Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some kids like trains, some like trucks. I like city buses when I was a kid.

I don't want to know details, just some basic powertrain info such as engine and transmission speeds? Or any other fun facts you wish to share.

These buses were from my days.

1. GM

2. GM

3. Flxible

4. AM General

5. Grumman (Flxible)

·
Super Moderator
12,502 Posts
I'm only familiar with the short yellow bus...

A Guy

·
Registered
13,528 Posts
GM bus #2 should have a 2-stroke 6V71 Detroit Diesel, maybe some had 8V71 but not sure. Great old engines and a million where used in crew and offshore boats around south La.

Transmission for city was a 2-speed automatic but you could get a 4-speed manual for suburban routes although I doubt many did.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GM bus #2 should have a 2-stroke 6V71 Detroit Diesel, maybe some had 8V71 but not sure. Great old engines and a million where used in crew and offshore boats around south La.

Transmission for city was a 2-speed automatic but you could get a 4-speed manual for suburban routes although I doubt many did.

Do you know where they started turbocharging? My guess would be #5 because of the sound of the whistle.

·
Registered
13,528 Posts
Do you know where they started turbocharging? My guess would be #5 because of the sound of the whistle.
High horsepower marine and truck 8V71 engines had turbos but don't think any buses did until 1980 with the 6V92. That was the year that Greyhound and Trailways started using the 6V92 because of better mileage and emissions and they never bought another 8V71. So guess the use in city buses would have been around that time too. Those turbo 2-strokes had both a supercharger and a turbocharger, today's 4-stroke diesels usually turbo only.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
A trip down memory lane here.

I'll just say in the late 60's and 70's, you didn't want to be behind one of these. They had to have diesel engines by all the black stinky smoke that poured out from them. Picture #2 is which I refer to.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That was the year that Greyhound
Speaking of Greyhound tour buses, they are way taller than a city bus. Drive at a much faster speed, and make turns much quicker. With the higher center of gravity, how come they don't tip over? Ok, later gen do have air suspension that can self adjust, etc. But still when a city bus make a turn, everyone leans. And yet, it seems like tour buses turn and corner like a Ferrari.

MCI, or other manufacture of tour buses.

·
Registered
13,528 Posts
Speaking of Greyhound tour buses, they are way taller than a city bus. Drive at a much faster speed, and make turns much quicker. With the higher center of gravity, how come they don't tip over? Ok, later gen do have air suspension that can self adjust, etc. But still when a city bus make a turn, everyone leans. And yet, it seems like tour buses turn and corner like a Ferrari.

MCI, or other manufacture of tour buses.
That air suspension with the leveling valves work to keep it level as possible and they've got huge anti-sway bars under there. Worst thing for any bus or truck is going off the road, then all bets are off. But stay on the road and it should not flip.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
Slidd
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing