Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, just joined the forums. I got my 2011 R/T about four years ago and only recently started looking into mods. I've installed a Spectre CAI and the suitcase muffler delete in the past month or so, and bought a Billet Catch Can that I plan on doing this weekend.

I've noticed some oil pooling around the left cylinder bank. Looks to be coming from the valve cover. I don't think its related to the mods I've done, but I wanted to ask around here and see if anyone knows what might be the culprit? Or any suggestions on diagnosing/repair? See attached album for pics.

For now, I'm just going to change oil/filter, install the catch can, and clean the block. If it returns, I'll update the thread.

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Not discounting what you’re seeing but look at the manifold gaskets. The pcv valve is on the left (passenger) bank and if the gasket leaks, will cause oil to pool on the head/under the intake manifold. The intake manifold could also just need retorqued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
17,238 Posts
its been leaking for some time - note the grime (sticks to oil) on front side of the head.

probably torque down the intake bolts (~ 7 ft lb).

if its the valve cover gasket - the passenger side is tight on the back rear to access the bolt due to the fender apron wire harness and the engine harnesses all at the back corner by the engine / cylinder head.

I've had to unplug PCM and move the harnesses (and unbolt ground cable) to gain space to access the bolt AND be able to get that cover on w/o bumping the gasket out of the groove.

Reactions: Bob Ricewasser

·
Registered
2013 R/T
230 Posts
Clean it off really good and run it to see the exact source. Right now it looks like it can be the intake or valve cover because of the pooling and the fans and road wind is blowing on the area.

Get a can of engine de-greaser and clean that area real good. Not on a hot engine. Warm is OK. Hot engines can wick moisture into places you don't want.

After you clean the area run it parked and watch, if nothing take a short drive and pop the hood.

Damn pool looks like an injector could be it but if that's oil, oh well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses everyone. Going to grab some engine degreaser and retorque the valve cover & manifold gasket. I'll report back with any updates.

·
Registered
2013 R/T
230 Posts
The valve cover bolts have shoulders on them that bottom out on the head. So if its not easy to turn do not force it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts