Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So back in the day (late 70’s to early 90’s) I owned 2 Road Runners, a 383 auto and a 440 Six Pack 4 speed car. Fast forward to today I recently purchased a 17 Challenger. The grill badge says R/T, the Shaker Hood says 392 HEMI, and the fender badging are Scat Pack......so what do I have?? I can’t find a model that matches all the badges. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,625 Posts
Welcome from California ;) You have a Scat Pack Shaker (SPS). A Scat Pack is a level of RT, and Scat Packs have the 392 Hemi. So you have a Challenger RT Scat Pack Shaker 392 :D If it's Plum Crazy Purple (PCP), I believe you get free admission at many man caves :)

A Guy

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Welcome from Maryland, and congrats on the new SPS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
10,024 Posts
Welcome to the forum from a former Plymouth guy (had four Plymouth Barracudas and a Plymouth Duster 340).

·
Super Moderator
14,189 Posts
I am a Plymouth guy, too. Congratulations on your new Scat Pack Shaker.

As a Scat Pack owner, you have the SRT's 392 engine. In earlier years, the only Hemi you could get in an R/T was a 5.7 engine. However in an effort to boost sales, Dodge resurrected the Scat Pack brand from 1968 (as used on the Charger R/T, Coronet R/T, Dart GTS and SuperBee) and, basically, created a "budget" SRT for those buyers who wanted the higher horsepower engine and not all of the SRT's more expensive performance and luxury features.

An "old school" comparison would be a 1969 Road Runner and a 1969 GTX- both with 440 engines.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Welcome to the forum from a former Plymouth guy (had four Plymouth Barracuda's and a Plymouth Duster 340).
Welcome, as well, from old Plymouth guy '68 383 Roadrunner & the mighty & I mean mighty 340 Duster. If that car was 275hp, it was so under rated. Lots faster than the Roadrunner. The good part FCA did for you was to label it a R/T. Insurance help for sure.

·
Super Moderator
14,189 Posts
Welcome, as well, from old Plymouth guy '68 383 Roadrunner & the mighty & I mean mighty 340 Duster. If that car was 275hp, it was so under rated. Lots faster than the Roadrunner. The good part FCA did for you was to label it a R/T. Insurance help for sure.

I had a 1971 340 'Cuda. Its gross hp rating was under rated at 275 hp. (Plymouth/Dodge took the peak hp. readings taken at 5,000 rpm instead of 6,000 rpm). This was due to three reasons:

1. To get a competitive edge on the drag strip (NHRA factored the hp to 325).
2. To get around high insurance rates.
3. To avoid stealing sales from MOPAR's B cars with the 383 engine (335 hp).

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
Congratulations and welcome aboard! :)

·
Registered
694 Posts
It was the '71 Duster that converted me to a MOPAR fan. Didn't have the 340 but I had a nice 360 that hauled A$$ for it's time. I loved that car!
wish had some pics of my beloved '71 but a scorned ex took my cars from the 1st gen muscle car era pics & burned them, but i found this on the web & is what she looked like, that's why the return of yellow jacket got me to buy

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
wish had some pics of my beloved '71 but a scorned ex took my cars from the 1st gen muscle car era pics & burned them, but i found this on the web & is what she looked like, that's why the return of yellow jacket got me to buy
NICE! I purchased the Duster for $700 with like 46k miles in '94. The original owner passed away and the wife had it in the garage. Came with a 318 and when I pulled it out of the garage, I just added some gas in the carb and it started right up! Swapped out the rotted tires and drove 150 miles back home without any issues. My friend was a big MOPAR guy and was working on a '71 green Challenger and he helped me built the 360, swapped out tranny and installed 3.55 gears and painted it White (it was an awful brown color - see pic). As you know it was an awesome inexpensive car to built and race. When I moved to Florida I ordered a custom 4 row radiator from CA and was my daily driver putting about 100 miles a day (worked sales). It was the most reliable car I've ever owned! BTW loved the front torsion bar and left handed lugs! Ahead of its time!

Attachments

·
Registered
694 Posts
NICE! I purchased the Duster for $700 with like 46k miles in '94. The original owner passed away and the wife had it in the garage. Came with a 318 and when I pulled it out of the garage, I just added some gas in the carb and it started right up! Swapped out the rotted tires and drove 150 miles back home without any issues. My friend was a big MOPAR guy and was working on a '71 green Challenger and he helped me built the 360, swapped out tranny and installed 3.55 gears and painted it White (it was an awful brown color - see pic). As you know it was an awesome inexpensive car to built and race. When I moved to Florida I ordered a custom 4 row radiator from CA and was my daily driver putting about 100 miles a day (worked sales). It was the most reliable car I've ever owned!
i ordered her, so exactly what i wanted just like my '17. dealer had a '70 sublime aar on the floor but my dad hated the 3 2 barrell setup so he nixed that. it had sat there a long time so they wanted to get rid of it badly. just can't see where all the cars with low miles are coming from back then cars where kind of disposable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts