Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading about the problem with the car downshifting on an upshift using the paddles.

Was aware before purchasing the car and had my fingers crossed it would happen to mine.

However it has, but with one difference from the ones I've read about. This happens from start. Won't even upshift from 1st. If I move up the gears using the stick then trying the paddle it'll downshift. Repeatedly any speed and RPM.

While at a stop I kept tapping the paddle till it shifted to 2nd.

I'm thinking the switch is completely buggered. Anyone have this similar problem?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Been reading about the problem with the car downshifting on an upshift using the paddles.

Was aware before purchasing the car and had my fingers crossed it would happen to mine.

However it has, but with one difference from the ones I've read about. This happens from start. Won't even upshift from 1st. If I move up the gears using the stick then trying the paddle it'll downshift. Repeatedly any speed and RPM.

I'm thinking the switch is completely buggered. Anyone have this similar problem?
That's a behavior I do not recall coming across.

First let me say I seldom use the paddles when the transmission is in automatic mode. And when I do use the paddles I limit my use to the -paddle to downshift rather than tromp on the gas pedal and force the transmission to downshift. In a lower powered car tromping on the gas may be "ok" but in the Hellcat the rear tires will break loose.

But I have to admit I do not recall -- though I probably have done it -- trying to up shift at standstill from 1st to 2nd using the +paddle.

What I do recall for sure is I have done this a number of times using the lever - in manual mode! -- and it always works. But 2nd is as high as I can shift.

Of course underway I can up shift -- using the lever or the +paddle -- to 8th gear provided the vehicle speed is sufficiently high.

"Tapping" the paddle is sort of frowned upon. That is when I reported the problem of the transmission downshifting when I pulled on the +paddle I was told the reason was I was pulling the paddle too quickly. I slowed down but the spurious downshift always happened at the moment I pulled the paddle back not when I released it.

Still I avoid trying a quick flick of the paddle to shift. Though once in a while I "forget" and so far <knock wood> the spurious up shift has not reappeared.

FWIW, the +paddle behavior has apparently been eliminated by the application of an ECM (engine control module) update and a TCM (transmission control module) update. The CAN/cruise control update was applied too at the same time.

The service paperwork lists no part number, no name, no nothing of any detail regarding the ECM/TCM updates.

Regardless you might take your car in and ask if there are any updates for either of these modules.

Additionally the shop foreman found some "low battery" error codes. These must have been Dodge proprietary/stealth codes because the CEL has never been on nor has my OBD2 data logger ever recorded one OBD2 error code and it checks every 60 seconds while the engine is running.

Since then I have made it a point to avoid letting the car sit too many days between uses. Last winter when this +paddle shift behavior was quite frequent the weather here was "bad" as in lots of rain and while I don't mind driving the car in the rain I mostly let it sit while I drove my other car. It is possible the battery got a bit low from lack of regular/frequent use.

·
Premium Member
1,435 Posts

Hi J.C.Challenger,
We certainly understand why this may be concerning. We kindly recommend having your dealer inspect your paddles and transmission for you as they are in the best position to assist. If you do work with your dealer, we would be more than happy to provide you with additional support.
Rob
DodgeCares

1 - 3 of 3 Posts