Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Second oil change I've done and 6.5 quarts puts the level just above the top safe line both times. I know the stick could be wrong, but what would you do, put in 7 and have it way up on the stick or 6.5 and a correct reading? Am I better off with the chance of a half quart over or under? I'm changing on ramps so I'm also wondering if I'm not getting out the full 7. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
7 quarts is only when you change the oil filter. I change mine every time and I fill the filter before putting it on and it takes about a half quart. Also never exceed the line on the dip stick. Some of the moving parts will sit in the oil and cause foaming and that's bad.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Fire it up for a couple minutes, let it settle a couple minutes and recheck on level ground.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Hi all. Second oil change I've done and 6.5 quarts puts the level just above the top safe line both times. I know the stick could be wrong, but what would you do, put in 7 and have it way up on the stick or 6.5 and a correct reading? Am I better off with the chance of a half quart over or under? I'm changing on ramps so I'm also wondering if I'm not getting out the full 7. Thanks.
You're never going to get all 7 qts. out. There's always some left in engine block.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're never going to get all 7 qts. out. There's always some left in engine block.
That's what I figure. I see so many posts saying that the manual says 7, so just put 7 in and scribe your dipstick and that will be your full level. I can see doing that if you're reading low, maybe the dipstick assembly wasn't seated all the way at the factory. I can't see taking that advice if you're reading high. Every dipstick assembly I've ever installed has a stop that won't allow it to be inserted past a certain point. I think if you put 7 in and you read high, you are overfilling.

·
Premium Member
9,358 Posts
The engineers are basing it on the size of the pan, if they say 7 quarts that's what I put in.

·
Registered
112 Posts
NEVER fill past the full mark. as was stated earlier overfilling can cause foaming..air bubbles in the oil is just like the oil level being extremely low.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
The capacity IS 7 quarts WITH the filter so if you put in 7 quarts MINUS one cup WITH the filter, I bet you are close if not right on the full line on level ground. I only did one change with mine and did not check it but my other drivers are like that and I know that is bang on.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Why are you guys making it so complicated?:SM002:
It's a 7qt. system. 100% of the oil never drains.
So fill it till its within the "full" range on dipstick.
Jeeze!:domotwak:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got it up to operating temp and drained the pan and removed the filter on the ramps. Let it drain for 15 minutes. I had 7 quart bottles of Mobile 1. Filled and screwed on filter, put drain plug in. Added the rest of the oil but held back 1/2 of a quart bottle. Let it down and checked it on level ground...was just over full. Drove it around, let it sit for 15 minutes, checked on level ground....was just over full. Checked it the next morning....was over full. With 6.5 quarts I'm a touch above the full line. If I add the remaining half a quart I'm gonna be in a place I'm not comfortable being in. A dry engine at the factory might take 7, but it makes sense to me that I'm not gonna get every bit of it out on regular oil changes. Next change I'm gonna change it on jack stands and let the car down to drain it, and count what comes out.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why are you guys making it so complicated?:SM002:
It's a 7qt. system. 100% of the oil never drains.
So fill it till its within the "full" range on dipstick.
Jeeze!:domotwak:
I don't think it's complicated at all, and I agree with you. In reading a lot of posts though I began second guessing myself, as a lot of people seem so certain that putting 7 quarts in has to be correct because the factory states that's it's capacity. To each his own I guess.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Just to throw my .02 in, my 5.7 six speed challenger will take 7.5 quarts every oil change
And that will read perfectly on the dipstick. Level ground, and the tube is inserted all the way. I know had to take it out when installing my long tubes

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I change my own oil and filter and fill my filter before the install 7qts never had a problem and it is always on the full mark line of the dip stick!

The oil in the engine after draining is not enough to move the dip stick at all! I been changing my own oil for the past 40 years lol

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fan-of-Dodge-Challenger/446115108789757

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
I got it up to operating temp and drained the pan and removed the filter on the ramps. Let it drain for 15 minutes. I had 7 quart bottles of Mobile 1. Filled and screwed on filter, put drain plug in. Added the rest of the oil but held back 1/2 of a quart bottle. Let it down and checked it on level ground...was just over full. Drove it around, let it sit for 15 minutes, checked on level ground....was just over full. Checked it the next morning....was over full. With 6.5 quarts I'm a touch above the full line. If I add the remaining half a quart I'm gonna be in a place I'm not comfortable being in. A dry engine at the factory might take 7, but it makes sense to me that I'm not gonna get every bit of it out on regular oil changes. Next change I'm gonna change it on jack stands and let the car down to drain it, and count what comes out.
Don't worry, you are doing it right and 7 quarts will definitely put you past the full line on the oil dipstick. I typically add 6.6 quarts, a full 7 has the reading WAY past full on the dipstick. Now you and I are probably over-reacting about the true effects of being slightly overfull, but I dunno, I like mine right about at the "full" line, and then I just add a tad from time to time as it dips below.

I don't know about the 392, but Resume Speed said long ago that when the SRT engineers were testing the 6.1 they ran it two quarts low and one quart overfull just to see what would happen and they saw no problems, so the good news is there is probably plenty of room for error.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
need to size up dipsticks and look at the markings on another Challenger to see if it is all the same!!! factory parts are not always the same!! just my 2 cents

I have read a thread on here where is putting in 7qts was not enough go figure!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts