Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Old Skool Pistol Grip pics.

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  jonmandude 
#1 ·
Thinking about putting and old skool style pistol grip in my 12 YJ. Does anyone have any picture of them installed?
Opinions on what to look at?

Thanks, Tom

#3 · (Edited)
I started with this, which was nice:

...and then went to this.

I bought this kit here:

Dodge Challenger 6 Speed Short Throw Hurst Pistol Grip Shifter Mopar Factory | eBay

...and then also bought a wood-grain retro-fit kit. I figure I can swap back when I want, the carbon fiber does look awesome, but the retro-wood grain grip and old school shift-pattern lens are THE BOMB!!!

I don't see anymore wood grain grip/lens kits like this on ebay, but keep a look out if you want to go this route.

#6 ·
Thanks Tom, no it shifts great, better than the stock unit. Short throws with positive engagement. There are no clearance issues. It is noisier than the stock unit though, you can hear some transmission noise coming up through the tunnel. I plan on digging back into mine at some point to put some of the stock rubber mounting bushings to reduce some noise(apparently there isn't much loss in shift motion/feel) and also to put in a modified throw rod(Larry's mod) because some people have broken those Hurst shifters because the throw rod they come with is weak. I will say though, I have had zero issues with it so far, doesn't seem like it is getting loose or it will break.

I like the real wood. I will be selling the 2nd set soon.

Those grips look great Randy!

Reactions: R/T-Randy
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.