Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
"Oldie but a goodie"

Still my favorite video. But I did the math and they say the SRT is a 13 second car....and the SS is a 12.9 sec car. What a "Crock O' Sh!t."

Reactions: vichris

·
Registered
260 Posts
Agree with what the guy said, "Vintage Irons Rule".

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Still my favorite video. But I did the math and they say the SRT is a 13 second car....and the SS is a 12.9 sec car. What a "Crock O' Sh!t."
There's a lot that could be debated here,if I couldn't put that 6pak Challenger into the mid 13's I would eat his shoes .(although I may have to change out the bias plys)
My 70 440 4 was in the 13,s in stock form with regular radials!

Good video though.If I had my choice of them,it would be the 70 RT.The silver and black works!

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
I meant the new versions.

There's a lot that could be debated here,if I couldn't put that 6pak Challenger into the mid 13's I would eat his shoes .(although I may have to change out the bias plys)
My 70 440 4 was in the 13,s in stock form with regular radials!

Good video though.If I had my choice of them,it would be the 70 RT.The silver and black works!
The SRT is faster than the SS. Unlike the lightweight GT Mustang, (which the SRT is faster than), the SS is heavy. It is 200 pounds lighter, but has 45 less HP.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Those classics are 40-45 years old and modern muscle should bury them in every department. And yet it doesn't. (Straight line) performance is fairly comparable (keeping the bias tires on is unfair) and the oldies have better styling, more character and more raw mechanical connection to the road. New muscle car is great and I feel lucky to have mine today, but it's still a sanitized ersatz.

Reactions: DJ Hemi

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
...(Straight line) performance is fairly comparable (keeping the bias tires on is unfair) and the oldies have better styling, more character and more raw mechanical connection to the road...
"More raw mechanical connection to the road" is the major reason why I had to run a 6-spd manual in mine---and I love it!

·
Registered
416 Posts
45 years ago these were the latest and greatest now they are obsolete junk we like to fanatisize about we are living in the greatest era now but I still like to roll long distance in my challenger to visit these dinosouars and still keep one in my basement

·
Super Moderator
13,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Those classics are 40-45 years old and modern muscle should bury them in every department. And yet it doesn't. (Straight line) performance is fairly comparable (keeping the bias tires on is unfair) and the oldies have better styling, more character and more raw mechanical connection to the road. New muscle car is great and I feel lucky to have mine today, but it's still a sanitized ersatz.
We should feel ucky that we live in the age of computers. It is because of them that our cars are able to meet rigid emissions standards and get better gas mileage. When you think of all the restrictions on our cars,it is amazing that they perform as well, or better, than the classic muscle cars.

·
Registered
416 Posts
66 67 chevelle options 396 4 speed same brakes suspension tires as base 6 cyl equals death trap 68 roadrunner no option big engine 4 speed some police and taxicab components still a death trap but fun as hell

·
Registered
364 Posts
An intriguing question. As I see it, American muscle of today is simply American muscle of yesterday advanced more than four decades. It's kinda like this...two very proven means of transportation for the times...a man on horseback and a man in a Packard. I say..."good for their time" for each. Could my long- since-gone-to-the-crusher '67 Impala 396 or '76 Corvette even match my '12 R/T in any area of measurement? I think not. But for the times...quite impressive.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,049 Posts
I'm calling BS on that claim too. Its funny I barely beat this 2011 Camaro with my 2009 RT at a local racing event back in 2012. We were both on street tires. My 2011 SRT beats out my best time with my RT by 1.3 seconds regularly. I can't seem to get Camaro or Mustang guys to race me at the track. They all chicken out. I think the sound of my car with cutouts scare them. I've raced several Corvettes, those guys always seem willing to run..........:5:

All out call out II by vichris08, on Flickr

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
We should feel ucky that we live in the age of computers.
I have mixed feelings about this, just like about computers and the digital age in general. Yes, they made production 4-500 HP V8s possible again, and if it's between that and what we had in the late '70s, I'm with you. But when we're comparing old (the Golden Age type of old) and new, it's clear that we've lost a lot. It's not just the fault of environmental restrictions and mileage requirements, it's also a PC world where computers control almost every aspect of the car to make it retard-proof. Frankly, most of us get aftermarket exhausts to feel something because driving around in a modern Challenger it's almost impossible to tell that it's not some other nondescript car (once in a while and past 3,000 RPM the Hemis give off a little happy note). The digital age has turned what should be an exciting driving experience into that sex scene from Demolition Man. Our shifters and many controls are glorified computer mice that create more and more disconnect.

I know that it's just the empty part of the glass, but it's there. The oldies were not well made, didn't handle or brake, and were fairly unsafe and unreliable, all things I gladly leave to the 40 year-old past... but the new ones don't quite capture the visceral thrill or the breathtaking styling. The Mustang resorts to piping in some of the engine's sound into the cabin - they might as well play a V8 CD. I know - First World problems, right? :D

Reactions: Bad daytona
1 - 20 of 32 Posts