Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a quality oil filter wrench for my 2012 SXT? The Lisle wrenches at Amazon have too many complaints of slpping. Thanks for input.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Never use a wrench, always put it on hand tight and take it off the same way. If you really need one I like the one that is a nylon strap and as you archet it the band tightens up.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I just use a cheap adjustable wrench. Works like a charm. 95% of people already have what they need to take this off.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
^^^^

This. The oil filter has a hex head on top of it. Thats what it's used for....use it!

An awesome invention! And yes, it takes a 24MM socket. The simplest oil change I ever did.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Filter hex head

Probably took a cue from K&N. Been using their filters for years. Only difference is ALL of theirs are 1" hex at the end. Need too pick up a 24mm socket at Lowes tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Just beware when using a wrench to tighten it, when it wants to stop turning then you're done. Over time, due to heat cycles, the composite can become brittle and over tightening can break it. It's not a compression seal like the HEMI oil filter, it's got an O-ring and just needs to be tightened enough for the flange on the cap to be snug against the filter housing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not a chance. Been doing this for years, although not quite like this. Some engineer(s) finally grew a brain and managed to get the idea across to the management suits and bean counters. Certainly eliminates the spill mess factor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts