Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been sending samples of all my oil changes to Blackstone Labs and just got the results back from my 20k mile change. Copper has continued to run high and actually went up this sample from the last with only 4,000 miles on the oil. I'm not concerned just yet but with the abnormality was just curious if anyone else who sends samples in has seen this or something similar?

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
346 Posts
I would continue to watch it. Copper could come from the rod bearings. They are babbitted and the Babbitt is installed over copper.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Copper??

Is that an additive of the oil you're using?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
No. I'm using the standard Pennzoil Ultra. Copper it says is a wear metal from bearings and such.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would continue to watch it. Copper could come from the rod bearings. They are babbitted and the Babbitt is installed over copper.
Would there be another indication such as another metal going up if it is a bearing? I plan on only running 4,000 miles on this oil rather than the 5 I was doing just to check it again.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Isnt there an oil cooler on these, havent crawled under neath mine yet, purchased Saturday.

What are the numbers on all the other elements?

My guess would be from plating in the oil cooler.

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
392's do have external oil coolers.

As far as lab results go, about the only thing that you can do is keep an eye on them, and keep your ears open for any developing engine noises that may start.

Going to a dealer with lab results will only end up with an .................."OK, now what do you want us to do?"

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea kinda figured the results won't mean a thing to the dealer till the engine grenades

·
Super Moderator
15,388 Posts
the 392's oil coolers appear to be steel or aluminum from what I recall when I held one in my hands.

-I had installed the engine oil cooler on my former '09 and another friend's 5.7 as well.

·
Registered
346 Posts
If you are losing a bearing (or two) I would expect lead to be going up. That is not happening here. That is good unless you have already worn through the Babbitt. That is bad but I am sure you would know it by now. Like has been said....keep an eye on it. It could be an abnormality and will not repeat.

·
Premium Member
9,361 Posts
Other then sell the car if you don't like the lab results, what can you do? Chrysler wouldn't do anything based on that report.
Blackstone however made money.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Same kinda approach

Other then sell the car if you don't like the lab results, what can you do? Chrysler wouldn't do anything based on that report.
Blackstone however made money.
Maybe you have been defeated. Not sure. I think having oil lab results would really be used by an attorny if it ever got that far. Having a way to show abnormal wear would be useful for anyone that has an engine that locks up on them.

Cool info. Subscribed. :wink3:

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,975 Posts
I'd think copper isn't something that would be a big concern unless you also had high tin or lead readings, pointing more towards bearing wear. A Guy

·
Registered
115 Posts
the 392's oil coolers appear to be steel or aluminum from what I recall when I held one in my hands.

-I had installed the engine oil cooler on my former '09 and another friend's 5.7 as well.

I think it is what is internal, on BITOG, there are many reports and the oil coolers tend to leach copper into the oil, if there are other elements like lead etc elevated it might be a issue.

Would have to have more samples taken and see what the trend is. Note I am no expert on these reports, the lab should guide you.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think it is what is internal, on BITOG, there are many reports and the oil coolers tend to leach copper into the oil, if there are other elements like lead etc elevated it might be a issue.

Would have to have more samples taken and see what the trend is. Note I am no expert on these reports, the lab should guide you.
They are. That's what they said in the report wait and see what the next samples look like. Was just curious if anyone else had seen something like this. Not worried yet unless something else increases. It should also be noted that this change was done around the 6 month interval too because I didn't drive her as much thru the winter. So leaching from the cooler makes sense since the oil was in contact with it for a longer period of time.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I seem to remember mine being hi on my last 392. I'll have to look but I remember the tech said it was higher then usual for a engine that is already broke in. Probably at 12k miles. I'll have to see if I still have the report.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,361 Posts
Maybe you have been defeated. Not sure. I think having oil lab results would really be used by an attorny if it ever got that far. Having a way to show abnormal wear would be useful for anyone that has an engine that locks up on them.

Cool info. Subscribed. :wink3:
Not following what you're saying, say you own the car and are happily adding miles and just happen to be under warranty AND get your oil analyzed then you get this report. You go to the dealer and show them and what would you expect them to do? They aren't going to tear down the engine, they are going to send you out and they will let the clock run Dow, the miles add up or you're going to sell or trade the car. My money is on the warranty is up before a significant failure occurs and now your warranty is up so what does your attorney do now? Many people have been offered by a brand to tear it down at their own expense and IF they find what the customer claims then do the repair but who actually will put up that coin and then be told it's still within tolerances? It's any empty offer but they win the confrontation time after time.
This is all an actuaries job, crunch the numbers and as long as they can stay ahead of expenses they keep going forward. UNLESS it's a safety issue and they are forced to do a recall.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not following what you're saying, say you own the car and are happily adding miles and just happen to be under warranty AND get your oil analyzed then you get this report. You go to the dealer and show them and what would you expect them to do? They aren't going to tear down the engine, they are going to send you out and they will let the clock run Dow, the miles add up or you're going to sell or trade the car. My money is on the warranty is up before a significant failure occurs and now your warranty is up so what does your attorney do now? Many people have been offered by a brand to tear it down at their own expense and IF they find what the customer claims then do the repair but who actually will put up that coin and then be told it's still within tolerances? It's any empty offer but they win the confrontation time after time.
This is all an actuaries job, crunch the numbers and as long as they can stay ahead of expenses they keep going forward. UNLESS it's a safety issue and they are forced to do a recall.
Or unless you have a lifetime powertrain warranty, then time doesn't matter.

·
Premium Member
9,361 Posts
You've got a point there. Do you think if you showed them a report or two would tear down something that hasn't broken yet? A warranty is a huge waiting game with terms attached to a person or product etc. my guess is they stubbornly would give in and look inside unless something went bad enough and had to.
Now based on from all written here over the years on a paid for lifetime plan they will only do repairs up to the current value on a vehicle so down the road they conceivably could say an engine and labor is too expensive.
Anyone with experience here able to say how this would play out?
After decades of dealer interaction and reading stories and hearing from friends and family nothing warranty related to car dealers would surprise me. Go buy a new Hellcat for all that money and Chrysler still doesn't care, buy a Mercedes or or car at the same price and they bend over backwards to help you. When I bought my car a Mercedes E350 was within $200 and was the same parent company.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts