Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am new on the forum but have found information here before I joined.
I have a 2018 Challenger Scat Pack with the 8.4 radio/touch screen. It has Nav and the rest of the bells and whistles.
The problem started out with the first radio that the control buttons at the bottom of the display would lock up.
This would not let me access any of the functions for the apps, Nav or climate controls. The only way to get the lock up to go away is to turn the ignition off.
This is very inconvenient when driving down the freeway.
And of course was an intermittent problem and the dealer at first was just shining me on.
They told me at first that this was a software problem and that I had to wait on Chrysler for a new version.
This didn't fix the problem. The dealer reluctantly replaced the radio. I hop in the car to go home, buttons locked up.
I showed the service manager and they ordered radio number 3. I get it back and now it is doing all sorts of strange things that it didn't before.
The biggest is that now I can't adjust the cabin temperature. It only adjusts Hi or Lo. So They say that the control panel below the radio is bad. They replace it and I get in to go home.
You guessed it same problem! They now say that the radio is needing to be replaced for the 4th time. The heater thing wouldn't be that bad but I have no control over the heat. Auto temp does nothing.
Am I the only one that has had this problem? I have read where others have had problems with the 8.4 radio but nothing like what I have. Sorry for the long rant but this car is only 9 months old.
I am getting very discouraged with this issue. Oh and I found out that the warranty radio replacement they use refurbished radios. I think that I paid for a new radio not a refurbished. It also seems strange that 3 radios have the same problem?
Is there an IO board or something that they are missing?

Digger73 (Mike)

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
672 Posts
Lemon law it.............

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,849 Posts
It could be the radio, but if the problem never changes, I'd be looking towards something else common. Everything communicates over the CAN bus.

On TVs, which I have 30 years experience, everything communicates over a I²C bus, similar concept. We always disconnect things like IR sensor, control panel, Wifi, BT, etc. as they can pull down the data bus. Something trying to communicate or corrupted data.

The CAN bus is different obviously as it is meant for multiple communications at once, but It's possible something external is locking up the data.

I don't know if a control panel would damage the radio, but if they changed it and it had already damaged the radio, then yes, having them both changed could be the fix

A Guy

·
Registered
47 Posts
I’ve actually had the intermittent lock up of the bottom row on the screen that selects media, climate, nav, etc. A restart usually takes car of the problem. I do have the recent issue with my nav showing my location 50 miles away. What you are going through with the refurbished replacements is exactly why I haven’t taken in for service. My warranty expires in November, so I need to decide what I want to do. Let me know how your story turns out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I have contacted Chrysler and they have authorized the dealer to put a new radio in my car. The only problem with this is they say the radio is on back order til May!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I wonder how that really works behind the scenes. It’s probably two sources of supply with a difference in cost to the dealership. Since it’s a warranty item, they get reimbursed from FCA. And FCA will only reimburse the smaller amount unless it’s a special case. May huh?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well gang. I finally got someones attention at the dealership.
The service manager found a brand new radio some where.
It is installed and low and behold I have no problems. My car works as if it is brand new. Which it is.
I am an electronics engineer and I work for a little company that makes microprocessors. I work with billions of dollars of equipment daily.
If we have a problem it is fixed right the first time and in a very timely manner. I would not expect a dealership to take 9 months to repair a simple system like our cars use.
My theory on the refurbished radios is that a bench technician gets a radio hooks it up and runs it through some standard tests. If it passes he sends it back to the cesspool of radios to be installed into someones new car. This style of repair work is useless with an intermittent problem.
I hope that the pain of my experience will help someone in the future.
Sorry about the rant.

Digger73 (Mike)

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,849 Posts
You are right I am sure. This is the reason I don't do "refurbished". An intermittent issue no one but the owner will ever witness, and the new owner might not see it for months...

TV manufacturers and extended warranty companies generally wanted us to change PCBs for intermittent problems, rather than pay for a 2nd trip. But if we suspected the panel, we had to witness it because that costs more than a new TV

A Guy

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well gang. I finally got someones attention at the dealership.
The service manager found a brand new radio some where.
It is installed and low and behold I have no problems. My car works as if it is brand new. Which it is.
I am an electronics engineer and I work for a little company that makes microprocessors. I work with billions of dollars of equipment daily.
If we have a problem it is fixed right the first time and in a very timely manner. I would not expect a dealership to take 9 months to repair a simple system like our cars use.
My theory on the refurbished radios is that a bench technician gets a radio hooks it up and runs it through some standard tests. If it passes he sends it back to the cesspool of radios to be installed into someones new car. This style of repair work is useless with an intermittent problem.
I hope that the pain of my experience will help someone in the future.
Sorry about the rant.

Digger73 (Mike)
Any update on your new radio? Hopefully still working. Where are you located or what dealership did the swap?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts