Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just completed a second oil sample through the dipstick of my 2016 SP. I purchased a Blackstone manual pump to complete the sampling. It appears the 1/4" OD tubing is too large. The tubing stops at a point short of the dipstick tube length which is apparently just short of the oil line. I had to lift the read of my car to get enough oil to sample.

Has anyone else take an oil sample through the dipstick? What size tubing did you use? Where did you buy the tubing?

-ccb

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Years ago at a Speedco Truck Lube and Tires shop I had an oil sample extracted from my Boxster through the dipstick tube. The tech had a pretty small diameter nylon tube that fit down in the dipstick tube. Be even then he had to "sharpen" the end of the tube -- I believe he cut it at a diagonal -- to get it all the way down to the oil sump.

Might mention the normal procedure for obtaining an oil sample -- at least for the big rigs and I would have used this for my Boxster but for reasons I'll cover below I didn't -- is to remove the filter and empty some oil from this into the sample bottle which in this case was then fed into the oil sample analysis machine that was on site. If the oil comes back "ok" the filter element is replaced and the oil level topped up. Big rig oil filters are rather large and a meaningful quantity of oil is "lost" when the filter is replaced.

The reason I didn't use this for my Boxster is I didn't have a spare filter cartridge and the o-rings that are replaced when the filter housing is removed. The filter proper is an insert into a filter housing. Had the car used a pretty much off the shelf canister (spin on) type filter I would have had him obtain a sample that way.

OH, the tubing. The tech might have had access to various diameters of nylon tubing at shop. Or he may have had some in his tool box.

For various tubing, nylon, rubber, etc., I used to buy this at a good hardware store. A well stocked auto parts store might also stock the tubing.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,695 Posts
I use an oil extractor to change my oil. But can't tell you what size the small dipstick tube size is, but if it fits in the top of the tube, it's the right size, and should fit all the way down

One of these will work
  • 0.23 OD x 8' long (5.7 mm OD x 2.4 m long) dipstick tube with connector
  • 0.26 OD x 8' long (6.6 mm OD x 2.4 m long) dipstick tube with connector

A Guy

·
Registered
162 Posts
My mechanic takes a sample after the first few seconds of drain during a change. Just have it analyzed for extended use and have Blackstone measure the TBN for the extra charge. Then no need to sample the hard way. I find that full synthetic is good for 10k on my 3.6 and custom B&D can go about 20k. I think Amsoil and Royal Purple do pretty good too. Unless you are hard on the oil, modern stuff is pretty good. Sticking with recommended intervals while under warranty might be a good idea though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts