Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Pennzoil and SRT filter. Mobil 1 is always good too! Do it yourself and know it's done right. I work at a Chevy dealership and even though we have great employees...I would NEVER let the 10.00 an hour oil tech near my car. If you always knew a real mechanic was doing the work then OK. But no dealership does that anymore unless maybe a very small dealership. Most larger dealership have a stand-alone oil change area and use low pay guys to do the work. They don't make a lot of money doing oil changes anymore.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Question:
I have now 5000 KILOMETERS / 3100 MILES on my 2019 Scatpack and had to fill about 300 ml/ 0,31 quartn oil after a tour on the Autobahn.
I never had a new car that needs oil between the regular changes .. is that kind of normal ??

Thanks !

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Question:
I have now 5000 KILOMETERS / 3100 MILES on my 2019 Scatpack and had to fill about 300 ml/ 0,31 quartn oil after a tour on the Autobahn.
I never had a new car that needs oil between the regular changes .. is that kind of normal ??

Thanks !
Oil consumption varies. For a new engine to require 0.31 quarts of oil over I guess 3100 miles is of no real concern.

Top up the oil. In fact I would recommend an oil/filter service to remove that filthy initial oil fill and replace it with fresh oil. Then resume driving the car. Check the oil level regularly and with discipline. If the level goes down and by some considerable amount -- which I do not expect -- the engine could have an oil consumption problem. But it is unlikely.

·
Super Moderator
15,768 Posts
Question:

Thanks !
yes - especially at higher speeds / continuous operation such as on the Autobahn.

I've found it takes ~ 5,000 mi for these engines to break in and oil consumption will settle down.

My 5.7 had sporadic consumption during break in. My 6.4 had none during break in and doesn't have any between the 6K mile intervals either.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The 6.4 is a high-performance engine that actually isn't particularly "rough" on oil. Very different than a Nissan VQ series, that even in a Maxima tends to shear and destroy its oil very fast. The 392/6.4 runs its oil warm compared to some engines (220-230 degrees Farenheit) but that's a GOOD thing because its about the ideal temperature for oil- hot enough to "boil away" all the volatile blow-by, acid-forming chemicals, and water, but not hot enough to oxidize oil (that requires >>300F for extended periods).

Point being- brand isn't all that critical, but grade is. BUT USE 0W40! The Pennzoil 0w40 that comes from the factory is a very good product. Mobil 1 0w40 is one of the most respected oils in the world (and yes, its chemically different/better than Mobil 1 5w30, 10w30, 5w20, and so on). Amsoil Signature Series is excellent, and one of the first non-Pennzoil products to carry the full set of current Chrysler approvals (even the silly fleet trial that any API SN oil should be able to pass). Redline makes a superb 0w40. So does Royal Purple. So I'm not going to push one over any of the others, except to say that I use M1 90% of the time because its so readily available.

Filters- different story. Use a good one, preferably synthetic media. I hate the Fram "orange can" as much as anyone and would never use it, but the Fram Ultra is an excellent filter with screen-wire supported synthetic media. Royal Purple sells a great synthetic-media filter with wire mesh support. So does Purolator. For a step down from the premium filters to a good, solid semi-synthetic media filter without mesh backing, its hard to be at a Mobil 1 filter, which is roughly the same filter as the "SRT" filter you get from the dealer. The SRT filter is good, but not as good as a Fram Ultra, Royal Purple, or other full-synthetic.
If that's the case with the temperature running that high, why do so many people install a lower temp thermostat in the Challenger?

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
565 Posts
If that's the case with the temperature running that high, why do so many people install a lower temp thermostat in the Challenger?
Because there are a lot of people that think they know more than the FCA engineers.

I question whether many of them actually know how a car thermostat -- or even their home thermostat -- functions.

Reactions: TomDK

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,605 Posts
180° thermostat was an old school "trick", so it's mostly habit. It can work along with tuning in the right situation

A Guy

41 - 47 of 47 Posts