Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one install a one piece driveshaft on a 6 speed?

I'm tired of all the clunking and banging from the driveline and as my center bushing is now shot I was thinking its time for an upgrade.

Any major difference in the amount of interior noise? I do a 4000km road trip every summer and would like to keep it somewhat civilized in the cabin.

What about 60' times and throttle response?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Great question. I am also interested in this. Wondering about added strength and reduced weight.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seriously? Not one person on this forum has any experience with a one piece drive shaft?

Maybe I should have asked about converting an SE to a Hemi or who makes the best blue catch can and then go on at length as to why red ones don't work...

How about this....Does anyone know a forum where I could go to get answers on performance related questions regarding my Challenger?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have tried google but I can't find anything specific to Challengers.

Funny you should post that thread, that was the last time I tried asking about this topic.

·
Super Moderator
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
A closer look here would of shown you, I did carbon fiber and now have alum driveshaft. What you want to know, more quiet, meh a little. Much of the slack is in the ring and pinion. I agree it sucks too.
I twisted three stock shafts out of my RT. Did the carbon fiber and broke it in half. Yea 1800 bucks.
Then the alum DS is the size of a street light pole. And when you jump into the throttle it will hit the small tunnel.
I made a t RT rans and pinion shim kit to make the alum work without hitting. Then I sent it to DSS to copy. Don't know if they did yet, but I have the fix. rt6speed has the 6speed unit and I have the auto.
FlatTop

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I just read about the carbon fiber in the bmw m4 in Aprils car & driver mag. they had said its junk running it in the high rpm range.... best combo they said is steal with carbon strands is the best combo you can have.. {car & driver}

·
Super Moderator
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
I run a one piece carbon fiber in an automatic. no issues so far. 1.4s & 1.5s 60fts
Glad your having good luck. Ask Frank, I sent my CF back in two pieces. And the alum DS trys to climb through the floor when you go wot. I came up with a fix for the alum DS so it dont.
Its all the movment from the rear end, motor, trans all being on trogen condom soft rubber bushings they gave us from the factory. Add that to a tunnel thats limited in room and it rubs.
Your CF will more than likely hit right where it passes the carrier bearing perches, sooner or later, unless you did a bushing upgrade and or use a shim kit like I made for the alum DS. The CF touches once,,, its gone...
That shim kit will also work with the CF shaft.
I just didnt want to fool with the egg shell, handle with kitten glove CF shaft.
I would do a chrome molly in the furture. I know guys running them in our challengers right Now.
Many claim the lenth on the steel, or molly has a jump rope effect at high RPM and MPH and the alum or CF can handle it,,, i guess.
FlatTop

CF bout 1800.00
alum 8 or 900.00
molly 8 or 900.00
+shipping
The choices are > G Force Engeneering, Mark Williams and DSS thats it. I have talked to all of them and have used all three of there products.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A closer look here would of shown you, I did carbon fiber and now have alum driveshaft. What you want to know, more quiet, meh a little. Much of the slack is in the ring and pinion. I agree it sucks too.
I twisted three stock shafts out of my RT. Did the carbon fiber and broke it in half. Yea 1800 bucks.
Then the alum DS is the size of a street light pole. And when you jump into the throttle it will hit the small tunnel.
I made a t RT rans and pinion shim kit to make the alum work without hitting. Then I sent it to DSS to copy. Don't know if they did yet, but I have the fix. rt6speed has the 6speed unit and I have the auto.
FlatTop
So there is still a lot of slop in the driveline with a one piece? Crap, I was hoping that it would fix that. What about when your doing slow speed parking lot type manoeuvres? Still lots of klunking and banging?

What about on the highway? is it any noisier than stock?

·
Banned
483 Posts
Glad your having good luck. Ask Frank, I sent my CF back in two pieces. And the alum DS trys to climb through the floor when you go wot. I came up with a fix for the alum DS so it dont.
Its all the movment from the rear end, motor, trans all being on trogen condom soft rubber bushings they gave us from the factory. Add that to a tunnel thats limited in room and it rubs.
Your CF will more than likely hit right where it passes the carrier bearing perches, sooner or later, unless you did a bushing upgrade and or use a shim kit like I made for the alum DS. The CF touches once,,, its gone...
I just didnt want to fool with the egg shell, handle with kitten glove CF shaft.
I would do a chrome molly in the furture. I know guys running them in our challengers right Now.
Many claim the lenth on the steel, or molly has a jump rope effect at high RPM and MPH and the alum or CF can handle it,,, i guess.
FlatTop

CF bout 1800.00
alum 8 or 900.00
molly 8 or 900.00
+shipping
The choices are > G Force Engeneering, Mark Williams and DSS thats it. I have talked to all of them and have used all three of there products.
no movement from mine so far but I have Paramount's 8.8 rear end. I also have solid rear cradle mounts. I had a one of chrome moly 2pc unit, not a DSS shaft, twisted it.

I put slicks on the car to soften up the hit as I'm having supercharger belt issues but the DRs are going back on soon.
Should be putting the car on the lift this weekend to inspect everything from last weekend's MSHS Shootout. Will check out DS and report back.

·
Registered
309 Posts
FlatTop

CF bout 1800.00
alum 8 or 900.00
molly 8 or 900.00
+shipping

In regards to the drive line mounts I'm shock to see pro thane nor energy suspensions offer poly drivetrain mounts. I had poly motor mounts on my ls1 and it eliminated all then slop in my drivetrain with minimal increase in vibration from the firmer mounts

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
The rubber cradle and diff mounts are the weak point in all our cars, change to solid or poly before you start investing money in other "race" parts otherwise you will be changing them later and having to remove all the new parts first, the grade of rubber in these cars is quite terrible.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
The rubber cradle and diff mounts are the weak point in all our cars, change to solid or poly before you start investing money in other "race" parts otherwise you will be changing them later and having to remove all the new parts first, the grade of rubber in these cars is quite terrible.
Forgot to add, Whiteline makes the poly mounts still.

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,918 Posts
I have tried google but I can't find anything specific to Challengers.

Funny you should post that thread, that was the last time I tried asking about this topic.
tbakes I have the RT 6m I went with the 2 piece from DSS no issues at all the reason I went that route was strength and I do quite a bit of highway high speed runs no issues what so ever I have also done the clutch pack upgrades to the differential. I have had it in my car for the past 3 years and no issues best bang for the buck if your looking for a solid set-up. it's huge compared to the stock toothpick drive shaft.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts