Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 2015 SRT 392 few days ago, looking at the oil pressure gauge, fully warmed up at idle I have 31 psi, down the road doing 75 mph I have 55 psi. Fresh oil change by previous owner.

My car has 50k miles

Like to compare to what others have in their 6.4 hemi.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
At what temperature?

I know you asked about th 6.4l engine oil pressure but I don't recall the oil pressure from my time with my 2018 R/T Scat Pack.

My ~2500 miles 2018 Hellcat hot idle oil pressure hovers around 40psi at around 212F oil temperature with it dropping to 39psi if the oil temperature gets any hotter. So far the hottest I've seen the oil is 230F. City driving with lots of stop/go even though I use a light throttle really heats up the oil temperature. And this has been on mild days.

At higher RPMs, around the 2K mark, the oil pressure climbs to around 60+psi and at around 5K I've seen 65psi.

This is with that Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-40 Full Synthetic with around 500 miles on the oil in the engine. So far the most miles any oil in the engine has been run has been 1500 miles, from 500 miles to 2000 miles. But since I had the oil changed at 2K miles I'll probably run it to 5K miles. Maybe. If I can find the time to take a road trip I might decide to have it changed earlier say at 4K miles so I head out with fresh oil in the engine.

To some extent oil pressure is like gas mileage. Everyone is going to report something a bit different. Some with better numbers. Some with worse numbers.

31psi ain't bad. My 2003 996 Turbo hot idle oil pressure hovered from around 1.7 bar (on real hot days) to 2.0 bar (cooler days). A "bar" is 14.5psi, so 2.0 bar is approx. 29psi. And my Turbo engine had 161K miles on it.

·
Super Moderator
15,397 Posts
Those pressures the OP posted is right where the 392 engine runs at.

If the oil is colder (or ambient temps are cold - winter) it will go up a couple of points

·
Registered
70 Posts
60psi is fairly standard. Once warm and low rpm it drops to 30 ish.

Normal.

If seeing 65 plus oil level likely high.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
those numbers are consistent with what I see. Though I have seen over 70 psi on occasion, only on cold mornings (-30 temperatures) and acceleration. I hate letting it get that high so I make a point of letting it warm up more now.

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At what temp? well I took a little road trip and I just noted the oil pressure, the engine was well warmed up the water temp was above 200 degrees and noticed the tranny temp was around 185 i didn't pay attention to the oil temp i guess, it was 85 degrees out. Just wanted to see what others had, since mine has a few miles on it and just wanted to compare is all.

My tahoe that has 76,000 miles on it has 80 psi when it first starts in the mornings and calms down to 60 psi hot at idle by the time I get to work I run 5 20 in it. I don't get on my tahoe til the engine is warmed hate to pop an oil filter gasket which I have done on other sbc engine with really high oil pressures.

Maybe next time I start up my srt I will see what the oil pressure is cold. I like to keep notes on things like this so I can compare the pressure over time. I didn't have pen with me to write anything down so I just took a quick mental note of what I saw and thought I would ask, next few days I will write things down and log the temps and stuff and add it to my paper work I have with the car.

I once had a bbc 396 that i raced for many years and it lost 5 psi of oil pressure each year til the engine finally let go, I just knew the clearances was getting looser and the engine was wearing down.

·
Super Moderator
15,397 Posts
The highest oil PSI at startup I've seen is ~ 75 PSI on both my 5.7 I used to own and the 392.

My GM cars that had oil pressure gauges would often indicate 80 at cold startup (5W -30 with those).

I take it easy on cold drive off to allow the oil to circulate, especially the valve train. That higher cold viscosity will take a bit more time to get to those tight clearances, plus the parts contract / expand with temperature as well.

During the warmup (oil temp < 100*) I'll see idle PSI 55 - 60 as its warming up. Typical operating temp will vary from 194 - 215* with temperatures from 25* - 55*F ambient.

The conditions in which you're driving stop/go, highway, grades/hills, extended idling will have an effect on oil temps.

At times I've seen idle psi drop to 29 sitting on a hot day and oil temp is 220*+. When you're rolling and air is flowing through radiator and getting coolant back to the 203*F point, oil temps settle back to 215-217*F

I run the virtual gauges on Perf. Pages so that info is present when I'm driving. If using Nav, I'll have the PP running in the background and can switch back / forth.

There's times when it would be nice to have the virtual gauges in the center and have horizontal bar graphic for multiple items (user selected) to monitor things. The center cluster only shows one item as a virtual gauge at a time...

·
Registered
2016 scat pack Challenger
1 Posts
I just bought my 2015 SRT 392 few days ago, looking at the oil pressure gauge, fully warmed up at idle I have 31 psi, down the road doing 75 mph I have 55 psi. Fresh oil change by previous owner.

My car has 50k miles

Like to compare to what others have in their 6.4 hemi.
I have a 16 scat pack mine is 30 at idle bought her new

·
Registered
22 Posts
those numbers are consistent with what I see. Though I have seen over 70 psi on occasion, only on cold mornings (-30 temperatures) and acceleration. I hate letting it get that high so I make a point of letting it warm up more now.
-30 good lord man where do you live

1 - 10 of 10 Posts