Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
should be the fodder for the next 3 years argument on here. any speculation on the 18s? that may be the point of my next interest

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
These days Retro is a bad word in automotive circles for a lot of reasons, and is going away.

Going forward, we will be seeing less Retro for the sake of retro, the way PT Cruiser, FJ Cruiser, and Camaro were designed, and more Heritage, the way of Boxster/Cayman, Viper, Wrangler and 2005-10 Chrysler 300C.

Heritage implies building a modern vehicle with its essence traceable to an origin, with freedom to bring in completely fresh thinking, especially inside. Retro is simply making something look old inside and out, which hinders the ability to make them user-friendly (FJ, Camaro), and frustrates designers by limiting their freedom to do new things.

2015 Mustang retains too much retro inside and, despite those Fusion headlights, probably too much outside as well. That interior will make Mustang look dated very quickly.

2018 Challenger will be thoroughly modern inside, but will retain its Heritage outside.

Reactions: pdx.challenger

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Oh, I don't know, they could use the chassis and main interior and just change the body to a modern redo of a 71 GTX/Charger coke body style without too much effort and then rename that abomination they did to the current Charger to a Monaco, Satellite, or some other 4 dr from Dodge's past. I kinda like retro styling. All the new designs look the same- the Dart, new Charger are a good example, nothing new to see here folks, move along.....:guiness:

·
Registered
398 Posts
The reason I like the Challenger is because it looks like a 1970s drag car. It looks like a classic muscle car. The McLaren P1 and the LaFerrari are big fails in my opinion. I remember the 1981 Challenger, I don't think anyone wants that to happen again.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I don't think there will be a Challenger past this body style run. Gilles hinted recently that there will be a more compact car (re-start Cuda talk here) in the future and my guess is that it won't be retro at all and the Challenger name will be gone.

Reactions: pdx.challenger

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I don't think there will be a Challenger past this body style run. Gilles hinted recently that there will be a more compact car (re-start Cuda talk here) in the future and my guess is that it won't be retro at all and the Challenger name will be gone.
I agree. I think the '15 refresh will last for about 4 or 5 years and then it'll be a whole new car, probably named 'Cuda. I think it will still be rwd but smaller and lighter with a turbo 4 as an option.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I agree. I think the '15 refresh will last for about 4 or 5 years and then it'll be a whole new car, probably named 'Cuda. I think it will still be rwd but smaller and lighter with a turbo 4 as an option.
From what I remember reading on Allpar a couple months back, they've all but come out and said there won't be a car called the 'Cuda (too many Plymouth Faithful were readying the torches and pitchforks).

From what I remember about it, the car they were thinking about calling the Cuda is going to be the replacement for the Avenger, and they may stick with the Avenger name...it will be smaller, mid-sized, RWD, and more-than-likely a sedan. Not sure what that means for the future of the Challenger...I'd imagine if sales stay steady, I can't see them ditching it any time soon.

·
Super Moderator
16,633 Posts
I think the general trend of what we see with the '15 Mustang will foreshadow some of the general direction we might see with the '18 LA chassis Challenger.

The Mustang you can readily identify what it is - it has some changes, but with shorter overhangs, re-proportioned dimensions, it clearly is a Mustang.

Another point is the '15 restyle of the Charger - if the blackout center section of the bumper is body color (rather than black)...it could evoke more of the '70 style grille with the recessed blackout insert grille.

Right now, it has this "gaping hole" look with too much blacked out and the voids of the opening in the lower valance.
Especially in the TorRed example we've seen at the NYAS reveal.

IMO, they've smoothed out the front for a more contemporary look.
I liked the '11-'14 style more over the previous one ('06-'10), but for some folks that have more conservative taste, it was a bit "in your face" with the large grille.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I think the general trend of what we see with the '15 Mustang will foreshadow some of the general direction we might see with the '18 LA chassis Challenger.

The Mustang you can readily identify what it is - it has some changes, but with shorter overhangs, re-proportioned dimensions, it clearly is a Mustang.

Another point is the '15 restyle of the Charger - if the blackout center section of the bumper is body color (rather than black)...it could evoke more of the '70 style grille with the recessed blackout insert grille.

Right now, it has this "gaping hole" look with too much blacked out and the voids of the opening in the lower valance.
Especially in the TorRed example we've seen at the NYAS reveal.

IMO, they've smoothed out the front for a more contemporary look.
I liked the '11-'14 style more over the previous one ('06-'10), but for some folks that have more conservative taste, it was a bit "in your face" with the large grille.

I see an emergency re-fresh in the Chargers future. Looks terrible to me. Maybe if it had a chrome grill.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Just a few minutes ago I was following one of the new Challengers for about 9 or 10 miles and also one of the 200s. Both had M plates so they were probably out testing. I have to say I'm not sure about the new tail lights. Maybe they will grow on me but right now I like the current ones better. I think the new ones would look good on a black car but the torred one I was following something didn't seem right. A weird thought I know. One thing that did surprise was the brake lights. I would have thought that the whole outer segments would light up when braking but that's not the case. Only a single line along the bottom of each outer light maybe 8 inches long lit up. Looked a little strange to me. Also the one I was behind sat incredibly high off the ground and I mean almost SUV high. This may not be the production set up ( I hope not ) as they may have purposely did that for some sort of testing . As for now I'm glad I have the one I have but I can see a lot of people liking the new one. Maybe the new interior will win me over when I actually sit in one.

·
Registered
724 Posts
should be the fodder for the next 3 years argument on here. any speculation on the 18s? that may be the point of my next interest
Here I'll start something. There won't be an 2018 Challenger, only Mercedes has been able to run the same platform with minor changes for 10 years and get away with it, IMO our retro Challengers of today will be Dinosaurs by 18. Another similar thing of the 70's is also happening, back then the government did away with HP and right now Carb and Cafe regulation are getting tightened to make it hard on the Big 3, Gas guzzler taxes are not going to be their way out because eventually it will be to high for the customer to justify, we are actually the lucky ones right now, the R/T doesn't have a gas guzzler tax till 15 when it starts offering the 392 I'm curious to see what it will be, My 13 SRT was 1000.00, someone told me the Camaro ZL1 is 1500 and the ZR1 vette is 2000, at what point is enough a enough to drive a performance car. Let this be a lesson on knowing everyone on a ballot and what they stand for, let 2016 be the beginning. VOTE CORRECTLY

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Here I'll start something. There won't be an 2018 Challenger, only Mercedes has been able to run the same platform with minor changes for 10 years and get away with it, IMO our retro Challengers of today will be Dinosaurs by 18. Another similar thing of the 70's is also happening, back then the government did away with HP and right now Carb and Cafe regulation are getting tightened to make it hard on the Big 3, Gas guzzler taxes are not going to be their way out because eventually it will be to high for the customer to justify, we are actually the lucky ones right now, the R/T doesn't have a gas guzzler tax till 15 when it starts offering the 392 I'm curious to see what it will be, My 13 SRT was 1000.00, someone told me the Camaro ZL1 is 1500 and the ZR1 vette is 2000, at what point is enough a enough to drive a performance car. Let this be a lesson on knowing everyone on a ballot and what they stand for, let 2016 be the beginning. VOTE CORRECTLY
To vote correctly, one must be informed of FACTS..and the fact is BOTH sides have supported CAFE requirements. This is GWB's in 2007:
https://www.cfif.org/htdocs/legisla...ssues_in_congress/energy/CAFE-regulations.htm

just sayin':zlurking:

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
2018 Challenger will be thoroughly modern inside, but will retain its Heritage outside.
I don't think it'll retain its heritage, but it'll have styling cues, much like the current Charger to the original.

While I'm certain the 2018 model won't be an abomination, it'll be to the current Challenger, what the pictured model was to the original 1970-74 model.

I think they'll continue the current success of the Challenger name.

·
Premium Member
10,044 Posts
Unfortunately too many people make their choices on a single issue and don't look at the WHOLE picture. It's WE THE PEOPLE who are in charge but most are too busy watching the Kardashians and other trash to know whats going on.
Now that Fiat owns Dodge we get whatever they give us as they control the money now. Unless the break up the company and sell off brand names we won't be in control again. Jeep will never be sold, it makes too much money.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Depends of course on how well the new version sells. If it sells even better than the 08-14 version, they may keep it going for a few more years relatively unchanged. Why spoil a moneymaker? If sales decline, its bye-bye for the big Chally. If that happens then I presume they use the Challenger name on a car that shares a lot of parts/design with FIAT. Globalization is the word today and sharing platforms across brands happens all the time. Here's a FIAT 4-door that looks like it shares a platform with the DART:

Bravo - Gallery

Then again, I'm sure some one on this forum knows which platform they have already chosen for the '18 Challenger/Charger.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts