Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at some used models. I know the newer ones use the ZF 8-speed and how great a transmission it is. But is there any reason to shy away from the older 5-speeds? Lifespan good if proper maintenance is performed? Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,441 Posts
Looking at some used models. I know the newer ones use the ZF 8-speed and how great a transmission it is. But is there any reason to shy away from the older 5-speeds? Lifespan good if proper maintenance is performed? Thanks!!
No, they are good transmissions to have if you can’t have the ZF.

I’ve had 4 cars with them so far and haven’t managed to kill one yet, and I have really tried!

One nice thing about them versus the ZF is their ability to be accessed and reprogrammed via things like the TranZformer from ZAutomotive. If you like firm shifts, you can literally dial in how firm you want each up and downshift according to gear and throttle…among other things.

The trans is actually an old Mercedes Benz design, and between them and Dodge, there’s a million or so in the salvage yards around the country should the situation ever arise that you need a replacement on the cheap and in a hurry.

Reactions: F8HemiRT

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,905 Posts
I had zero issues with my previous A5/5.7 and ran it hard.

Reliable, easy to service, and does a nice job.

That said, I like my present A8 so much more. It's always in the right gear and ready for some fun.

The A8 keeps you in the power band better by the gear ratios and having 3 more gears.

I wouldn't shy away from an A5 car if you find the car that you want.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
874 Posts
The A5 wouldn't scare me. I had it in three Hemi-powered cars and had had zero issues.

Pretty sure they still used it in the Charger Police Pursuit vehicles until very recently.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
That design was good enough for Mercedes and that is good enough for me.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
The A5 is a great transmission for that time. Nothing to worry about as far as longevity.

To show you how good the 8 speed is though the V6 with the 8 speed is faster than the 5.7 with the 5 speed.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'm going to go against the grain and suggest a realistic test drive, as to what YOU expect from a transmission for this car. I test drove at least 1 or 2 Challengers with the A5 and V8s and found them to be less than I was looking for for THIS type of car. I also rented a 2010 Charger a decade ago for a 2 day interstate drive. It was a V6 and I assume the same or similar A5 but I cannot be sure. I found it to be very slow and lumbering for the type of car it's supposed to be. Others reported that it seemed too low torque and didn't shift aggressively enough, etc. I'm just going from memory and why I opted for my manual 6.

I don't recall now, since I stopped looking long ago at the A5, but I seem to recall some other issues; it might have been the MDS issues. I'm sorry I don't recall. I personally would not get one absent a heck of a great deal, as in, a price so low you'd be a fool to pass. As a very attractive but mild daily driver it would be acceptable.

I would strongly urge a realistic test drive and really get after it to see if it's going to perform, if you are expecting some actual performance from it.

In this car, I prefer the manual but I would accept the A8. I would not, absent a steal of deal, get the A5... YMMV.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
It really isn't fair to compare any automatic to a real transmission. It's apples and oranges.
The NAG1 is a really good auto. The ZF 8 speed is even better. The TR6060 is way better than either one. IF you really want to be connected to the car.

Automatic transmission: The car makes the driver look good.

Manual transmission: The driver makes the car look good.

Pick one.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,282 Posts
The A5 is a great transmission for that time. Nothing to worry about as far as longevity.

To show you how good the 8 speed is though the V6 with the 8 speed is faster than the 5.7 with the 5 speed.
That's not true in the slightest, I have receipts lol. My brothers 5.7 5spd put TRAIN lengths on my friends 2016 Charger SXT, both stock.

Reactions: Kountryboy2

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
That's not true in the slightest, I have receipts lol. My brothers 5.7 5spd put TRAIN lengths on my friends 2016 Charger SXT, both stock.
Good to know. I was told the opposite. I wonder what the typical stock for stock runs?

Just looked up the SXT and it can’t be train lengths because the SXT is listed at 13.8.

“The 2021 Dodge Challenger comes equipped with a 3.6-liter V6 that makes 305 hp @ 5330 rpm and 268 lb-ft @ 5330 rpm of torque. The car takes 5.3 seconds to reach 60 MPH from a standstill while it is able to run a quarter-mile in 13.8 seconds.”

Just looked up the stock 5.7 5 speed and it’s listed at 13.5.

So .3 tenths of a second difference is definitely not train lengths and more of a drivers race.
I guess you were talking one of those Japanese bullet trains. Haha.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Claiming a A5 beat a SXT Charger "by train lengths" is unlikely, absent faulty driving or mechanical issues, or dead weight in the trunk or the car, bad tires, whatever. These cars spec almost identical for listed times. The Charger is likely also a heavier car.

The 2016 Charger SXT is listed at:
2016 Dodge Charger SXT 0-60 mph 6.3 Quarter mile 14.7

Compare to A5 Challengers:
2012 Dodge Challenger SXT Automatic 0-60 mph 6.3 (No 1/4 listed)

No listing for a quarter mile but it is identical 0-60 as the Charger, and must be between these, probably close to the 2011 SE:

2010 Dodge Challenger SE 0-60 mph 7.5 Quarter mile 15.7
[Faster than this]

2011 Dodge Challenger SE 0-60 mph 6.4 Quarter mile 14.8

[Not going to be inherently faster than this:]
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T (A8 trans) 0-60 mph 5.1 Quarter mile 13.7

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,762 Posts
I have a best of 5.9 in my 2016...not sure a 2021 gets a 5.3 :sneaky:

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
15,450 Posts
Just looked up the SXT and it can’t be train lengths because the SXT is listed at 13.8.

“The 2021 Dodge Challenger comes equipped with a 3.6-liter V6 that makes 305 hp @ 5330 rpm and 268 lb-ft @ 5330 rpm of torque. The car takes 5.3 seconds to reach 60 MPH from a standstill while it is able to run a quarter-mile in 13.8 seconds.”
I am very skeptical of the 1/4 mile time. SXTs run in the 14s.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,330 Posts
Solid Transmission very sold as for original question the 5 Speed is solid and very reliable design, so dont fear it, I did not see anything pertaining to racing, hp so no worries.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,282 Posts
I just rewatched the race videos, which I can't upload here. I'm not exaggerating when I say train lengths. The 5.7s make the peak power of the pentastar as low as 4000rpm. So at any point in the run the 5.7 will always be making more power than the pentastar would at it's peak. The 5spd/8spd are very close in real world performance. The 8spd is just much nicer to drive, more fun, and more fuel efficient. And it "feels" faster

Reactions: Dennis H

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Nothing wrong with A5. Got one. Apples and oranges to A8 though. Amazing leap in technology.
A8 intuitive and fun to drive in the mountains. 88 Carson Pass.

·
Premium Member
2021 SPWB Shaker A8
591 Posts
Shame that an A5 can't be swapped with an A8 or some kind of kit exist for the older Challengers.
It's probably one of those things that would be technically possible but cost prohibitive. Start thinking about wiring harness work, TCM swaps, programming, driveshaft work or swap, etc and the dollars would add up quick.

As to the original question, the A5 is a great trans. Like any other automatic, you should be skeptical of a used one with fluid in bad condition. Anything can be ruined with poor maintenance.

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
606 Posts
No complaints from me flogging my 2010 5.7 A5 around the twisty tracks! I keep it in Autostick so I have some semblance of control over the xmsn. The M-B BlueTop solenoids really put a smile to my face and the Tranzformer got rid of the annoying delay going into reverse when daily driven.

The NAG1/W5A580, born from mid-90's tech, may be dumber than the modern ZF 8HPxx/Torqueflite8, which I have driven, but the rare lag while it figures out what gear to be in is few and far between (usually during steady part-throttle situations on a slight incline). You'll find more faults and frustrations with a CVT xmsn than that between the Dodge A5 & A8. Oh, the 14% improvement in fuel economy of the ZF is of no importance to me - I chose a Dodge Hemi muscle car for reasons other than MPGs.

I like that there's aftermarket parts support for the NAG1/W5A580 as well. B&M has a marked dipstick and finned high-capacity pan with drain plug and sensor port. Makes it easier to maintain and keep healthy - no magical maintenance-free xmsn with lifetime fluid (ain't that the wet dream of every mechanical engineer ever?).

Reactions: Nuke
1 - 20 of 29 Posts