Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
about the exhaust system.
I know it's an "almost straight through" exhaust with electronic valves.
After watching this video,..this engineer makes it sound like you can just flip a switch and the valves can be open all the time. Is that correct? Or is it only active when you step on the "GO" pedal?

***I know on the Corvette you can pull the fude on the electronic valves and be loud all the time. I assume you can do the same here.

In this vieo, he mentions the exhaust at the 3:20 mark.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Yeah, little confusing. I think they are confused also because I have heard different things.

Reactions: Supercharged_Fun

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, little confusing. I think they are confused also because I have heard different things.
HA HAAAAAAA
It's like,......okay??? Is it a flip the switch thing, or does the electronuic valves only open at WOT or when you get on the "GO" pedal?
So confused. lol :bangin:

·
Registered
210 Posts
My guess (and it's total speculation) is that in normal driving the valves open only at WOT. But in Track mode, they just stay open.

·
Registered
381 Posts
It's not confusing at all. It's a variation on the current "manual exhaust flaps" from the Charger, 300 and Jeep but with an electronic switch that let you flap them open all the time.

I'd imagine it's like the other active exhaust systems out there - it's designed for fuel economy and sound suppression and lower throttle inputs, and goes open under mid-to-WOT applications.

Lots of videos of a similar system on the Jag F-Type.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My guess (and it's total speculation) is that in normal driving the valves open only at WOT. But in Track mode, they just stay open.

This ^

One of the 100 videos or tech discussion it is noted that in track mode they remain open. I wonder if it even meets DOT decibel requirements or they convinced them that since the mode is for track use only that they didn't have to comply. I'll assume since DOT is a government entity that it still meets DOT even in track mode which means further modification will be needed to ensure you don't comply;)

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not confusing at all. It's a variation on the current "manual exhaust flaps" from the Charger, 300 and Jeep but with an electronic switch that let you flap them open all the time.
I'd imagine it's like the other active exhaust systems out there - it's designed for fuel economy and sound suppression and lower throttle inputs, and goes open under mid-to-WOT applications.
Lots of videos of a similar system on the Jag F-Type.
This ^
One of the 100 videos or tech discussion it is noted that in track mode they remain open. I wonder if it even meets DOT decibel requirements or they convinced them that since the mode is for track use only that they didn't have to comply. I'll assume since DOT is a government entity that it still meets DOT even in track mode which means further modification will be needed to ensure you don't comply;)
Cheers!
Thanks everyone. That's what I had thought. It opens up at WOT.
Then,.....why does the engineer say that you can "flip a switch" and have them open?? That's not exactly true then, is it? (Did he mean,....step on the gas pedal?) This is the only reason I am asking about it. It's in the video I posted up top.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks everyone. That's what I had thought. It opens up at WOT.
Then,.....why does the engineer say that you can "flip a switch" and have them open?? That's not exactly true then, is it? (Did he mean,....step on the gas pedal?) This is the only reason I am asking about it. It's in the video I posted up top.

The switch he is talking about is car setup and selecting track mode. It's in one of the media videos.

Cheers!

·
Registered
331 Posts
about the exhaust system.
I know it's an "almost straight through" exhaust with electronic valves.
After watching this video,..this engineer makes it sound like you can just flip a switch and the valves can be open all the time. Is that correct? Or is it only active when you step on the "GO" pedal?

***I know on the Corvette you can pull the fude on the electronic valves and be loud all the time. I assume you can do the same here.

In this vieo, he mentions the exhaust at the 3:20 mark.
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Walkaround Video Review - Pushing the Performance Envelope - YouTube
Look up on you tube gas monkey garage 2015 challenger. The switch is on the key fob, hit the switch and the valve opens and you get the exhaust dumping straight out.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Look up on you tube gas monkey garage 2015 challenger. The switch is on the key fob, hit the switch and the valve opens and you get the exhaust dumping straight out.
Someone had mentioned on an earlier thread that it was an aftermarket product from QTP, and he mistakenly referred to it as factory. Also, that car is not a Hellcat, it is a pre-production 2015 Challenger RT Scat-Pack. Not sure if the Scat-Pack comes with any stock exhaust valves. I could be wrong about all this though.

Here is the link to the thread:
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f290/will-hellcat-have-cutouts-video-inside-237185/

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I did see that, but that was on the Scat Pak car. Not sure if it is the same on the HC?
It's QTP cutouts installed on a pre-production. Will NOT come with cutouts from the factory as he states, there's no way they could get away with that. I too was duped, hoping that the HC would have that. Either way, the exhaust that comes with the 6.4 or HC is not exactly quiet based on articles and videos. :)

Reactions: Supercharged_Fun

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's QTP cutouts installed on a pre-production. Will NOT come with cutouts from the factory as he states, there's no way they could get away with that. I too was duped, hoping that the HC would have that. Either way, the exhaust that comes with the 6.4 or HC is not exactly quiet based on articles and videos. :)
Yeah,...that would be a polluter for sure with the cut-outs, not pass emissons and the earth police would have a heart attack.
:shocked:
LOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts