems to help. Also put is on the oil fill cap which seems to always get stuck on my liberty and my old WJ.

·
Premium Member
2008 Challenger SRT8 #1101
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had this happen to mute yesterday while attempting to check my oil level.
Trying to add pics but the top with ring broke off and the round plastic beneath it is stuck in the tube.

Any recommendations to get it out?

Hoping I don't have to drop the oil pan and push it up (if accessible that way)
If you run out of options the dipstick is held on by a nut (or bolt) on the valve cover. Remove the nut and you can pull out the dipstick.
I think you're referring to the tube but that is awesome information if I can't get it out with the screw.

When you buy a new one check the blade marks against the old one. it will have you 1/2 quart short.

View attachment 1019199

View attachment 1019200
That's crazy!

Thanks for all the great tips and information on this! A wonderful resource of information this is whenever I have a question!

·
Registered
2019 Challenger RT
17 Posts
Interesting, this may explain why my ‘19 scat only needs 6 1/3 qts of oil to be “full”
Same here. Followed the owner's manual and used 7 quarts in my 2019 RT, only to find that it was over half a quart overfilled based on the dipstick and had to drain some oil. The serial number stamped on my dipstick matches the new one that Gapi showed. Wondering if I should fill 7 quarts and follow the owners manual or to use less oil to be within the dipstick range.

·
Premium Member
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
283 Posts
Same here. Followed the owner's manual and used 7 quarts in my 2019 RT, only to find that it was over half a quart overfilled based on the dipstick and had to drain some oil. The serial number stamped on my dipstick matches the new one that Gapi showed. Wondering if I should fill 7 quarts and follow the owners manual or to use less oil to be within the dipstick range.
No doubt, feel like we need an explanation or guidance from FCA. I trust no one now, not even the dipsticks :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
No doubt, feel like we need an explanation or guidance from FCA. I trust no one now, not even the dipsticks :ROFLMAO:
But even "dipsticks" have feelings. Oh, the humanity! :oops:

Reactions: shak3r

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Went through that recently and the new one is identical to the original, other than where the hump is located...

HOT ROD ON

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,181 Posts
Never had a dipstick issue, so no blue pills for me.........................

Reactions: ChallyTatum
1 - 20 of 28 Posts