Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided that the stainless grill doesn't really go with the other mods I've done, so I'm getting rid of the hood scoop inserts and would like to replace with functional scoops. And yes, I know that all they do is help keep the engine bay cool.

My questions are:

1) Can I just buy one of the $75 sets that you can get from multiple sources, or are there "special" ones for the SE?

2) After installing on the SE, is there any concern about rain or car wash water getting into the engine bay and causing issues?

Side Note: I called the dealer to get a price on the scoops, the parts guy there assured me that the SRT hoods are 100% different than the SE hoods and that the scoops would not work. That is contrary to all of the other information I've seen but now I'm worried.

Side side note: I'm selling the T Rex grill, there is a post in the For Sale section if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
1. yes they slide ride in (speedysgarage.com for a demo video)
2. there is no special scoop for the SE
3. no issues with water that I have ever heard of from owners

·
Banned
1,340 Posts
yes they slide right in.
I had them in mine and had no water issues to speak of. probably one of the easiest mods to do to your car.

·
Registered
752 Posts
The only drawback to the functional scoops is that they will let dust and whatnot settle on you motor and engine bay.

There might be a different part number for the SRT so just get the ones for the R/T. They are easy to install but can be a bugger to get out.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Why even bother spending money on them? Take out your SE scoop / blockoff plates, drill a bunch of holes in them or cut out the centers entirely, and reinstall. Almost as good and a whole lot cheaper!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Why even bother spending money on them? Take out your SE scoop / blockoff plates, drill a bunch of holes in them or cut out the centers entirely, and reinstall. Almost as good and a whole lot cheaper!
not really...the functional hood scoops actually go all the way through the hood into the engine bay...so all the air is directed into the hood and not lost in the hallowness of the hood...speedy tested it and it actually dropped the engine bay temp considerably for such a cheaper and easy mod...

·
Registered
205 Posts
i agree that getting the full length set is the best for functionality... but if "looks" is all your after... a little spare time and a dremel would be your only investment.

i think the only question raised worth finding a real answer for if whether or not the hood is e-coated enough that the incoming moisture wont ruin the hood. may be more of a concern for the northern environments with salted roads as opposed where i am.

god thing for the wife, my dremel is busted. lol... :thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,340 Posts
well base RT's have the blocked off non funtional scoops. the RT Classic have the funtional scoops and they are the same as the ones that are on the SRT.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts