Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, going for my first oil change 2014 Challenger RT Shaker 5.7 auto. Do I go synthetic, blend, or regular?:scratchhead:

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Oil is a "religious" topic that has been covered countless times on here, I would suggest using the search function first and then asking questions if you're still unsure. :D

Personally, I use Mobil 1 5w20 EP with the SRT filter. You'll probably get a different answer from every person. :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
All depends on your driving conditions, change intervals and budget. All name brand SN rated oils are good for 5K OCIs under most conditions. Syn oils come into play with longer intervals or extreme hot/cold conditions.
As already noted, this topic is like discussing politics or religion...
Stick with a brand name oil & filter and you're good.

Reactions: btcm

·
Registered
601 Posts
Ok, going for my first oil change 2014 Challenger RT Shaker 5.7 auto. Do I go synthetic, blend, or regular?:scratchhead:
Just curious but how many miles did you put on that shaker? I got my blacktop about the same time as you. I plan on changing mine at 1k with full synthetic. However I'm only at about 400 so far. It's not a daily driver by any means and really haven't had time for a somewhat longer trip in it. Hoping to put on about 200-300 miles this weekend actually.

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just curious but how many miles did you put on that shaker? I got my blacktop about the same time as you. I plan on changing mine at 1k with full synthetic. However I'm only at about 400 so far. It's not a daily driver by any means and really haven't had time for a somewhat longer trip in it. Hoping to put on about 200-300 miles this weekend actually.
I'm almost at 700 miles. The damn dealer wants $82.00 for synthetic. I get a whole 10% off for being retired military. I do want to keep a record of all my maintenance as I've done for all my vehicles. I used to do all my own oil changes just getting older now and don't want to deal with cleaning up and getting rid of the used oil so I'll just have to eat it and get over it.:)

·
Registered
601 Posts
I'm almost at 700 miles. The damn dealer wants $82.00 for synthetic. I get a whole 10% off for being retired military. I do want to keep a record of all my maintenance as I've done for all my vehicles. I used to do all my own oil changes just getting older now and don't want to deal with cleaning up and getting rid of the used oil so I'll just have to eat it and get over it.:)
You should get a few free oil changes from the dealer but it's not going cover full synthetic. I suggest you just get your own full synthetic and bring it with you and have them use it. Shouldn't cost you a dime then other than the oil of course. Going forward just buy it in bulk when you see it on sale and find a local guy that will do the swap for you for like 20 bucks. As for the records part, I keep a book in the glove box and mark down the date and mileage when I do anything to it. I have a small accordion folder in there too where I keep any receipts or service records. Sure it's not in the dodge computer but you still have proof of service and maintenance. Heck, I even have a gas log going too in the back of the book and I plan to even enter in when I take longer trips in it kind of like a journal fashion in the book. If you ever sell the car privately people LOVE that stuff.

·
Super Moderator
16,633 Posts
If you want the longest engine service life and least amount of wear = full synthetic.

Always observe the oil change intervals for your model year - even with synthetic.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Don't know about other dealers but mine, autonation is using Mobil1, and this is a change from what they used to use.

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My dealer sucked I didn't get anything I'll never buy another car from them.

·
Premium Member
10,044 Posts
No name brand oil if changed on schedule will harm your car, mate that to a mopar, Mobil1, SRT or other quality filter and you'll be fine.
If you desire and are able to go further Mobil1 is a great synthetic. I see it at Walmart for $25 for 5 quart jugs. There are other competent full synthetics but happy with what I have.
Enjoy racking the miles on that new car.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
For the first few oil changes, I'd just let the dealer change it with their standard oil, the car will tell you when it needs to be changed, 800 miles, 2000 miles and 5000 miles are estimates, but there isn't a need to change it any more often than it tells you. I'd say after six months to a year, swap it to synthetics if you prefer that oil.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I went for my first oil change today. I went with synthetic and tire rotation for 64.00. Shouldn't the read out on the computer read 100 percent ??

·
Premium Member
10,044 Posts
My dealer sucked I didn't get anything I'll never buy another car from them.
There is more to a dealer relationship than the sales experience. How is their service departments reputation?
You may like them enough to go back.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
I went for my first oil change today. I went with synthetic and tire rotation for 64.00. Shouldn't the read out on the computer read 100 percent ??
:confused:

Why and where would it say that? This isn't a GM or a Honda... :)

All the display will tell you is when the oil change is due (It'll ding and display a message to let you know), there's no percentage/life left display.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Kind of hard to stress over a 20.00 oil change from the dealer, they always send a coupon in the mail for 19.95 oil changes, I doubt I'll be going back to them now that the warranty is over, unless I have something else to have looked at. I like synthetics myself, but don't see a need to use em on a 25k mile car that never sees track time. I use synthetics on my turbo car, but not on the 5.7L.

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes it should. At least it does on my wife's Trailblazer.

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Stuck my foot in that one.

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had my oil change at the dealer. I went with syn and the total cost was $88.I don't know why I bother with the dealer. I buy syn on my own and take it to a local garage and them change it on my wifes car. They charge me $22. I guess I just want that dealer paperwork.

Reactions: 1970FJ6T/A
1 - 20 of 20 Posts