Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been asked numerous times. I’ve read many different threads. Here are a couple of pics of my dipstick oil level as of now. I did take a trip back to the dealer and got a mechanic out to have a look at my oil level. He said to go back to the oil change bay and have them take some out. It’s about. 1/4
DD2157B7-05EF-4C00-9C2F-15B00C0199D8.jpeg
B66A5CE1-4F5A-4F3F-92C2-E90E1B6FD8BB.jpeg
inch over. The mechanic said after 20
Minutes of driving it could expand to an inch. I went back to the oil change bay but it was 6 cars deep. I’m home now waiting for the car to cool down so I can do it myself. I should of just did the oil change myself. I go to them because of the warranty.

·
Registered
90 Posts
So what's the question? Drain a little bit out, it's not a big deal. I don't see any bubbles on the dipstick so I'm sure you're fine and it'll take all of 30 seconds to drain some

·
Registered
10,253 Posts
If 7 quarts + a filter were used on the latest change, leave it alone. It's fine.

My '19 SP has had readings like that for almost 4 years now. No issues and no problem.

Service schedule says with a filter and oil change to add 7 quarts.

Where it ends up on these dipsticks, it ends up. No need for any concern.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The question was should I drain a little out? The car was sitting about 30 minutes before I took the pics. I didn’t notice any bubbles either when I checked it. Yeah I’m going to drain some out to be on the safe side. Thx!

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,913 Posts
it'll take all of 30 seconds to drain some
Have you ever changed your own oil? It takes a LOT longer than 30 seconds :sneaky: to remove the cover under the undercarriage.

Don’t waste your time draining any out, OP.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If 7 quarts + a filter were used on the latest change, leave it alone. It's fine.

My '19 SP has had readings like that for almost 4 years now. No issues and no problem.

Service schedule says with a filter and oil change to add 7 quarts.

Where it ends up on these dipsticks, it ends up. No need for any concern.
Now that I’m looking at my oil jug what’s left over. He used a 5Qt jug and a tad over 2Qt’s as it shows here in the pic. So it looks more like a full 7qt’s of oil.

Attachments

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
7Qt’s and a few oz.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Have you ever changed your own oil? It takes a LOT longer than 30 seconds :sneaky: to remove the cover under the undercarriage.

Don’t waste your time draining any out, OP.
I always change my own oil, but I don't have my challenger yet. Is there something specific that makes it hard to access the drain plug? I just sold my 2012 Taurus which had a standard oil pan, not difficult to access. My wife's 2017 Pacifica has a cover going along the undercarriage, but there's an access panel for the oil plug. Again, about 30 seconds to unscrew the plug. I'll say 30 seconds plus the time it takes to drive it up on ramps, but I don't know if there's something particularly different about the challengers

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Besides setting up the ramps on a couple of 2x10’s for extra ground clearance, or two hydraulic jacks there are just 4 small bolts to undo the under cover to get at the oil drain plug and filter.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Besides setting up the ramps on a couple of 2x10’s for extra ground clearance, or two hydraulic jacks there are just 4 small bolts to undo the under cover to get at the oil drain plug and filter.
Interesting. Our Pacifica has one little plastic tab that you turn 90 degrees with a flathead screwdriver and then the panel drops and you have access to the drain plug. 4 bolts seems excessive. What's the point of these covers on the undercarriages? It's funny they didn't exist until recently, and all they seem to do is make it harder to work under the vehicle

·
Registered
10,253 Posts
Interesting. Our Pacifica has one little plastic tab that you turn 90 degrees with a flathead screwdriver and then the panel drops and you have access to the drain plug. 4 bolts seems excessive. What's the point of these covers on the undercarriages? It's funny they didn't exist until recently, and all they seem to do is make it harder to work under the vehicle
Air flow and helps keeps the engine bay cleaner.

·
Registered
379 Posts
don't go chasing hash marks on the dipstick man, as said, add the factory recommended amount, there are variances in dipstick tubes when mounted. drives me nuts seeing people chase hash mark readings

Reactions: Fawls

·
Registered
308 Posts
Now that I’m looking at my oil jug what’s left over. He used a 5Qt jug and a tad over 2Qt’s as it shows here in the pic. So it looks more like a full 7qt’s of oil.
I've never seen a 5 qt jug of the 0W-40, the couple dealers I've been to have used 7 single qts. The first time they used the full 7 qts & the dipstick level showed like yours, about a half qt over. Now I ask them to use just 6.5 qts, give me the remaining half qt and I'll top it off if needed. However 6.5 qts puts it at the top of the safe range.

I know the manual says 7 qt capacity, but it also has a warning & says don't overfill. I prefer to heed their warning.

If you stopped for gas & checked the oil level & it was at the top of the Safe area what would most people do? I don't know any of my car friends that would proceed to add an extra half quart, & I'm guessing a dealer would not either.

·
Super Moderator
14,993 Posts
I've never seen a 5 qt jug of the 0W-40, the couple dealers I've been to have used 7 single qts. The first time they used the full 7 qts & the dipstick level showed like yours, about a half qt over. Now I ask them to use just 6.5 qts, give me the remaining half qt and I'll top it off if needed. However 6.5 qts puts it at the top of the safe range.

I know the manual says 7 qt capacity, but it also has a warning & says don't overfill. I prefer to heed their warning.

If you stopped for gas & checked the oil level & it was at the top of the Safe area what would most do? I don't know any of my car friends that would proceed to add an extra half quart, & I'm guessing a dealer would not eitpeople her.
I have always changed my own oil. I buy Mobil 1 (0W-40) in 5 qt. jugs from Walmart for my 2009 SRT. After you drain the oil, there will still be a small amount left in the engine. Just add 7 qts. (with a filter change) and don't worry.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
don't go chasing hash marks on the dipstick man, as said, add the factory recommended amount, there are variances in dipstick tubes when mounted. drives me nuts seeing people chase hash mark readings
Scott Thx For your reply. He clearly added a bit more than 7qts of oil as shown on the pic of the jug. It could be about 3 to 5 oz more. I’ve read other threads that other hemis were run hard with a qt under and over and no problems. I was just a bit concerned. Thx!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Scott Thx For your reply. He clearly added a bit more than 7qts of oil as shown on the pic of the jug. It could be about 3 to 5 oz more. I’ve read other threads that other hemis were run hard with a qt under and over and no problems. I was just a bit concerned. Thx!
we don't know that for sure do we? so you're saying the tech opened an 8th quart and added some of that???? sorry don't think so, he added the 7qts I'm sure and called it day, you are chasing the hash marks man, because my level reads exactly the same after adding the factory recommended 7qts............

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,712 Posts

If you stopped for gas & checked the oil level & it was at the top of the Safe area what would most people do? I don't know any of my car friends that would proceed to add an extra half quart, & I'm guessing a dealer would not either.
In keeping the oil level low by putting in less than 7 quarts you honor one warning but in doing so you run the engine oil level low.

If the manual calls for 7 quarts of oil and that is what is put in the engine after a proper drain interval if this results in the oil dip stick showing a bit over full I'd go with the amount of oil that is in the engine. The actual amount of oil in the engine is what counts. The dipstick gets "calibrated" by the fact that the engine has the proper amount of oil in it and where the level is on the dipstick is where the markings should be but if the oil level is a bit above "full" I'd leave the oil level alone.

·
Registered
308 Posts
In keeping the oil level low by putting in less than 7 quarts you honor one warning but in doing so you run the engine oil level low.

If the manual calls for 7 quarts of oil and that is what is put in the engine after a proper drain interval if this results in the oil dip stick showing a bit over full I'd go with the amount of oil that is in the engine. The actual amount of oil in the engine is what counts. The dipstick gets "calibrated" by the fact that the engine has the proper amount of oil in it and where the level is on the dipstick is where the markings should be but if the oil level is a bit above "full" I'd leave the oil level alone.
I'm not saying 7 qts is wrong, it just doesn't match with the warning about overfilling. Depending where I look & what forum I'm looking at, some people use 7 qts and some use 6.5 qts so that the level does not indicate overfilling.

I don't think using 6.5 qts is running the engine low. Usually there's about a 1 qt difference between a dipstick's Safe area or add & full line. As the OP mentioned he's about a 1/4" over & that coincides with about a half qt. IOW if 7 qts did show full then a 1/4" down from full would still be in the Safe area.

I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm just trying to reconcile the two statements of using 7 qts but don't overfill, because you can't have both when doing an oil & filter change. I'd like to see a TSB or similar that states what is proper.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
we don't know that for sure do we? so you're saying the tech opened an 8th quart and added some of that???? sorry don't think so, he added the 7qts I'm sure and called it day, you are chasing the hash marks man, because my level reads exactly the same after adding the factory recommended 7qts............
Scott, first of all, I’m from Canada and our jugs are 4.73L/5Qt jugs. I always bring my own oil. He added a full jug plus a bit over the 2qt mark which is the right side Iine. I also know that there’s residual oil in the engine. I know he obviously added a bit more than he did because he showed me. I’ve had this before but my main concern was when I showed the mechanic which he thought was a bit over and told me I should take some out. When I do my own oil changes on my other vehicles I’ve always filled to the Center of the hash marks and checked later after a bit of driving.. I only take it in because of possible headaches with the warranty. I posted to see what some of your thoughts were. All good!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Scott, first of all, I’m from Canada and our jugs are 4.73L/5Qt jugs. I always bring my own oil. He added a full jug plus a bit over the 2qt mark which is the right side Iine. I also know that there’s residual oil in the engine. I know he obviously added a bit more than he did because he showed me. I’ve had this before but my main concern was when I showed the mechanic which he thought was a bit over and told me I should take some out. When I do my own oil changes on my other vehicles I’ve always filled to the Center of the hash marks and checked later after a bit of driving.. I only take it in because of possible headaches with the warranty. I posted to see what some of your thoughts were. All good!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts