Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing first oil change and had an issue with type of oil. I was out buying oil and could not look up type on phone. Called dealership service dept and asked if 5w20 is used in 6.4 models. Service dept guy said yes and also they take 7 and 1/2 quarts. I went home and checked manual and the manual says 0w40. Is there something I am missing? I will obviously go with manual, but wanted to ask the others on here if they have heard this. I live in Florida but this can't be a reason. Thanks

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am using 0W40 pennzoil, thats what they recommend from factory. You also can't go wrong with moble 1. But to awnser your question 0W40

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Add about 6.5-6.75 quarts too as 7.5 will overfill it big time. No point in even having a dipstick with that much oil in the motor....

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Penzoil 0w40 and SRT filter

Attachments

·
Registered
14,503 Posts
Called dealership service dept and asked if 5w20 is used in 6.4 models. Service dept guy said yes and also they take 7 and 1/2 quarts.
Amazing! I'd go over there and make a stink about this and would also like to know how many other 392 engines have gotten 5W20 at this dealership.

Did you do your survey yet? I'd definitely put this on it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: Triz

·
Registered
275 Posts
A lot of dealers seemingly find a way to screw up oil changes. I did exactly 7 quarts with filter on mine. I used Amsoil signature 0w40 instead of pennzoil.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I've been using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Pure Synthetic 0w40 in my 392 with the white SRT filter. Good combo. Actually quieted the lifter chatter down a bit from the Amsoil I was using before.

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
The engineers spec it at 7 quarts with a filter and they are who determines what the manual says.
Either Mobil 1 or Pennzoil is fine.

Reactions: teddyp

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
You're gonna get a zillion different answers on this but I use Mobil 1 0w40.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Go by the manual and the dipstick. The question was asked in a SRT engineers chat on another forum and they suggested to go by the dipstick, not a specific amount of oil.

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
Go by the manual and the dipstick. The question was asked in a SRT engineers chat on another forum and they suggested to go by the dipstick, not a specific amount of oil.
The engineers built an engine with a given pan size, there is an exact amount needed to fill it without using a dip stick. One of my cars says 5- 3/8 quarts and another is 4- 7/8 and the next one is 4- 1/4, so I'd say that is pretty specific and not needing to use a stick to verify it. Just drain the crankcase and remove the filter and you're close to empty, then fill it back up.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Those same engineers r the ones that said use the dipstick!

·
Registered
504 Posts
A lot of dealers seemingly find a way to screw up oil changes. I did exactly 7 quarts with filter on mine. I used Amsoil signature 0w40 instead of pennzoil.
This plus K&N Filter.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
If you read what the engineer wrote, adding 7 quarts and a new filter will likely result in an overfilled crankcase. I put this theory to the test and sure enough, if you drain your car to a slow drip, replace the filter and then add 7 quarts, you will end up with the oil sitting about 1/4 inch above the cross hatch markings on the dip stick.

I would guess that at this level, the car is running about 3/4 of a quart over the fill line. Given the size of this motor, I don't believe this will cause any problems.

·
Registered
9,472 Posts
Interesting stuff. IIRC, on Dodge.com, the 6.4/392 is shown to need 7.5 quarts. I know, I know, Dodge has numerous discrepancies on various things, but this is what they are showing.

Don't have my SP yet, so I can't check for myself. However, with the lowly little 5.7 that I had, if I let the oil drain out completely and put in 7 quarts + a new filter, the dipstick was always right on the "full" mark.

With the 392 having an oil cooler as standard, I'm assuming that there's some oil in that. Can anyone confirm if the oil drains out of the cooler system, or does it stay in it??

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
In my car it put the oil at the full mark. If it's too much oil they should have revised the manuals once that condition was known. They revised the oil from 5w40 to 0w40 and notified owners so the fill level should be equally important.
The oil is not going to cavitate from being a 1/4 inch over.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Interesting stuff. IIRC, on Dodge.com, the 6.4/392 is shown to need 7.5 quarts. I know, I know, Dodge has numerous discrepancies on various things, but this is what they are showing.

Don't have my SP yet, so I can't check for myself. However, with the lowly little 5.7 that I had, if I let the oil drain out completely and put in 7 quarts + a new filter, the dipstick was always right on the "full" mark.

With the 392 having an oil cooler as standard, I'm assuming that there's some oil in that. Can anyone confirm if the oil drains out of the cooler system, or does it stay in it??
Based solely on my test, the answer appears to be no, the oil cooler does not drain and/or oil remains in the baffles.

I am going to measure how much oil 1/4 over the cross hatch marks amounts to and will post the results in this thread.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts