Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve had this problem quite awhile now and can’t seem to find any info, so I came to the forums looking for help. My 2016 Scat Pack has been having a problem with its oil temp sensor. The oil temp sensor randomly shuts off while driving, usually when accelerating hard or making very tight turns. I’ve replaced the sensor itself and the same issue occurs, I’ve checked the wiring around it and it seems fine, no cuts or bare wire that I can see. The reason it’s so annoying is because when the oil temp sensor goes off, my car won’t go above 4K rpms. As soon as it goes on it’ll go back to normal. If anyone has any information please help.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
So I’ve had this problem quite awhile now and can’t seem to find any info, so I came to the forums looking for help. My 2016 Scat Pack has been having a problem with its oil temp sensor. The oil temp sensor randomly shuts off while driving, usually when accelerating hard or making very tight turns. I’ve replaced the sensor itself and the same issue occurs, I’ve checked the wiring around it and it seems fine, no cuts or bare wire that I can see. The reason it’s so annoying is because when the oil temp sensor goes off, my car won’t go above 4K rpms. As soon as it goes on it’ll go back to normal. If anyone has any information please help.
Hi Inferno392,
Sorry to hear you are experiencing this concern, we certainly understand why this would be concerning. We kindly recommend having your dealer inspect this concern for you as they are in the best position to assist. If you end up addressing this with your local Dodge dealer, please let us know via PM. We'd be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.
Rob
DodgeCares

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
A previous car would in a sharp turn on a rough road result in a very high coolant temperature reading. The dash coolant temperature gauge never reacted. Discovered this because I had a data logger connected to the car's OBD2 port and I won't go into the details as to why I even bothered to go through thousands of coolant temperature data messages.

Seems the sharp turn and the rough road combined to cause the sensor connection to momentarily lose electrical contact. Believe it or not I never bothered to try to rectify this. There was no sign of any issue from the engine arising from this very intermittent and brief behavior. The engine controller must have had some kind of "filter" to prevent the engine controller from reacting to a brief big jump (or possibly even a big drop) in coolant temperature.

'course, oil temperature changes, large ones, or the loss of the oil temperature signal obviously is considered noteworthy by the engine controller hence the RPMs being limited.

You have replaced the sensor and checked the wiring. Are you sure the connector, the wiring harness connector is good? A wire at the connector can break or possibly develop a marginal connection to one of the pins or sockets in the connector.

This is a bit tricky. To properly check this might require a continuity test of the wiring from the harness connector all the way back to the engine controller. In this case the battery should be disconnected and any residual power drained from the car's electrical system.

Also, anytime you work with the car's wiring you have to be very mindful of the risk of static electricity. If you static discharge into the wiring connector you can zap the engine controller or possibly some other controller.

There may be other checks/tests a tech would perform.

Unless you are a pretty experienced DIY auto tech and are comfortable working with car electrical systems my advice would be to take the car to a professional Dodge tech. Chances are this is not the first time he's seen this problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts