Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day on the forum. There was discussion of how much better the SRT oil filter was compared to standard. I decided to do one better and purchase one from Amazon Prime to save shipping cost etc... I would like to know if the one I received will fit my 5.7 it is a Mopar #MO-041. The cut away seems to be the same as an SRT but I'm just concerned of the fit, is this actually an SRT?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
If you change the oil a couple times a year and run synthetic oil, the filter isn't going to even be a factor as your oil is going to be pretty clean anyway and there won't be much of anything for it to catch.

·
Registered
10,134 Posts
The other day on the forum. There was discussion of how much better the SRT oil filter was compared to standard. I decided to do one better and purchase one from Amazon Prime to save shipping cost etc... I would like to know if the one I received will fit my 5.7 it is a Mopar #MO-041. The cut away seems to be the same as an SRT but I'm just concerned of the fit, is this actually an SRT?
Yes, that's the correct "SRT" filter for a 5.7 Challenger.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,649 Posts

Did not see the discussion of which you speak.

That said I am a little leery of the filter being *better* without some hard evidence besides just hearsay or because it has "SRT" on it.

The filtering may not be as good or it may be too good and restrict oil flow. It can have a different bypass valve that opens at too low a pressure or stays closed at too high an oil pressure.

IOWs, different filters means the filters are not the same and how they differ can be important. I'm not willing to risk an engine to confirm the differences are inconsequential.

Unless there is something official from Dodge that says the SRT filter is ok to use on the 5.7l engine (or any engine other than I think the Viper engine it originally was used on) I'd stick with the filter the factory officially recognizes/sanctions for use on the 5.7l engine.

·
Registered
10,134 Posts

Did not see the discussion of which you speak.

That said I am a little leery of the filter being *better* without some hard evidence besides just hearsay or because it has "SRT" on it.

The filtering may not be as good or it may be too good and restrict oil flow. It can have a different bypass valve that opens at too low a pressure or stays closed at too high an oil pressure.

IOWs, different filters means the filters are not the same and how they differ can be important. I'm not willing to risk an engine to confirm the differences are inconsequential.

Unless there is something official from Dodge that says the SRT filter is ok to use on the 5.7l engine (or any engine other than I think the Viper engine it originally was used on) I'd stick with the filter the factory officially recognizes/sanctions for use on the 5.7l engine.
Search and learn. That filter is safe for a Challenger 5.7 and 392.

Reactions: Bob Ricewasser

·
Registered
15,838 Posts
Straight from the Mopar Performance Catalog ..

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After checking the past forum I see the # difference is based MO-041 being a stocking number. The back of the box has the part number. I should have done my homework instead of posting.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I should have done my homework instead of posting.
You're now my favorite person. :)

As noted: 05038041aa

Some folks like to pontificate and post novellas with no content. Some don't know how to check the pressure in their tires. Take posts that lack substance with a grain of salt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts