Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am a new member and I have owned my 2010 challenger RT since 2011 and It has been dealer maintained since I bought it new. The air filter has never been changed since I have owned the car, It has 17k miles on it and I know the dealer has never changed the air filter so I asked my son to check it and it had a a lot of oil on it. I noticed a hose going to the engine from the air filter box. I want to know is this normal and if I take it to my dealer what should I expect my dealer to tell me what is causing this. Also it just had the timing chain recall done on it a couple weeks ago. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong spot but I didn't see a Problems/issues section.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I had a cold air intake installed on my 09 r/t then noticed oil all on the inside of my $50 air filter. turns out if you don't pour the oil in slow enough apparently it seeps back through that hose you saw going to the engine. next time make sure they pour the oil in slowly and check the air filter before you leave the dealership. oh and my dealership used to always charge for 8 quarts of oil when the car only holds 7. so they may be putting to much oil in also. needless to say I don't go to that dealership anymore.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
The oil has to be added slowly otherwise it fills the reservoir below the fill cap and back flows up the crankcase vent tube. a lot of dealers use a fill gun if they have a bulk oil system which will fill too quickly. Even out of a bottle there is risk of filling too fast as well. I use a funnel with a small throat which only allows a small steady stream of oil to keep this from happening.

·
Registered
571 Posts
All engines have some blow-by. Normally, the PCV system pulls the blow-by air into the intake. At higher throttle opening the vacum drops, so the PCV system does not pull air, or as much air, from the engine. Therefore, it will go into the filter box.
As the engine wears and blow-by increases, there will be more exiting the engine through the air filter.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
All engines have some blow-by. Normally, the PCV system pulls the blow-by air into the intake. At higher throttle opening the vacum drops, so the PCV system does not pull air, or as much air, from the engine. Therefore, it will go into the filter box.
As the engine wears and blow-by increases, there will be more exiting the engine through the air filter.
Except for a couple of things.

- The hose connected to the filter box and oil filler neck is the PCV make-up air source (Flows from the filter into the engine)
- Under low-vacuum conditions the PCV valve will be wide-open to allow crankcase pressure to flow out freely and into the intake via the hose on the passenger side (Out the PCV and into the intake to be burned off)

The oil getting into the air filter should "only" be happening due to filling with oil too quickly.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Except for a couple of things.

- The hose connected to the filter box and oil filler neck is the PCV make-up air source (Flows from the filter into the engine)
When blow-by is low and vacuum is high air flows into the engine from the filter box. When blow-by is high and vacuum is low, any excess blow-by gas will go into the filter box.
- Under low-vacuum conditions the PCV valve will be wide-open to allow crankcase pressure to flow out freely and into the intake via the hose on the passenger side (Out the PCV and into the intake to be burned off)
Blow-by gas that exceeds the PVC ability to flow air into the intake will go out of the oil fill neck and into the air filter box.

The oil getting into the air filter should "only" be happening due to filling with oil too quickly.
Yes, filling oil too fast may cause oil to enter the filter box.
However, the blow-by gases contain oil vapor, and when the vapor inters the air filter box it will leave condensed oil on the filter.
The same way a catch can collects oil.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Your problem is from the oil being added too fast. I directly witnessed this while filling my R/T last change. While pouring in the oil on the refill, with a big mouth funnel, i noticed some oil dripping down under the car. i was concerned. i traced to oil to the bottom of the air filter box, then once i opened the box, to the PCV inlet tube, and that to the oil fill neck. Replace the Air filter, and inform your dealer next time you take it in. Then check it on pick up. they'll get tired of giving you free air filters eventually.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I saw this problem brought up here before I did my first oil change and bought a small dia. funnel that will stick way down into the oil filler neck, I then cut 4 vee notches on the bottom of the funnel to help oil drain out when it's resting on whatever stops it, I can pour oil in pretty fast with this and have no problem with oil getting in the filter.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Yes, filling oil too fast may cause oil to enter the filter box.
However, the blow-by gases contain oil vapor, and when the vapor inters the air filter box it will leave condensed oil on the filter.
The same way a catch can collects oil.

The thing is, unless you're doing FI there will always be a vacuum pulling air and vapor out of the PCV valve and into the intake. There is never zero or positive pressure which will cause air not to flow out of the PCV. Low vacuum + high load = PCV valve wide open. If you have so much blow-by that a wide-open PCV valve doesn't provide enough flow that the excess is forced out of the make-up air inlet then you've got problems, IMO.

Oil vapor getting to the air filter via the make-up air line is known to happen on some vehicles, but I've NEVER seen it happen with our cars. Every instance I've seen of oil in the air filter has been due to filling with oil too quickly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts