Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Much as I liked my customized Dynomax, it was time for a change. For one I couldn't stand the cheezy tips. For another, there was a buzz when the car was cold, and an occasional "whistle" sound from a standing stop. One thing it DID do though was to provide a "gold standard" for sound. I had customized the basic Dynomax catback with extra Ultraflow mufflers, and while this added weight, it sounded wonderful, and had no drone.

The Solo sounds BETTER. :)

So to back up to the beginning...

Solo customer service and ordering process couldn't have been easier. They've also been extremely responsive on everything I've discussed with them, including working on rectangular tips for the Challenger.

My system arrived a week ago, and it about killed me to have to wait until this weekend before I could have my exhaust guy install it. After I got it unboxed today, and realized how simple the system is and how well designed, I guess I could have done it myself... but it's cold here, and he has a lift, so it was well worth having him install it.

Quality of the kit is second to none. Everything lined up perfectly, and took no special modifications to make it all fit. My exhaust guy (who does the best custom work in the state... people come from all over Colorado and Wyoming to have him do their rods and customs) was as impressed with it as I am. Said it was the slickest catback he's seen in a long time, and beautifully done. "Top notch stuff" were his words.

A word about the quad round tips the system comes with: I like them a lot better than I expected to. They are superb quality and the perfect size for the openings. When Solo comes out with a rectangular equivalent of these I'll go to that, as I (and many other) think the Challenger needs rectangular tips. "It's a Challenger thing." But, these tips are excellent, and I don't mind having them on my car at all until the rectangular ones come out. I wouldn't be surprised if many people don't decide to stay with these quad round ones, that's how good they look. Regardless, thanks to Solo we will soon have a couple of excellent tip options, which I believe they're going to sell separately. Someone should start a group buy for tips once the rectangular ones come out.

Anyhow, the system is a pretty simple one, with just one standard-size central muffler (2 pipes in, 2 pipes out, x-pipe is internal to the muffler) and a whole lot of 3 inch mandrel bent pipe. In fact, because of the reduced number of muffler canisters, my guess would be that there's be a 50-75 Lb weight saving to this system, which is significant.

And then there's the J-tubes on either side, back by the tips. Once installed, you can't see them unless you get underneath the car. And boy do they do the trick. :browsmiley:

As my education is in Physics and Engineering, the J-tubes really intrigue me. If anyone remembers studying acoustics and waves in Physics, you may recall that a sine wave can be cancelled out by interposing one that's exactly 180 degrees out of phase with it. That's what the J-tubes do... active sound wave cancellation, but only at certain frequencies. Kind of like the frequencies people call "drone" and happens where you're cruising at constant speed. I'm here to tell you drone can be horrible if it's not addressed, the kind of thing that makes your teeth vibrate, and will give you a headache in short order.

But the Solo J-tubes do a BEAUTIFUL job of cancelling the drone. They're also ADJUSTABLE to account for variances in different cars, and for that matter, where it occurs in the RPM range. They come preset from Solo for a bone stock Challenger with no modifications at all. If you make changes, such as a Cold Air Intake, you have to back the tubes out to adjust the frequency of the cancelling wave. Solo told me that a customer's car with just a CAI had to have the J-tubes backed out by 1/2 an inch. As my car has considerably more done to it, we started with them backed out 1 full inch, and it seems just about perfect.

So how's it sound? In a word, AWESOME!!! :D :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :D My last system had a deep "thrumm" sound to it if I wasn't hard on the throttle, deeper than any else's Challenger exhaust I'd heard so far. The Solo on the other hand is DEEPER, plus it brings back that characteristic Hemi "crackle" sound when revved. Sounds incredible. Around town and at light throttle it sounds deep and powerful and like serious muscle. At medium throttle it definitely gets louder, and at wide open throttle it roars like a Hemi should.

But the even more beautiful thing is that at cruise speed, with only light throttle needed to maintain speed, it's just about as quiet as stock. I tested mine at 70, 75, 80, and 85. By 85 I was starting to hear the exhaust note, but it wasn't yet annoying, just kinda there.

I plan to drive it for a week or so more, probably tinker with the J-tubes adjustments a bit more, then come back here and post some more impressions. But thus far, I love it. Great customer service, superb quality kit, great price, really intriguing design, and awesome sound. What's not to love?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Great writeup! I'm getting mine installed this Wed and can't wait to hear it. I have a Mopar CAI, we'll see how that goes with the J tubes. Ditto on a group buy for the rectangular tips.

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Excellent write-up Omi. :thumbsup: I've never heard of Solo before, but I read somewhere else that they have been around for years. :scratchhead:

I'm happy that you are satisfied with their system. How about posting a video/sound clip sometime soon?

Congrats! :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Greg. :) Yes Solo has been around for a while, but just entered the Challenger (and one can hope, the modern Hemi) market. They're extremely popular on some other forums where I Admin, and now I know why.

As for the video, no point to it really. The audio quality of the videos just don't do justice to the sound. However, the one that Solo themselves put up here http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f167/group-buy-solo-performance-mach-x-3-x-3nt-catback-2008-2010-challenger-srt-8-a-51440/ is as good as you're going to hear. Check it out.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I can't wait to get mine. It sounds like the R/T Auto setup will end up with j-pipes. Possibly resonators, but I think Solo is leaning toward j-pipes.

How do you adjust the j-pipe? In the photos, it looks like it's welded on.

I have a K&N drop in filter in the stock air box. Would I leave the j-pipe in the stock position?

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At least for the SRT8, there's 2 places on each side you can adjust it - shortly after the J-pipe joins the main exhaust, and secondly, right near the end cap.

We'd need to get someone from Solo to weigh in here, but I think those pics you're looking at were taken before they incorporated in the J-tube adjustments.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
These guys are also sponsoring ChallengerFest 2. I'm anxious to hear one of their exhausts in person.

·
Vendor
974 Posts
I can't wait to get mine. It sounds like the R/T Auto setup will end up with j-pipes. Possibly resonators, but I think Solo is leaning toward j-pipes.

How do you adjust the j-pipe? In the photos, it looks like it's welded on.

I have a K&N drop in filter in the stock air box. Would I leave the j-pipe in the stock position?
First, thanks to Omicron for a fantastic review! We really appreciate the great write-up!!! We also are ecstatic that you like your kit!!

The J pipes slide in and out like a trombone...they have band clamps on them that loosen to make the adjustments. The pipe itself is welded on, but on the J pipe itself there is a band clamp that you loosen and then slide it in and out to make your adjustment. The J pipes should be fine in stock position for a drop in filter. If not, then try making it longer by only 1/2". It takes a little trial and error when adjusting it, as every car has its different tendencies. I hope this helps:)

Steve

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Thanks Greg. :) Yes Solo has been around for a while, but just entered the Challenger (and one can hope, the modern Hemi) market. They're extremely popular on some other forums where I Admin, and now I know why.

As for the video, no point to it really. The audio quality of the videos just don't do justice to the sound. However, the one that Solo themselves put up here http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f167/group-buy-solo-performance-mach-x-3-x-3nt-catback-2008-2010-challenger-srt-8-a-51440/ is as good as you're going to hear. Check it out.
It sounds awesome! :thumbsup:

I like it. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Am I allowed to post here? he he he

Well, Omicron. I must say: Welcome to the world of J-pipes. You certainly heard me talk about them quite a bit on the other boards, and now you've finally experienced them for yourself. I told you that they were magical, didn't I?

I've been loving the J-pipes ever since SOLO and I worked to bring them to market (first release was on the type of car that I own, a g8 GT with the 6L GM LS "L76" Engine that is a considerable drone monster!) around January 2010. To that end, the L76 also has the 4-cylinder mode (Like the R/T cars and what SOLO is currently experimenting with) so SOLO already has some experience in this arena to help with the AFM/DOD/4cyl/economy mode sound waves and artifacts. I'm sure they will nail the R/T kits very soon. The J-pipes certainly do a great job as-is for the SRT8 cars, from all the reviews I've been reading on this board!

SOLO has learned from their early experiences, and had great success with the G8 kits, then made great strides with the V6 and V8 Camaro kits, and now they bring that expertise and experience to the R/T and SRT8 Challenger crowd. I must say that it's been proven time and time again that SOLO has a winning product no matter what new market they break into. Add to that their top-rated and top-reviewed customer service, and what's not to love?

Just wait until they release HF cats for the Challenger crowd... that's gonna be equally, if not more, impressive, imo! I'm also looking forward to seeing the custom challenger tips that are in development right now. On my G8, I have the SLP trapezoidal tips on an otherwise SOLO setup from manifolds back, so I definitely understand the need/want for a custom rectangular offering from SOLO. Can't wait!

Excellent review, Omicron. Glad that you chose SOLO. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Omi, I'm sure you recall on another site my extensive efforts to find a near perfect exhaust. I, of course went through with buying the Corsa Extreme only to have it leaving me wanting more in terms of deepness as well as I felt it was a bit too "formal" sounding, not "raw" enough.

In my search to help either remedy the problems I was having with the Extreme or find it's replacement I remember you giving your opinion that the Dynomax set up had the best deep tone of any cat-back you'd heard...till now! LOL!

I could not be happier with my Solo too, but it's always nice to see someone like you who has a particular ear to have found the same result. Congrats on your new killer tone!

And now, can't wait to see what happens with their High Flo Cats!

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep, I do indeed recall... and you nailed it - deep but with a "raw" edge to it when you're on it. Very cool. I've discussed with Solo a quieter one too, for those that want a bit less. And if one added high flow cats, you probably are going to want something quieter. I put a high flow cats on a previous car and it was like 3 times louder. Do the same thing here and it might be too much, so good to have a quieter option available.

But yeah, we've definitely got the same ear tuning it seems. Lovin my Solo. :D

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
I've discussed with Solo a quieter one too, for those that want a bit less.
That's where their stainless resonators come into play. They "take the edge off" yet still provide great sound. I've had them on my g8 for over 6 months now and I am still very pleased with them. The resonators do a great job at taming down some of the rough edges.

The HF cats only add maybe 10-15% sound volume, and just like the SOLO Exhaust, it's mostly controlable with your right foot. I have the hf cats on my daily driver and honestly it's a perfect combination. Wait until the reviews start coming in, then you may be hooked just as well :browsmiley:

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's where their stainless resonators come into play. They "take the edge off" yet still provide great sound. I've had them on my g8 for over 6 months now and I am still very pleased with them. The resonators do a great job at taming down some of the rough edges.

The HF cats only add maybe 10-15% sound volume, and just like the SOLO Exhaust, it's mostly controlable with your right foot. I have the hf cats on my daily driver and honestly it's a perfect combination. Wait until the reviews start coming in, then you may be hooked just as well :browsmiley:
Yup, resonators are being looked at. ;)

·
Registered
464 Posts
We actually have added a resonator to the HF cats and we have it very close to perfect! Wait until you see what we have to offer...everyone will be very happy:)
I spoke with Jeff about the HF cats yesterday.

Needless to say...I can't wait either!

Any gains notwithstanding...I can't wait to hear the extra volume and muscle car icing that your HF cats will spread on my otherwise perfect tasty tonal cake! lol

I'm hungry for more from Solo Performance! yum :hungry:

Yep, I do indeed recall... and you nailed it - deep but with a "raw" edge to it when you're on it. Very cool. I've discussed with Solo a quieter one too, for those that want a bit less. And if one added high flow cats, you probably are going to want something quieter. I put a high flow cats on a previous car and it was like 3 times louder. Do the same thing here and it might be too much, so good to have a quieter option available.

But yeah, we've definitely got the same ear tuning it seems. Lovin my Solo. :D
It is truly one of those products that comes along and not only lives up to the hype, but surpasses it not only in terms of it's tone and performance but for the way the company treats it's customers. Major props!

I've noticed mine has started to break in and become even more well rounded and fuller. Amazing, simply perfect tone for a modern Hemi.

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
Just wait for the cats. You think it sounds good now. Your gonna be blown away with the hp and torque these things are putting out. You'll have something like the 392's are putting out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts