Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should note that the car is up on jack stands when I took that pic, which is probably why it's pooled at the back of the manifold.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
you running a catch can? most of the issues with oil in the intake is alleviated with a catch can. some oil is going to get on there just by the blow by from the engine alone. older cars had a less efficient way of disposing of the gasses. they would vent vapors into the intake thru a filter and some of them would be sucked into the manifold and spent in the catalyst .
the new more efficient way is to actually "suck" these vapors into your manifold and then they get burnt thru the system the same way but actually in higher quantities. these buildups can cause some power loss thru basically a gummy residue on the sides of the mani messing with the flow and slightly with the mixture and then finally weezeling its way into getting our cars to retard due to the mix bla bla..

but I think you have a little oil in there i would clean it with some good tbody cleaner and check again after a few days. if you don't have a catch can get one. Im not getting HUGE amounts of oil in mine but it seems to be effective on eliminating what the crappy pvc system and epa has designed for.

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
Catch can will eliminate it worsening. Look how shiny this one is with 15K miles. Can 1 went on at 3K can 2 at 8Kish.

·
Registered
446 Posts
LF-

That looks similar to the amount I had in mine when I swapped throttle bodies when I first started my mods. Catch can will resolve that for you.

Rob

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
will it hurt? i don't know but would u add oil to your gas. i think not. catch cans do catch oil what percent, i don't know. i been saving the oil in my catch can will take pics and post when it gets warmer out,

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
will it hurt? i don't know but would u add oil to your gas. i think not. catch cans do catch oil what percent, i don't know. i been saving the oil in my catch can will take pics and post when it gets warmer out,
One can is very very efficient and catches close to 100% in typical driving based on my test. My second one was clean until 6-8 dyno pulls were made then #2 picked up some so I have just opted to leave it in place.

·
Super Moderator
14,139 Posts
Burning the oil that a catch can would normally capture will not hurt your engine, but, in time, may cause it to lose a little power. This was finally admitted by the SRT engineers last year in a chat session. For about $100, a catch can is cheap insurance (and they also look great). See photo, below, of my BT catch can with stainless steel hoses and fittings (lower left).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I am actually pulling the entire motor and will add a catch can when the new one goes in.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
There has been A LOT of catch can dialog on the site and all very good.. When Tim is done tuning my car and I get her back in the shop, the catch can will be installed, along with the cooling mods for the winter project. Your post, Cuda340, convinced me. Thanks. I'll post a pict. when done..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts