Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys can you give me your opinions on this... I've been up every night for over a week after narrowing it down to the Challenger (vs. other RWD sporty cars), I'm stuck on this decision.

In the RT Favor:
  • I really like the RT Classic exterior look better than the SRT.
  • Gas mileage is significantly better and I can run 89 instead of 91. (A few months ago would have been a non-issue but with the fall of all the mid-east puppet govs, gas it hitting 4/gal in my area now!!!)
  • It would be brand new.

In the SRT's Favor:
  • Handling and Braking - Having test driven both, I have to say the dynamics of the older SRT are way better. I thought there were some chassis changes for 2011 but I guess the springs, sway bars and tires on the older SRT more than negate the advantage? Or are those chassis changes (neg. camber?) only on the brand new SRT?
  • Interior - The SRT seats are phenomenal.
  • Power - Slightly more powerful (not really a big deal to me).

They cost about the same but I am a little worried about buying a used SRT (6-8k miles on the used ones) since I don't know how abused it would have been, and also the gas mileage is pretty bad overall. This would be my daily driver. On the other hand, I love the handling of the SRT, and if I could get the RT to perform like that I'd be sold.

Unfortunately, the option package I want in an RT (Track Pak, w/Leather, 6 spd., in a color I like) is very hard to come by on the west coast (very few manuals).... so I'd be buying a well optioned RT without the STP option.

Anyone have any input? I'm ready to buy, the only thing stopping me is this question...

Thanks!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I had the same questions. I decided the 2011 was the biggest bang for the buck. I could not find what I wanted to I had to order it. That may be your only option.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same Boat

I am in pretty much the exact same situation...will be following this thread. Interested to hear what you all think. thanks

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
SRT for the win, always and forever.

·
Super Moderator
14,212 Posts
I love my SRT, but like most SRT owners, it is just a weekend fun car.

If I had to drive it every day, I would get the 2011 R/T. It gets much better mileage (with regular fuel) and has a factory warranty.

If you decide on the used SRT, however, don't be afraid of 6-8,000 miles. Most SRT owners take extremely good care of their cars.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Guys can you give me your opinions on this... I've been up every night for over a week after narrowing it down to the Challenger (vs. other RWD sporty cars), I'm stuck on this decision.
I laughed at this thinking it's only been a week for you?? Took me months and months of sleepless nights tossing and turning to decide which way to go but finally after talking to the Dodge guys - Red Letter Dodge people (they toured the US with the 2011 Charger and IE Challenger) They convinced me that the 2011 was the way to go.

There seem to be too many tweaks with the 2011 Challenger many of which were important to me.. IE steering ratio, steering wheel size, suspension, tweeks to tranny, etc...

So I was sure to buy a 2011 R/T... Then more tossing, turning and sleepless nights to decide color and whether to get the Mopar exterior package (which in 2011 only comes in black) eventually got through with all that.

...then one morning I woke up and it was clear as day.... I ordered a 2011 Redline 3 SRT six speed exactly the way I wanted it! Holy crap, how did that happen? I realized, It was time to get exactly the Challenger I wanted or I would always regret...

IMHO, If your plan is to keep the car and enjoy and love it for years to come, order it exactly the way you want it without compromise... You deserve it!

Now go, order your car!

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Surely you can find a good deal on a 2011 R/T with the STP? That will give you a new car with the mileage and handling you want. Since handling is important to you, I would hold out for a STP R/T or go with the used SRT. Trading cars is expensive, so get what you want and then keep it will save you $$$ over time.

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
Purchase the R/T for a daily driver. The SRT is too much of a car for a daily driver.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Depends on how much cash you have after you buy the car or how much you putting down.. If speed/power not that big get the r/t and do a full suspension swap on it if not SRT all the way..

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
I say the 2011 R/T Classic all day!!!! I could have gotten a new IE 392 Challenger but I chose the 2010 R/T Classic instead. The reason why?? Well, The 5.7 has plenty of power and I like the 25-or more MPG its getting. I like the looks of the Classics more and I have been there done that with the SRT8's. There are some good and bad things to own and SRT8.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Since I just purchased a new 2011 RT with the super trak pak I say go for this one. I had a 2009 rt and it was very nice, it was an auto. This 2011 STP with 6 speed is a blast. It has many new little features, by themselves are not big deals, but all together it makes for a great package. I bought mine from a dealer in North Carolina for 31,998. The deals are out there. Good luck to you, either way you wn't be disappointed.

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts

In the RT Favor:
  • I really like the RT Classic exterior look better than the SRT.
  • Gas mileage is significantly better and I can run 89 instead of 91. (A few months ago would have been a non-issue but with the fall of all the mid-east puppet govs, gas it hitting 4/gal in my area now!!!)
  • It would be brand new.

In the SRT's Favor:
  • Handling and Braking - Having test driven both, I have to say the dynamics of the older SRT are way better. I thought there were some chassis changes for 2011 but I guess the springs, sway bars and tires on the older SRT more than negate the advantage? Or are those chassis changes (neg. camber?) only on the brand new SRT?
  • Interior - The SRT seats are phenomenal.
  • Power - Slightly more powerful (not really a big deal to me).

They cost about the same but I am a little worried about buying a used SRT (6-8k miles on the used ones) since I don't know how abused it would have been, and also the gas mileage is pretty bad overall. This would be my daily driver. On the other hand, I love the handling of the SRT, and if I could get the RT to perform like that I'd be sold.

Unfortunately, the option package I want in an RT (Track Pak, w/Leather, 6 spd., in a color I like) is very hard to come by on the west coast (very few manuals).... so I'd be buying a well optioned RT without the STP option.

Anyone have any input? I'm ready to buy, the only thing stopping me is this question...

Thanks!
Order a 2011 RT Classic just the way you want it (6sp STP), then wait for it to show up.
That would give you a few more months to save up a bigger down payment.

Or scan the internet... for the most part they only started arriving this month.
So there are a lot more of them in the pipeline... just wait a little.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Depends on how long you are going to keep it. if it will a long time then probably order it exact in 2011 R/T fashion....if like me and seem to change every couple years i say go for the SRT and enjoy it for all that it is!!
but again, depends on your situation. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
320 Posts
I would order a 2011 R/T Classic with the Super Track Pak and equip it exactly as you want it. I did this for my 2010 and could not be happier with it. You should be able to get a good deal, even on an ordered car.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
In the RT Favor:

• Unfortunately, the option package I want in an RT (Track Pak, w/Leather, 6 spd., in a color I like) is very hard to come by on the west coast (very few manuals).... so I'd be buying a well optioned RT without the STP option.
If you want a 6-speed forget about cheaper gas. 91 octane is recommended (more aggressive tune than the R/T automatic).

·
Banned
241 Posts
Anytime you ask for an opinion be prepared to get a mixed bag response. No other car owner should give you reasons to make a specific purchase. There are plenty of Challengers on the roads today but fewer SRT's than any other. Most SRT owner's are looking for that raw power and better suspension. My car was originally purchased as a Sunday driver. In 2 years I've put only 3000 miles on the car. I simply got tired of all the other muscle cars wanting to race so I decided to turn my car into one hell of a fast car while maintaining the street legal portion of the car. After all, when the original Challenger came about, it wasn't to be a family car. It was placed on the street to race. Purchase the one you want. Either one will make you happy and if you need more speed which almost everyone wants, there's an "app" for that.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Get a R/T Classic with the 6 speed and track pak. You won't have to deal with the MDS when you change the exhaust to make it a bit louder. The 6 speed is a blast to drive compared to the automatic.

Attachments

·
Banned
557 Posts
Sounds to me like you want an RT Classic. Just curious, have you driven a Classic with the STP and did it provide the handling you expected? If so, I would use the "Find a Dealer" section of Dodge's website to track down a Classic with STP, 6-speed and the color you want. I'm sure some are out there. This is how I found the car I bought. You can search up to 200 miles radius. If that's not far enough, change the zip code. ;)

Dodge - Find a Dealer - Find Dodge Dealers by Zip Code

If the STP doesn't provide the handling experience you want, you can always upgrade the suspension to an SRT setup. I forget the part number, but was reading something where they have a conversion kit now. Also, some aftermarket kits actually provide better results.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts