Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,719 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) You want 5w-20 for your 3.6L

A Guy

Reactions: Wizard of Iz

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
848 Posts
20w50 is usually a summer oil for hard working motors like diesels that are built with larger tolerances. We used to use it even in muscle car motors that were getting a bit loose but todays motors have much tighter tolerances and oil that thick just doesnt flow good enough to carry off heat. Most new cars use a 0w or 5w oil for that reason.

·
Premium Member
2,989 Posts
They still make 20W-50? That is waaay too thick to put in a modern engine.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,205 Posts
They still make 20W-50? That is waaay too thick to put in a modern engine.
Not necessarily. It depends upon the engine. I believe some Ferrar engines require 20w-50 (or possibly 10w-60) and likewise some BMW engines -- at least those from some years ago -- require 10w-60 oil. I recall considering a BMW M3 coupe and its 6-cylinder engine with "solid" lifter valve train required a similar oil.

But 20w-50, 10w-60, 15w-50, even 5w-50 oils should only be used in engines for which the automaker approves.

As an aside my Porsche 996 Turbo could use 0w-40, 5w-40, or even 5w-50 oil the last two oils only if temperatures were above -25C. At some point I switched to using 5w-50 oil in my Turbo. But the hot idle oil pressure did not go up. The oil was not "thicker" it just had better HTHS numbers compared to the 0w-40 oil.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Gt 500 uses 15w 50 FYI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Gt 500 uses 15w 50 FYI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is that a factory recommended oil? If so wow!

BTW, some years ago when 15w-50 came up because it was an oil "recommended" in the owners manual of a car I owned at the time. However, the owners manual was terribly out of date, the automaker never bothered to up date it. Instead the automaker provided its dealer network with a list of a approved oils none of which included any 15w-50 oil.

I looked into 15w-50 oil and it is not a very good oil. It suffers from viscosity degradation among other things.

Talked to a guy who insisted on running 15w-50 in his air cooled car engine instead of the 0w-40 oil the factory called for. He admitted gas mileage with 15w-50 was not as good as it had been with 0w-40 oil and his track lap times were a bit lower also, but even after admitting this he still insisted on running 15w-50 oil.

If I owned a GT 500 and if the factory called for 15w-50 oil I'd use it but I wouldn't like it.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,497 Posts
I have a Question, My 5.7L uses 5W 20 would it be okay to use the same 0W 20 that the 6.4L use? I no longer have MDS or VVT due to a cam swap.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I have a Question, My 5.7L uses 5W 20 would it be okay to use the same 0W 20 that the 6.4L use? I no longer have MDS or VVT due to a cam swap.
What do you hope to gain by switching from the recommended 5w-20 oil to the 0w-20 oil?

While I am a "fan" of 0w-XX oil as the "0w" offers "better" cold start protection if the factory recommends 5w-20 oil that's what I'd stay with. It is not like cold start was not factored into the factory's oil recommendation.

If 0w-20 is an alternative oil and recognized by the factory as such then you can choose to use that oil if you want.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,497 Posts
I just thought the full synthetic would be better. I only change my oil once a year, before I park it for the winter. Cold staring is not a concern I have

·
Registered
16,216 Posts
The 5W-20 should have MS-6395 as recommended so any synthetic that meets MS-6395 would be fine.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I just thought the full synthetic would be better. I only change my oil once a year, before I park it for the winter. Cold staring is not a concern I have
If the factory has a synthetic oil on its list of oils approved for use in your 5.7l engine then if you want to run a synthetic oil from this list do so.

·
Registered
16,216 Posts
There was someone here that had a 5.7L M6 (no MDS) that was ticking and she said that Dodge said she could run the same 6.4L 0W-40 to help quiet the tick.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
5w20 synthetic is what I ran for years on my 6 speed 16' RT. My last oil change I put 0w40. Not a difference in the slightest and it's actually recommended on some 6 speeds

1 - 19 of 19 Posts