Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who needs oil anyway. lol. 25,000 miles on the same oil will do this.

These bearings are the worst I have ever seen. You can tell by the color of the rods that they got very hot.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
and who did that?

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
I put over 200K on my little 2.2L Dodge motor years back in my old Lancer ES and they looked a lot better than that, In fact I didn't even replace them at teardown. I did rings and drove it another 50K

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This came from a non-forum member. I would be willing to bet that there was probably a low oil problem also.

·
Registered
954 Posts
a little known fact while on the subject of worn out bearings;did you know a bad ground can actually wear out bearings rapidly,sounds crazy doesnt it?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
my father, the greatest auto maintainer in the world...well he had an f150 with a 302 in it.. 1996 model. He managed 259k miles on it with maybe 10 oil changes. I dont think he ever ran in low on oil but just NEVER changed the oil.. I got it with 259k miles with a locked up 302, poured wd40 in each cylinder after a few days broke the engine free changed the oil ( or blackened gear oil whatever it was) and drove it until 280k miles. I changed the oil every 2500 miles or so, changed the tranny fluid ect.
Honestly i had 2x the trouble he ever had with the truck, Its so funny I still make fun of him about his maint. practices, he changes the oil " when he thinks about it" he changes the coolant " when it stops working" 259k on the original tranny fliud..
I changed or fixed everything including the brake fluid, gear oil.. some people just have amazing luck.. he would check the oil and keep it topped off, always said it never smoked (and it didn't)
Then I change my oil every 3 to 5 k miles with the best oil I can buy, best oil filters bla bla bla.. I never had trouble either. but this poor sap gets a car goes 20k and pop.. was it "under warranty" or a higher milage car with 20k since last oil change?

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
Oil can go way way further than the oil companies like you to think. 3000 miles pfft I will do 5000 way more than enough in my book.
10000 on my diesel pickups
20000-25000 on the big trucks and that's sooner than the engine manufacturers suggest.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
My first real car was a '67 firebird and the owner I bought it from swore that he used only Quaker State and changed it regularly. When I had the timing chain jump (if you've had a 326 you know what I mean) i pulled it down and the heads were a solid block of black "putty" that had to be cleaned with a scraper and soaked for days to clean up. This was in 1975 so the can was only 8 years old. I sure hope oil has come a long way since then

·
Registered
820 Posts
Damn was he trying to kill that motor?

·
Registered
165 Posts
IMO, that's not so much 25K oil per say, that's substained high RPM and old oil not able to return into the pan fast enough. Run the pan dry and she'll kill the mains in a heartbeat.

Andy, bet your boy has a fair amount or rubber built up in the wheel wells. :pimp: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
339 Posts
My first real car was a '67 firebird and the owner I bought it from swore that he used only Quaker State and changed it regularly. When I had the timing chain jump (if you've had a 326 you know what I mean) i pulled it down and the heads were a solid block of black "putty" that had to be cleaned with a scraper and soaked for days to clean up. This was in 1975 so the can was only 8 years old. I sure hope oil has come a long way since then
It wasn't just the 326, it was all Pontiac engines in the mid 60's that came with the nylon teeth on the cam gear. According to Mac McKeller, chief engine and camshaft designer for Pontiac in that era, the nylon gears were a money saving change forced on the engineers by the bean counters.....sounds familiar, huh? The gunked up internals of your engine was certainly not the norm, and probably not solely responsible for the timing chain jumping. I've seen many engines with oil and filters changed religiously and with quality products that looked like hell inside when torn down, and others that were totally ignored when it came to upkeep and damn if they didn't look spotless inside after 80K miles....go figure?! I know that since the 60's the added detergents in oil has helped a lot and the advent of synthetics has really kept things cleaner. I'd bet that an older engine that was not taken care of would suffer from more ring blow-by and end up with a lot more sludge in the engine over time, but there's always the guy who can get away without maintaining his car and drive on forever. I'm not taking the risk, I'll change it often and with a good filter.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The wife has been driving it, not the boy. When it got to brad, oil dribbled out of the pan. Oddly enough, the mains look ok and the cylinder walls look brand new.

5,134 Posts
Without all the sloshing and friction losses due to oil, this engine must have made some serious power in its last 3 seconds of life :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
The wife has been driving it, not the boy. When it got to brad, oil dribbled out of the pan. Oddly enough, the mains look ok and the cylinder walls look brand new.
Oop,s that's what I get for only noticing the main caps off and not paying attention. :sleep:

·
Vendor
948 Posts
Damn. I had a customer about 3 years buy a brand new SRT-8, when it came time for his first oil change he got oil but couldn't grab a filter so he figured he'd just change out the filter next time. Never quite made it to the second oil change. Spun a bearing and because it still had the oil filter on it from the plant Chrysler refused to warranty it. We were a little worried that the 426 we put in there would come back due to something he did but he's been running it strong. I guess he learned his lesson.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
funny i have an exact story for my 73.. but it didn't jump timing

·
Banned
863 Posts
My Avalanche gets its oil changes about 10k miles that I use for work.
I have 280k miles on it.
Engine runs like new and strong as the first day I bought it. I can't bust Chevy's balls... they make a darn good motor.
Exxon regular gas was put in since day one.
If you know how to drive your car it can last a long time.....

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
This was a well known issue with Quaker State oil at the time especially when not changed as recommended. I've owned several Pontiacs of that vintage and they were/are clean as whistle inside even with over 250,000 miles on them. None used Quaker State oil. All had the dreaded plastic tooth timing gear.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
That was my point, Quaker State on the early 70's was very bad news. I had some sludge issues with Penzoil back them as well. My dad owned a Conoco station in the early 70's but I think we sold Shell Rotella oil (Conoco and Shell shared the same bulk plant) I always had good service from the gas station brands, particularly Rotella and Havoline. I have generally used only Castrol for years now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts