Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's another race between the Hellcat and a Mustang. The Corvette driver switched to a more powerful car to get revenge.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thats a C6 Vette correct? If so, that car had no chance at all. It may have been lighter, but the Cat's got 300 HP on him. Also if its a pre-08 vette its got 400 and if its post I think its 430 right?

·
Super Moderator
13,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats a C6 Vette correct? If so, that car had no chance at all. It may have been lighter, but the Cat's got 300 HP on him. Also if its a pre-08 vette its got 400 and if its post I think its 430 right?
The Hellcat definitely had the edge in horsepower over the much lighter Vette. But, you have to remember, the two clowns in the Vette were the ones who challenged him.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
This kid cheats. Leaves on the second beep or with the third beep. Then admires his work. LOL!!!

Thanks so much for these!!!
I noticed this as well. He definitely got the jump each time.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
What's an older HELLCAT owner/driver?
Is that a person that bought the car himself with out mommy and daddy's help?

Maybe his car insurance is cheaper than the car payment?

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Ya, Mustang jumps every time and then the Hellcat walks around him. That last time when he thought he got him....LOL, same thing, jumps the start and then lifts just before getting walked. Kid needs to try that in a straight up race at the track. He might get the truth.

·
Registered
328 Posts
This is the Challenger Forum so I expect video like this but let's not get carried away. This is the more realistic match up. Pretty tough to over come the weight difference.

https://youtu.be/QboIIoriE_c
Not a Challenger. I don't think the Charger launches worth a shit compared to the Challenger. AND for the price the vet should have beat him worse. Take half the price difference and upgrade the Charger...it would win. 11 sec is a pretty great time for a street car, but 20K dollars buy's a lot of fast.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Not a Challenger. I don't think the Charger launches worth a shit compared to the Challenger. AND for the price the vet should have beat him worse. Take half the price difference and upgrade the Charger...it would win. 11 sec is a pretty great time for a street car, but 20K dollars buy's a lot of fast.
The price difference buys you a lot more than just more drag strip performance in the Z06. Gotta know what you REALLY want when buying either a Hellcat or a Z06.

If all you want to do is make drag strip passes then yes. The Hellcat has an advantage on price for sure. But that's all there is here.

These cars really shouldn't be compared seriously. They are too different.

Imagine a track race between them at Luna Seca or any other road course. That up charge for the Corvette would seem like the bargain of the century when times are recorded.

The Hellcat is a VERY SUCCESSFUL improvement on cars as they used to be. When I first hit the drag strip in 1980 cars that could do a high 10 second 1/4 mile came to the track on a trailer and they sure as hell didn't have all the creature comforts like plush seating, A/C and a kick ass sound system.

The Z06 is FAR MORE CAR than just "better than the past". This is a car than could crush actual race cars at far more than just the drag strip. In the hands of a competent driver it could crush the race cars of the past and no small number of ultra high priced modern Super Cars of today on the road course for a price tag that is really just barely above that of a Hell Cat with options.

·
Super Moderator
13,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Agree. You shouldn't compare a muscle car to a sports car. That's like comparing "apples to oranges." That being said, the Vette driver was the one who decided to step into the Hellcat's realm and tried to out drag it. :IThankYou:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Agree. You shouldn't compare a muscle car to a sports car. That's like comparing "apples to oranges." That being said, the Vette driver was the one who decided to step into the Hellcat's realm and tried to out drag it. :IThankYou:
:werd: ...... and even so...... the smart money is NEVER on the far bigger and heavier car.....that's why you get the reaction you get from the guys in this 430HP Corvette.

It takes SERIOUS extra power to out accelerate a car that weighs almost 1000pds less and enjoys and areodynamic advantage that only only gets BIGGER the faster you go.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The price difference buys you a lot more than just more drag strip performance in the Z06. Gotta know what you REALLY want when buying either a Hellcat or a Z06.

If all you want to do is make drag strip passes then yes. The Hellcat has an advantage on price for sure. But that's all there is here.

Imagine a track race between them at Luna Seca or any other road course. That up charge for the Corvette would seem like the bargain of the century when times are recorded.

The Hellcat is a VERY SUCCESSFUL improvement on cars as they used to be. When I first hit the drag strip in 1980 cars that could do a high 10 second 1/4 mile came to the track on a trailer and they sure as hell didn't have all the creature comforts like plush seating, A/C and a kick ass sound system.

The Z06 is FAR MORE CAR than just "better than the past". This is a car than could crush actual race cars at far more than just the drag strip. In the hands of a competent driver it could crush the race cars of the past and no small number of ultra high priced modern Super Cars of today on the road course for a price tag that is really just barely above that of a Hell Cat with options.
Weeelllll, that is what the post is about. If I was going to spend that kind of money to turn corners, it wouldn't be on a Chevy.

When I first came to the track in the late 70's, there was a VW doing 10's. I later in the mid 80's was running 10.90's in my street car...with 14x32 Goodyears of course. It didn't run that fast on the street with M50's. But hey, put a 426 wedge in a 65 Valiant and you can go pretty fast.

Even adjusting for inflation, I didn't spend 1/4 as much. Sure it only had two seats, but I didn't care either. It was meant to go fast, period. Now if I built a similar car today, say with a Hellcat crate motor, I'd still dust that vet. For less money. And I'd have a full interior and nice sound system to boot. The extreme cost of the Z06 is so you can have a "Vette" and brag about it. It's not the best bang for the buck, that is always going to be something you built. If you can do it yourself that is.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts