Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,576 Posts
Royal purple 5w20. Some have used 5w30 mobil-1 but technically mobil-1 does not meet dodge oil requirements. Come to think of it I am not sure if RP does. On my 5.7 GC I use 5w20 mobil-1...no issues so far.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Royal purple 5w20. Some have used 5w30 mobil-1 but technically mobil-1 does not meet dodge oil requirements. Come to think of it I am not sure if RP does. On my 5.7 GC I use 5w20 mobil-1...no issues so far.
Hey Chally....What does that mean that Mobil 1 doesn't meet Dodge oil "requirements"??

Is Dodge trying to say PENNZOIL is THAT much better oil than Mobil 1 or Castrol or Shell ect.......?? I call BS on that one.

If 5/20 is recommended you should be able to use ANY, name brand 5/20 oil and NOT void your warranty.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,576 Posts
Hey Chally....What does that mean that Mobil 1 doesn't meet Dodge oil "requirements"??

Is Dodge trying to say PENNZOIL is THAT much better oil than Mobil 1 or Castrol or Shell ect.......?? I call BS on that one.

If 5/20 is recommended you should be able to use ANY, name brand 5/20 oil and NOT void your warranty.
Mobil 1 does not meet the MS-6395 spec that is stated in the owners manual but other Mobil Super products do.
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/8076321-post27.html

It is BS because Mobil 1 out performs Mobil super.
Mobil - Frequently Asked Questions | Bomgaars

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,987 Posts
RP 5W-20 and 5W-30 meets Chrysler MS-6395T

A Guy

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Another Mobile 1 Advanced full synthetic, you can usually find the 5qt jug for around $26 at walmart. I also use the wix filter 58799XP

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Oil might be like fighting words.... LOL

I just changed my SPS to Amsoil right at 1,100 miles

Depending on where you live it might be difficult to source locally, but I prefer Amsoil based on all the research I did. I really wish it would of been Lucas since their in my backyard.

·
Registered
404 Posts
2014 RT 5A though….don't think the motor is much different. Run Mobil 1 and SRT filter. There are at least 2 guys with RT with over 200,000 miles and no problems, and another running semi-synthetic with over 200,000 miles but is burning oil. The oils used today are so much better than back in the day, I don't think you can go wrong with a brand and blaming said oil for problems unless your never changing it doesn't work for me. You either got a good engine or a ticking bomb that wasn't quite up to specs somewhere and it will surface sooner…..or later.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Y'all need to talk to Brian at BND Automotive, chemical engineer who blends a 7.5 W40 WEIGHT oil specifically for the Chrysler Hemi's, prevents Hemi tick! 10,000 mile intervals, he developed for his own SRT ..Quantum Blue! money in the bank! OK, I spoke from experience, I bought a 2012 R/T Road and Track Charger ,NEW -6 MILES on it.. changed the oil every 3000 miles religiously... Dodge says 5000 mile schedule, pampered is the word/condition of my full maintenance schedule, @ 100,900 miles wiped the cam , #8 cylinder miss fire, made many internet search's found that 2009 and up Hemi's do in fact have upper lubrication issues, even file a claim with Chrysler and after a month if back and forth phone call and emails they stood tall and paid 80% of the $5200 dollar rebuild, so ask police and state troopers how many Hemi's go down due to long idling times...yet they still love em, Been a MOPAR guy since 1974, you know what they say about opinions..... this is mine and I will stand by it... thanks for listening... Dave
Another shill post...third forum I've seen this copy/paste BS on.

You really are everywhere hocking this non-Mopar approved snake oil, eh?

I'd sooner use Royal Purple.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
I use RP 5W20 with K&N filter. I would use Rotella T6 if they made a 5W20, I just think the 5W40 would be to much.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
If the car maker specs 5w-20 for your car's engine yes, 5w-40 would be "too much".

That Rotella stuff.... At one point Porsche Turbo owners were all hot on this oil, because it had "turbo" somewhere on the bottle and even though it was an oil intended for diesel engines. (And even though Porsche didn't even approve it for its diesel engine vehicles.)

I dug up the MSDS on the 5w-40 oil and found it could have around 25% mineral oil blended with some synthetic oil base and had some other characteristics that just didn't agree with any requirements Porsche spec'd for oils for its sports cars.

My advice would be to stick with an oil approved by Dodge for use in your car's engine. Change it at reasonable intervals. That way you don't have to worry if some non approved oil you selected is going to be ok.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts