Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed for the first time today I had a small pool of oil under the intake manifold on my basically stock 09 5.7 with 12000 miles. I'm assuming this is extra blow by vapors somehow leaking out on to the top of the motor? It was only a small amount that I was able to wipe up with a small part of a cloth attached to the end of a thick wire, but it still concerns me. Yes, I was one of the ppl to fall for the catch can when I first got my car and that does accumulate in the can but I guess some still gets by. Where can it be getting out at and wouldn't the car sense a leak and throw a code due to a lean mixture? So, should I be concerned? I'm wondering if it's been there since before put the can on her after the first few thousand miles or so.

It's barely visible unless you shine a light on the passenger side in the front behind the thermostat housing. I've never noticed it smoking under the engine assuming it would burn it off. What gives?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
attached is a photo to help see where i'm talking about...you'll see the glimmer of oil in the middle of the pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
small update:

took the car out today after wiping up that oil for about an hour straight of some spirited driving and didnt see any trace of oil after getting back.

wonder what the chances are of it being there for a while...like before i put that catch can on...

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
attached is a photo to help see where i'm talking about...you'll see the glimmer of oil in the middle of the pic.
It looks like the head gasket was weeping. Could be from a faulty gasket or more than likely slightly loose head bolt.

For M8 bolts, the spec is 25 ft-lbs of torque.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts