Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Sublime Challenger R/T - 6M - STP
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past year I've been chasing a tapping / clicking/flapping/rapping sound in my daily driven 2015 Challenger R/T 6M and after spending money on tires, trans and diff fluids and alignments the Dodge dealership found the center carrier bearing is bad. This problem started out as just a slight tapping noise and 10k miles later my local Dodge dealership hits me with a 1600.00 quote to replace the driveshaft because the carrier bearing is bad. It also is not covered under Aftermarket warranty I bought with the car through AAGI.

After researching I found I can get a single piece driveshaft for about 900.00, the process to swap out seems like something I can handle from what I can find and I prefer to remove the weak link rather that reinstall it.

So before I go with one or the other I wanted to get some community input.

Does anyone know if there are any drawback to the aluminum 1 piece driveshaft vs the stock 2 piece for winter snow driving and all around daily driver?

Any suggestions as to a brand for whichever is the best choice?

Hope to have an answer for Dodge dealership tomorrow by noon.

·
Registered
854 Posts
No snow driving but my challenger is pretty much daily driven and track driven. No problems in 30k miles or so with an aluminum one piece driveshaft from DSS. Pretty easy to install, hardest part is pulling the exhaust down or off to get at it.

If the shaft comes with spacers to lower the diff/trans, see if the shaft clears everything before you decide to install them. Sometimes they are not needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I've been looking at the DSS website and pretty sure that's what I'm going with. Do you think there anything else that is a good idea to do while the driveshaft is out? Any bushings, mounts, etc.? I plan to update as many weak points as I can to help avoid future problems and if replacing is easier with the driveshaft removed I'd like to take care of them.

·
Registered
854 Posts
2015 plus car? You race at all?

Check out Performance Development’s differential braces.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a 2015. I don't race, and to set this up for road course would cost way more than I make. I just want to carve some corners, get the jump on a few Mustangs and rattle some windows when I pass by.

From everything I've found since getting the car I know it was beat on by the last owner, never maintained right, vandalized to an extreme level at some point, painted and repaired wrong and was being beat on again by the sleezy car dealership when I came along and saved it.

I've been in family mode for about 18 years now, paycheck to paycheck kinda thing. I come from a dwindling line of motor heads who always chose the best parts and fluids for a car they could get their hands on, so that the way I repair and maintain every car.

I'm ordering the driveshaft tonight and will check out the differential braces you mentioned.

Oh, forgot to mention that it is a 1 of 4 car when I asked Dodge about it. Kinda like adopting what you think is a stray dog then finding out it's some strange purebred.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pak
212 Posts
Why not just replace the carrier bearing. Most are pressed onto the driveshaft.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Even if it were possible, which I don't believe it is, Id rather go with the single piece driveshaft. Why is there a 2 piece to begin with?

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
433 Posts
I recall reading that Mercedes didn't want to have a "long" one piece prop shaft in the platform that Chrysler adapted for the LX and derivatives. I guess it was fear of balance issues. They obviously had no clue of how long the prop shafts were in the older American cars, and there were no problems with them in any normal useage.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I wouldn’t fret about the bushings if you aren’t racing (drag or track). Even the diff braces may be overkill but they (along with the one piece) will make the pedal feel more connected to the rear tires.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Dang! 2014 and earlier the center bearing can be replaced via being pressed off. I cannot see them changing this design but....... Lazy dealership?

I replaced one in a 2013 Charger R/T with a WIP shaft for $500.00 complete w/new OE couplers. Very well made. Better than OE. The owner is a retired Mercedes master tech.

He is not listing newer than 2014. Give him a call if you are curious and see if he plans to or will fab you one. Gotta be better then the over-kill and price of a DSS. The center bearing is a Spicer and serviceable.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Does that dealership estimate come with a rape kit? Also I hear the turnaround wait for a DSS is murderous.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Vibration. Many long 1-piece driveshafts will vibrate. The factory knows this so that's why they are 2-piece.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
The same company charging me almost 1600 to stop the vibration caused by their bad 2 piece driveshaft :unsure:

Does that dealership estimate come with a rape kit? Also I hear the turnaround wait for a DSS is murderous.
Glad I saw this post before hitting the buy button. Website I was on said ships in 4 days, but I'll confirm.

Thanks for the heads up.

Dang! 2014 and earlier the center bearing can be replaced via being pressed off. I cannot see them changing this design but....... Lazy dealership?

I replaced one in a 2013 Charger R/T with a WIP shaft for $500.00 complete w/new OE couplers. Very well made. Better than OE. The owner is a retired Mercedes master tech.

He is not listing newer than 2014. Give him a call if you are curious and see if he plans to or will fab you one. Gotta be better then the over-kill and price of a DSS. The center bearing is a Spicer and serviceable.

View attachment 1016243

View attachment 1016244

View attachment 1016245
I'll keep it in mind depending on the turn around time for a single piece driveshaft. Thanks for the info and advice.

·
Registered
15,927 Posts
The same company charging me almost 1600 to stop the vibration caused by their bad 2 piece driveshaft :unsure:
Dealer price. No way I'd pay that. I'd fix it myself. But the principal remains, the driveshaft is 2-piece for a reason.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Yeah, dealership was insane on the part price in the neighborhood of 1150.00, and said it would need 3hrs labor to install. Maybe they don't use lifts in order to give the repair more personal approach... Maybe the driveshaft arrives in olympic torch fashion... we can only speculate.

The following speculation is from my knowledge of hot rodding and modifying cars before fatherhood scuttled that ship almost 20 years ago. I'm no master at this, by from what I was taught the following is why I even questioned the 2 piece to begin with, then asked if the single held up as a daily driver with 20 year newer single piece driveshaft designs and balancing.

I understand what you are saying about the 2 piece driveshaft reducing vibration. Maybe this thinking is due to a misconception of what a car actually needs vs what the company does to get the project out the door.

We've all seen this scenario or will at some time or another, in one subject or another. I'm dealing with this right now at my job, and I'm sure others out there have also. People running the place not understanding or not caring what a project needs to be completed the right way, they just want the job done with what they have on hand.

When we swapped out old 4 speed and 5 speed automatics or some 3 speed and 4 speed manual transmissions and replaced it with a 5 speed manual, we went and swapped the factory, numerically lower differential gear to a higher gear after installing a 5 speed manual transmission. If we did not, the 5th gear in the manual transmission would be so low the car wouldnt be able to accelerate in 5th gear at all. This swap also allowed us to be less confined with how we had to level the line of power to the wheels(Driveline), allowing the manual transmission to be lowered down some in an effort to align the centrifical motion of the crankshaft center with its intended load, the rear end. This straightened alignment of the engine, transmission and diffential input resulted in less vibration because the oblong rotational force of bending a driveshaft at a rotational center point was significantly less.

A swap to a 5 speed manual, along with the necessary gear change does 2 things at the same time when driving the car - it lowers the engine rpm while raising the driveshaft rpm.

With an automatic transmission, the Challenger comes with a 3.09 lsd to account for 5th gear ratio in the transmission, the 6 speed manual comes with a 3.90 lsd to account for it's sixth gear ratio, and those 2 different combinations provided the Dodge engineer a base amount of torque to keep the car moving and accelerating. But the automatic setup has a lower lsd gear ratio resulting in a lower driveshaft rpm than the driveshaft rpm of a 6speed manual w/ 3.90.

Hang in there because this is about to get good.I'm going to use some arbitrary numbers here, I'm sure their not right but stick it out with me as I get to the point.

So let's say Dodge built and sold 60k Challengers and let's just say 50k were automatic, that leaves 10k manual transmission cars with higher driveshaft rpm running on a driveshaft and thus center carrier bearing, that is designed for automatic transmissions running lower driveshaft rpm. I'd imagine that center carrier bearing had an estimated service life based on lower rpm. So Automatic transmissions had to be crammed way up into the body (transmission hump)to allow the girth of the automatic to fit and make ground clearance with its oil pan underneath. This straight line output from the transmission then needed the bend in the driveshaft provided by the center carrier bearing to redirect the energy from a straight line, up inside the body of the car output downward to the differential input. The 6 speed itself was then given the same driveshaft to conform to. So in an effort to put out as many Dodge Challengers as they could, a decision was made to use one type of driveshaft, and seeing as 50k automatic transmissions required a center carrier to be able to perform and the lesser 10k manual transmissions being sold would conform and work that way, even if not ideal, the center carrier drive shaft was chosen, rather than having 2 types of drive shafts one for automatic, one for manual.

Now when the 6 speed and the 3.90 gears start arguing with each other (Heavy accelerating, clutch dumps, or even coasting and then hitting the gas) the center carrier got in the middle and took the hit, and not just a Mike Tyson hit, but a Jet Lee 8hits per second, machine gun, strip of black cats and a cheap lighter hit. The center carrier in my car took a few too many hits, too many times, and I didn't even get to swing at it because someone did that before I bought it. And it only had 40k miles on the car at that time, so somebody had "Beat" on my car before I saved it.

Now, had the center carrier not been there at all, and the 6 speed had a single piece driveshaft, the bearing would not have been previously beat on and had PTSD when I took over the car because it would not have been wrongly installed to begin with, and then1 piece driveshaft would have been in it's place. So I want to remove that weak point.

True, the differential, axles or transmission may have been beat up and failed on me, but those items are covered under the worthless warranty that I bought with the car, the 1600.00 driveshaft was not covered. Effing joke.

So in regards to me asking how the 1 piece driveshaft for the Challenger holds up daily driving and if there were any concerns regarding the 1 piece driveshaft used in that manner, it was more or less me wanting to see how it held up to the elements on a daily basis and the driveability that results from using it in traffic, school zones, burger king drive thru, etc, not so much how it held up against forces of the car, or some misconception of why there would be some unbearable vibration, when I'm only going to be installing what was supposed to be installed in the first place. Looking back I guess I could have clarified that better and I apologize for not having done so.

Maybe this information will help someone down the road. I'll try to update about the availability of the driveshaft when I talk to the seller today.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Mercy, your simplest would be to call another dealership that would just do the CB. These CB's are not plagued with a high failure rate. But I know you want to insure longevity.

I changed my DS because it was rattling and clinking but it had 130k miles. They are actually 3 piece DS's. See the riveted front section.

Looking forward to your final resolution.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,208 Posts
Two piece has been around for ever, my 63 chevy impala had one as MANY trucks. not a bad design. Mustang have two piece, our 08 does....

Not heard anything positive on one piece for my mustang or challenger. So drive normal and pray for happy two piece shaft

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pak
212 Posts

I have to say that a year ago I bought a 1 piece DS for my Toyota FJ from WIP. It looked really well build with good parts, but it failed with less than 400 miles on it. At 300 miles it started to vibrate and that only got worse over the next 100 miles. I sent it back and they said they'd have to spin it to verify there was a problem before refunding my money. I waited, they spun it and gave me the money back. Just thought I'd mention that about WIP. Might be 1 in 1000, but that's my luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I apologize, I got lost in an idea and it kept going. The byproduct of my wife watching every episode of some baking show on NetFlix... and neither turned out pretty.

I know the 2 piece ds has been around forever, has been put into EVERYTHING and has worked for years just fine, etc. Feels like I got the 2 piece shaft on this whole car sometimes 💩

I'm glad to hear there's not a major fail rate on these bearings and I appreciate the insight about the possiblity of a replaceable bearing. Might be too late for me though.

I've seen single piece ds fails as well, but we all knew it was due to Saturday Morning welds, Saturday afternoon balancing or the Saturday evening install 🙂

Thanks guys for all the input and advice. I have to put my phone down for a bit... my wife just picked up the Netflix remote 😶

DSS says 6 to 8 weeks. That's a lot of Netfix...

·
Registered
2019 Hellcat
260 Posts
I got a new DDS sitting in the basement for a few months now. Just thinking about swapping it out makes it sit in the basement longer, at least I got a spare.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts