Dodge Challenger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
The problem is that the factory does not lubricate the oil filter gasket when installing the filter.

When changing my 392's oil for the first time after 800 miles it was easy to remove and my 5.7 RAM's were not.
The RAM's oil filter change is a messy ordeal to begin with being it's a tight location for the oil filter plus the oil filter is stuck on since the gasket was never lubed.

·
Premium Member
5,629 Posts
This is why I had a trusted tech/mgr change mine the first time. I supplied the oil/filter and they did the change for $25. Worth it to me. Documented in their computer on my account that I was in the 6 month time frame and supplied the factory required components and gave me a printout with my receipt.

Reactions: Donniet53

·
Registered
708 Posts
i just put mine up in the hoist in my garage and although it was tight not really any big deal getting it off..although i always lube the seal wipe off the mating surface and pre charge the oil filter, things most do not but im kinda anal on oil changes.

·
Registered
743 Posts
On my Challengers, I only had to use a wrench once on the factory installed filter on a 3.5 L. I lube the gasket and hand tighten between 1/2 to 3/4 turn once the gasket makes contact, they always come off by hand on the next oil change. Will use a piece of sandpaper if I need a little more grip

·
Registered
49 Posts
I used a strap wrench this last time, but I like that 3 finger one that cabdriver found. If I have an issue next time, I will try something different. Try changing the filter in a 2013 Fusion 2 liter turbo with a strap wrench! Now that is hard.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,904 Posts
:D

A Guy

·
Registered
2021 Challenger RT Shaker A8
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Use the Mopar SRT filters and a self adjusting filter removal wrench.
I have one just like that. No joy at first until I mangled the filter enough to finally get a grip.

They are a little tight but mainly because they put them on dry and they stick.

No need for K&N, just need the correct oil filter wrench.

76 mm/14 flute = fits MO-339 factory installed filter on 2015-up 5.7L.

93 mm/15 flute = fits MO-899 factory installed on all Scat Pack, SRT 392 and Hellcat 6.2L supercharged, Demon, Redeye, Super Stock, etc. Will also fit the SRT MO-041 filter and all aftermarket MO-899 replacement filters.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Is it metal or plastic?

Had problems removing the factory one as well, auto zone gave me the wrong size so I’m trying to also use a set of filter pliers but not enough room to operate. Finally I used a screw driver to punch a hole to let the oil drain while I borrowed my neighbor’s car to get the correct filter wrench size. Someone on the forum answered my inquiry to get the right size and finally got it off.
View attachment 1040728 View attachment 1040729

How in the world do you get your hand in there to get a good bite on the filter? 😮
That's my question. I have a pair of tooth-jawed oil filter pliers that I could manipulate onto the filter, but then no room to try to loosen the darned thing.

That is just wrong.

Thanks for all of the advice, folks. BTW, I'm 64 years old and have been doing my own oil changes forever; this was the most difficult filter I have ever encountered. I have a jaws-type filter remover, an old school steel strap wrench and the wrong size "cup" type tool. I ended up punching a couple of holes with a center punch and trying to twist them a bit to break it loose, and it didn't work. I tried the jaws one more time, and because I had mangled the filter shell enough to allow the jaws to really grip, I finally got it loose. Whew!

·
Registered
16,893 Posts
Is it metal or plastic?
It's metal just a rather thin stamped steel, but it fits well and usually gets the job done.

If you have a problem it will be with the first one getting that stuck factory filter off but I've done a couple with it and it has worked both times. Keeping a good push up against the filter as you turn will help. After that it's no issue.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,629 Posts
Here's all you need to know.......

Reactions: Nuke

·
Super Moderator
15,997 Posts
Make sure you get the old filter's rubber gasket off. On the first change they often stick to the filter's mounting surface. You don't want to install a new filter on top of the old gasket or the oil will leak badly.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Mini poll
When you lube gasket on new filter do you use:
(a) old oil
(b) new oil

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,448 Posts
Having the oil filter up top is certainly nice from an accessibility standpoint, and using a cartridge instead of a spin-on canister virtually guarantees it won’t have an issue with factory installed filter being hard to remove, but using an oil cooler housing that’s prone to cracking and hidden oil leaks over time doesn’t curry any favor.

Reactions: Donniet53
21 - 40 of 42 Posts