Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
5,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I love the old school look of a big ass 6-71 blower sticking through the hood. My question is, would it be the same to tune and drivability wise as an underhood supercharger? What are the pros and cons?? Expense? Maintenance? etc

Thanks!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Old school blowers were designed to have Carb's on top. And of course driving in rain would not be pretty and tuning would be "interesting' trying to marry carburetors to the modern electronics. Get one of the modern screw type blowers like Edelbrock has, simple, easy to tune, quieter, better reliability and it's plug and play in a weekend.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Doesn't need carbs...they can install throttle bodies for fuel injection. Would need all new harness and tune. It's not impossible...nobody saw the Horsepower TV show where they put one on a 5.7 Hemi? I think they did use carbs on it...

Reactions: salvy59

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I think it would get old on a street car. Visibility would suck and then there is the maintenance of keeping it clean. JMHO

·
Supporting Vendors
1,324 Posts
This Challenger is a straight up monster btw, I'm fairly certain it pushes 1000 HP.

Looking forward to seeing it run at the track this year

Nick C.

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
I enjoy having a blower on my older camaro. Thought about putting one on my challenger, but really
I think an under hood more modern supercharger that fits under the hood would be a better
choice. The "old school" that I have, I only drive during nice days, it's a beast to drive, fun,
very much so, not very practical for anything but messing around in.

A nice modern supercharger in my challenger I would be able to drive anywhere and
not worry to much when driving.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Reactions: salvy59

·
Registered
968 Posts
Saw it driving around again yesterday. Guy lives in the neighborhood I grew up in, around Laveen, AZ.

holy shit and I found this vid if him romping the Central ave tunnel. You can see the Dodge Phelps tower where my law school is!

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
Call up SHR as they've done a few installs.

I've seen the Cult Energy Challenger at their shop before and it was pretty badass, but the last time I went they had the blower pulled because they were switching to a ProCharger. I believe they ended up replacing a local 300SRT guys 6-71 blower with the cults 8.3L whipple.

Here's the 6-71 300
6-71 300C SRT8 Dyno run - YouTube
Worlds first 6-71 Supercharged 300C SRT-8! - YouTube

And now with the 8.3L whipple
8.3L Whipple Blown 426 300 SRT8!!! - YouTube

I'd personally take the 6-71 over the 8.3L..from an asthetics stand point. The 8.3 is awesome, but being the 6-71 is slightly smaller, yet still looks great, that's the way I'd go.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
One of my future projects every since I got the SXRam hood is to FAKE a huge blower like that! 7 bolts hold the scoop section on, and since I show "Hood Down" so my SICK'R PCP logo shows, I have toyed with the idea of removing scoop at shows, and replacing with a "Mock-up" of a huge blower and showing with hood partially up just to mess wid folks minds, so far haven't found parts cheap enough to do this BUT after doing Model RailRoading for a few years (till Challengers were built) may end up making one of styrofoam or something, the footprint of huge Pro-stock scoops may also fit, but a real one on the street..... not so much! ;)

·
Banned
5,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the input. Being in AZ, keeping it clean should not be too much of a problem, as well as rain getting into that big hole.

I guess im trying to figure out if a 6-71 can be tuned and just as streetable as an underhood? Could you not put out the same type of power, say 600 HP with the 6-71 just as an underhood does, or does it have to be a complete monster build?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Thanks for the input. Being in AZ, keeping it clean should not be too much of a problem, as well as rain getting into that big hole.

I guess im trying to figure out if a 6-71 can be tuned and just as streetable as an underhood? Could you not put out the same type of power, say 600 HP with the 6-71 just as an underhood does, or does it have to be a complete monster build?
as mentioned, get in touch with someone who has actually built and tuned one. This is the first of the craven built car that I have seen, that thing is sick.
My initial thought when I saw this thread was to recommend that you contact Eddie at southern hot rod. He's done more than one, and can surely explain all the upsides, and downsides, to a build like this, and he tunes them himself as well.

There's no reason it couldn't be pulled down to a reasonable boost level for 600rwhp.

Let us know what you end up with ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts