Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whatever you want to call the rubber seal in the filter... Did anyone else have an issue of the seal from the factory filter sticking to the motor?

·
Super Moderator
15,585 Posts
It can happen - the filter gasket is applied dry at the factory and will stick to the filter mating surface. Its a known issue to watch out for.

When you put a new filter on, be sure to apply a film of oil to the gasket - and of course, remove any residue or remnants of the old gasket it any stuck on there.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Yes, it can stick and come off the filter base.

When I first started in a dealership I replaced the filter on my dealer owner's wife's car along with an oil change. Filled her up with 5 quarts and took a test drive. A ways down the road there was A LOT of smoke coming out from under the car. The filter was leaking. I checked it and I could see the oil O-ring had blown out. I was able to remove the new filter. Removed the old o-ring and screwed the filter back on. I hitch hiked back to the dealer. The service manager was ready to give me the next car to service. I said I am not done with the last one yet. He said where is it? I said down the road. I grabbed some oil went back and got the car. Brought it back. The was the last and ONLY time that has happened. (to me)

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
Oh yes the factory filter gasket stuck - but it pealed off the engine no problem.

ALWAYS check to make sure the old gasket doesn't stick when removing the filter. I have had it happen many times over the years, even when applying oil to the gasket before installing the filter and tightening to the manufacturer's spec.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts