Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm coming up on *my* first Challenger oil change here before the snow flies soon in MN ...........

I done searches here and elsewhere, and I seem to be finding different answers for what
torque to use on the oil drain plug on my 2010 RTC 5.7L.

I've seen 20 ft lbs and 25 ft lbs.

Can someone post an image of the service manual showing the correct amount of torque to use ?

Or point me to an online reference ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Make it tight but don't go crazy with it.... In all my years around mechanics and dealerships I've never seen anyone use a torque wrench on a drain plug... just common sense.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Make it tight but don't go crazy with it.... In all my years around mechanics and dealerships I've never seen anyone use a torque wrench on a drain plug... just common sense.
Agreed. I have been an automotive tech for 15 years and I have never once used a torque wrench on an oil drain bolt. But some people like doing stuff to the exact specs from time to time. Even when it doesnt matter.

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts
You don't need a lot of torque:

*oil pan is cast aluminum

*the drain plug has an very nice integral nitrile gasket and will seal readily.

PS: I've changed oil on both my friend's 300 and Challenger - the dealer's tech went nuts - it took both hands on a breaker bar to break the bolt loose...the oil filter on one of the cars - two hands and lots of force - thankfully the cap wrench held!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,817 Posts
Your right...but EVERYTHING has a torque value if you want to get technical, and the OP is.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The manual says 20 foot pounds for the 5.7
Which manual is that ? Can you post/email a picture of the page in the manual ?

My 400+ page owners manual says nothing.

I found a Chiltons manual that listed the following values:

Challenger 6.1L 20 ft lbs
Charger 5.7L 20 ft lbs
Challenger 5.7 25 ft lbs ...... sure seems like a misprint to me.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Here is what I have found in my 20+ years of rebuilding automotive transmissions...fasteners have torque specs for a few reasons, one of them being so the threads aren't over stressed which leads to thread ripping not to mention head rounding...go ahead and torque it

·
Registered
691 Posts
Which manual is that ? Can you post/email a picture of the page in the manual ?

My 400+ page owners manual says nothing.

I found a Chiltons manual that listed the following values:

Challenger 6.1L 20 ft lbs
Charger 5.7L 20 ft lbs
Challenger 5.7 25 ft lbs ...... sure seems like a misprint to me.
The 25 ft. lbs. was pulled straight from the Chrsyler service manual.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
I have the 2011 Chrysler Tech Authority Service Manual and for the 5.7 engines the torque is 25ft.lbs, and for the 3.6 and 6.4s the torque is 20ft.lbs
Exactly what he said!

·
Premium Member
7,294 Posts
My 2009 manual for the 5.7 is 25 ft-lbs.

Kudos to those with "calibrated" hands. For me, there is no way I can be sure I have 25 ft-lbs on the drain plug. Every single time.

I say, why take a chance? It's really easy to use the torque wrench.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Wanna flatten or crack the seal on the drain plug past the metal shoulder at the center? Go ahead and torque 25 ft. lbs. That's quite a lot for a plastic seal. I'll go with the ..... yeah tight, that's about right.

0 leaks or drips.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts