Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...IN THE SNOW!

We got a surprise snow storm tonight while I was at work. I figured "baah... F1 tires can't be THAT bad in the snow, right?"

I had to practically CRAWL home! Good thing it was 1:30am and traffic was light. Anytime I try to down-shift to slow myself down, the back end slides out... anytime I accelerate in the slightest, THE BACK END SLIDES OUT!!!

Definitely not used to this!!

Any winter driving tips for a 6-speed with F1's???

I have access to snow tires but I don't really want to switch the tires this late in the season when we probably don't have that much snow left...

·
Registered
359 Posts
...IN THE SNOW!

We got a surprise snow storm tonight while I was at work. I figured "baah... F1 tires can't be THAT bad in the snow, right?"

I had to practically CRAWL home! Good thing it was 1:30am and traffic was light. Anytime I try to down-shift to slow myself down, the back end slides out... anytime I accelerate in the slightest, THE BACK END SLIDES OUT!!!

Definitely not used to this!!

I have access to snow tires but I don't really want to switch the tires this late in the season when we probably don't have that much snow left...
My only tip would be; just don't do it. I bought a P.O.S 1997 Dodge Neon for $800.00 for a crap weather ride.

·
Registered
180 Posts
There is only one F1 winter driving tip I can give you if you won't put on snow tires this late in the season, take a cab when you get caught by a snowstorm. F1's won't even grip cold pavement, don't take the chance of smacking her up!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Maybe Your License Should Be Revoked?

I figured "baah... F1 tires can't be THAT bad in the snow, right?"

I'm sorry, but it is exactly this type of thinking that gets your car smashed up at the very least and at the very worst gets someone killed! Not to mention what it does to everyone's insurance rates. I have no sympathy for you. Others share the road with you (even at 1:30 AM) and it could be me and my children in the car you slam into because you can't stop in time. Simply not acceptable.:disgust:

Chrysler and Goodyear are VERY clear that these are 3-season tires and are not to be used in the conditions you describe. To cavalierly state they "can't be THAT bad, right" demonstrates your lack of understanding of basic principles of physics and your lack of concern for other's safety on the road.

To make matters worse, you have snow tires and are not using them?!? During the winter? In the snow? Unbelievable.:icon_evil:

JFF:scratchhead:

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sorry, but it is exactly this type of thinking that gets your car smashed up at the very least and at the very worst gets someone killed! Not to mention what it does to everyone's insurance rates. I have no sympathy for you. Others share the road with you (even at 1:30 AM) and it could be me and my children in the car you slam into because you can't stop in time. Simply not acceptable.:disgust:

Chrysler and Goodyear are VERY clear that these are 3-season tires and are not to be used in the conditions you describe. To cavalierly state they "can't be THAT bad, right" demonstrates your lack of understanding of basic principles of physics and your lack of concern for other's safety on the road.

To make matters worse, you have snow tires and are not using them?!? During the winter? In the snow? Unbelievable.:icon_evil:

JFF:scratchhead:
Whoa, whoa... First of all I think you misread something. I only bought the car 4 days ago, and when I wrote "the F1's can't be THAT bad, right?" I wrote that because that was my INITIAL thoughts since I've had "performance cars" in the past with 3-season tires and I've been able to get by ok in the snow.

CLEARLY that is not the case with this car!

I have "access" to snow tires IN THEORY, a friend of mine has a set of snow tires I used for 1 season on my SuperBee and I sold them to him for his Charger R/T.

He never bothered using them and now wants to sell them so I would have to buy them back, and put them on.

If they were just sitting there in my garage they'd already be on my car by now.

Apparently these tires ARE much worse than I feared though... Had I known they were going to be THIS bad I would have made arrangements.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,735 Posts
I can tell you the F1's aren't any better on the R/T Classic either. I took a trip to Pittsburgh, PA to visit my mom and got caught up in bad weather early on in November. First thing I did was find a hotel as it wasn't worth the risk of driving. I'll NEVER do that again.:notallthere:

·
Registered
301 Posts
This guy is even more glad he didn't get the F1s with STP on my 2011 R/T Classic (still on order since 12-18) as it will be my only car in Michigan. At the time most said they aren't too bad and the STP would be worth it.

Now I hear this, and with the '11s the claims are the non-STP cars handle as well as the '10 STP cars!

:-D

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
See, it's hard to gauge what that old biiatch mother nature is going to do this late in the season.

Right now the roads are all plowed and cleared (we only got a couple inches) and the forcast says the temps are going to rise back up into the 40's (F) and all we're going to be getting is some rain next week.

I would hate to rush around switching tires only to have NO more snow fall in significant amounts! (although it would be MUCH worse to crash the car...)

Hmmmmmm.... :scratchhead:

·
Registered
504 Posts
My only tip would be; just don't do it. I bought a P.O.S 1997 Dodge Neon for $800.00 for a crap weather ride.

......man I tell you..last november when we had that freak snow...I had no choice but to get home in mine and it scared the living hell out of me...car actually started to slide side ways from gavity on 2 n of snow.....never again..park it and walk......wierd thing is that my magnum was really not too bad in the stuff....

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
There is a reason the tires are three season only tires.... not meant for snow.

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
If I was going to drive the Challenger in the winter, I would have winter tires on all 4 corners, preferably studded winter tires.
I put Blizzacks on the Jeep. Even though the Goodyear RSAs are rated M&S I wouldn't consider trying to get through winter here with them, let alone the F1s on the Challenger.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Even my Chargers weren't this bad in poor weather... I wonder why the Challenger is so much worse?

I HAVE noticed the manual transmission likes you to give her some gas to get going so maybe that doesn't mix well in the snow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
3 season tires aren't only bad in the snow. They are bad in temperatures below freezing even on perfectly drive pavement as well. There is an actual change in the rubber when it gets cold and they are like driving on hockey pucks. A friend of mine has a Camaro with the very same issue. He test drove it on a very cold night and nearly wrecked it not knowing about this. The car feels like it is aquaplaning even on dry pavement. I would defintely not drive on 3 season tires in cold weather. They are extremely hazardous...but outstanding in warm weather:)

·
Registered
119 Posts
You need some weight in the trunk over your wheel wells.
2 Wheel Drive Pickup trucks suck in snow too without Weight over the wheels.
Just to much up front weight in the Challengers

·
Registered
653 Posts
Definitely get some weight like starchild said. I'm going to get 3 or 4 50lb bags of cement to put in my trunk for next winter.

·
Super Moderator
13,975 Posts
I specified RSAs on my SRT so that I can drive my car all year. I realize that I gave up some warm weather traction over the F1s, but safety comes first. When they wear out, I will buy a better quality all-season tire.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes as a fellow Torontonian I should have warned you
about F1's being no good in snow.
In fact, I wouldn't use them in cold weather even with no snow.

I bought my SRT at the beginning of November, knowing snow tires
would be ESSENTIAL and had them on the car wiithin two weeks of taking delivery. My tire guy did find 18" wheels that clear the Brembos so
snow tires more affordable -20" snows were (in Canada) almost impossible
to find in stock and very expensive if they could be found.

I am reluctant even to put the F1s back on in the spring and
probably will get something else.

Rear wheel drive cars NEED snow tires in Canada -I had three
350Z's and they would go nowhere in snow without snows, but
were great with good tires.

I found that with Bridgestone Blizzzaks the Challenger has been no problem
at all in snow. (Much better than a 350z.)

I would be very cautious if I were you - reluctant even to drive with F1s
on even with clear roads in the cold !!!!

Buy some snows -you'll need them next year anyways.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Anything under +10 C and you have to be careful stepping on your new SRT Ironside. Even in 2nd gear with the F1's.

Also anything above 130 km/h in the rain. Ask me how I know...lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts