Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering weather members of this of this forum would rather have the new challenger, or an old one?

In the intrests of fareness, lets say the old challenger has had modern interior/safety modifications.

So, my question is "what would you rather have, the '08 challenger or an older one, and why?"

·
Registered
598 Posts
While I have an original copy to the "Vanishing Point" car from the movie......and I really love the classic 70 hemi challenger of mine,....I was at the NAIAS a week ago for taking pics and seeing the unveiling of the new concept hemi challenger...I can honestly say that if DCX makes the production model like the concept...and maybe even put in the new 6.4L (392) 500++hp Hemified terror of an engine in the srt-8 version,.....I concluded while I love my old classic...I think the new one will then be a total direct improvement in everyway as my old one.....Start Building Gentlemen!;) :cool:

·
Registered
492 Posts
Heck, at this point I'll take either. :D

Although I really miss my '74 'Challenger', which was 'liberated' by my ex-wife back in the 80's and then subsequently 'totaled' by her new husband...I'm also certainly looking forward to the availability of the 2007/2008 model. ;)

·
Registered
382 Posts
I like the new modern muscle car. Don't get me wrong, I like all Mopar, but man you can't beat modern handling and drive train. It's our turn now to be in the muscle car era. I'm 35 :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
New, due to the followings facts....

I am born........Stronger metal, perfect frame welds perfromed by robots, stonger and better engine, better handling, tires

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think it depends on the packages . I had a 70 barracuda grande w/383
air , kelsy hayse disc brakes , power everything except "get this"
power steering with a 4 speed . Then I did the did the family thing and got
married I really hated to get rid of her so I told her she could stay and I got rid of car.
I wonder what package will come with a spoiller or front valance "eye brows"
I want a new 1.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Andrew said:
I would have to choose the old chally, you can not beat the beauty and power of classic mopar muscle.
Trust me!! Like I said, the new one is a direct improvement in ALL ways over the old one (I should know as I own a 1970 hemi).....in stock form new vs old, the new one is and will be better in performance in the straight line and handling.....not to mention metal,rubber,brakes,body,interior, body fit & finish,overall function,looks,gas mileage,fuel injection,reliability and performance,etc,etc...everything is better!!. I love my 70,its a cool classic,and it was great in its day and a rare classic now....but that's it. I can tell you the nightmares of trying to keep the valves constantly adjusted,and the very tempermental dual carbs are a b*tch to keep adjusted to make them run just right,seats suck no support,forget about cornering at high speeds compared to the new,rust real fast body and frame,and on and on. The only cool thing it will have over the new one is that there are not many of mine out there...soo the collectability is greater because they didn't make that many so its rare,so for those reasons I will keep it,but after that the New one will win out everytime...can't beat the latest technology,sorry!Don't put the new one down, as it is "a killer",you might be stuck in the past...come on up and join the rest of us,as we also have computers now too, with cool forum brothers and sisters;) :D :cool:

·
Registered
712 Posts
The old one certainly has its own style and charm, no doubt - and I assure you I have the utmost respect for it, but I'd take a new one over an older one, especially if we're talking daily drivers - in that case it's no contest.

Love to have a new one as a daily driver and an older restored one as a weekend toy - that would be my ultimate goal. :D

·
Registered
973 Posts
I'll take a new one and use it as a daily driver, except maybe winter. Yea the old ones are cool, but as VP pointed out you need to be a mechanic to keep them running right.

The styling on the '70 one is great. The styling on the new one is great. Both different in their own way. It is really hard though to pass up the advances the new one has over the '70 model.

Now here's something to concider. What if DC had made an exact replica of the '70 model styling only with the technology of today. Do you think it would sell?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'll take the new. I just like the body stance a little better. Of course, if a things were truely the same, then it would make it strictly an 'eye appeal' decision IMO.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a variety of the classic "old" musclecars, and will probably be selling some of them to buy some of the "new" musclecars. I hope it never comes down to having to choose between the new and old, I would probably have to hang on to my triple black 1968 Hemi Charger R/T... its been in the "family" too long! Similarly, my 1970 Cuda and 1969 Road Runner would be almost impossible to part with...

As an all-around car, I believe the new ones are clearly the better choice... but sometimes other issues are more important. I have had those three cars (and others) for over 20 years...

BTW, Howdy from Texas... this is my first post on this forum. Just what I needed... another forum! :rolleyes:

XS

·
Registered
598 Posts
xs29j8 said:
I have a variety of the classic "old" musclecars, and will probably be selling some of them to buy some of the "new" musclecars. I hope it never comes down to having to choose between the new and old, I would probably have to hang on to my triple black 1968 Hemi Charger R/T... its been in the "family" too long! Similarly, my 1970 Cuda and 1969 Road Runner would be almost impossible to part with...

As an all-around car, I believe the new ones are clearly the better choice... but sometimes other issues are more important. I have had those three cars (and others) for over 20 years...

BTW, Howdy from Texas... this is my first post on this forum. Just what I needed... another forum! :rolleyes:

XS
XS,Welcome to the forum brother,great group we have here...most here are all excited about the new hemi challenger...welcome aboard.:D :cool:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I dunno what i like most....tuff tuff tuff... id take a original 70 Hemi Challenger over anything tough.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yankee said:
The old one certainly has its own style and charm, no doubt - and I assure you I have the utmost respect for it, but I'd take a new one over an older one, especially if we're talking daily drivers - in that case it's no contest.

Love to have a new one as a daily driver and an older restored one as a weekend toy - that would be my ultimate goal. :D
I need not bother typing... you said it!!

I'll take both!!

1 - 20 of 84 Posts