Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have come across some info that hellcat is only pushing 11lbs boost, wow, thats a low boost for 707 hp, i was thinking at list 15........ i wander what she will do with like 14-16lbs...??

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
blow up!

Reactions: Tremel22

·
Registered
38 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
It would be cool if someone at SRT leaked just how far it can be pushed before it grenades.

·
Registered
310 Posts
11.6 to be exact. It's not so much the psi but how efficiently it us delivered. The twin screw is highly efficient and cooling the air charge was a priority. The less boost you can get by on decreases cylinder pressure and is great for engine longevity

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I give it....6 months after release before someone is making 800whp
It's already a small pulley and the ECM is fully encrypted. I think it will be quite a while before the ECM is cracked, if ever. It would likely need inside info leaked. I manage a group that writes software for interfacing with vehicle ECUs (Military trucks) and know that if it's encrypted, good luck with cracking it unless you have the decryption key.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
I went from 9 pounds (stock Eaton) to 17 pounds of boost (2.3L TVS) in the GT500 I had. It didn't blow up. LOL

·
Registered
32 Posts
I went from 9 pounds (stock Eaton) to 17 pounds of boost (2.3L TVS) in the GT500 I had. It didn't blow up. LOL
From everything I've read and seen (friend has an '09 with a pulley swap) the GT500 block can take stupid amounts of boost before needing to be modded at all.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm thinking there is more concern with the rest of the drive train than the engine.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yup, my V went from about 8 to 14 and no issues, been about a year. The hellcat is built much stronger then a V. I bet someone has it to 14 lbs in 8-10 months

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
It's already a small pulley and the ECM is fully encrypted. I think it will be quite a while before the ECM is cracked, if ever. It would likely need inside info leaked. I manage a group that writes software for interfacing with vehicle ECUs (Military trucks) and know that if it's encrypted, good luck with cracking it unless you have the decryption key.
I've read this several times and am just wondering that if they have some kind of "new" encryption, why don't they encrypt everything and not just the hellcat ECUs? Encryption is just code and can be applied to any current ECU, I guess I don't think there will be any new kind of code going into any of the ecu's going into the 15 model year vehicles or it will be in all of them. just sayin..

·
Registered
540 Posts
Maintaining 11.6 lbs of boost when it's being consumed by 6.2L of induction is HUGE IMO.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I've read this several times and am just wondering that if they have some kind of "new" encryption, why don't they encrypt everything and not just the hellcat ECUs? Encryption is just code and can be applied to any current ECU, I guess I don't think there will be any new kind of code going into any of the ecu's going into the 15 model year vehicles or it will be in all of them. just sayin..
Obviously I cannot confirm, but my guess would be that the Hellcat Engine ECU is unique, as compared to all other trim levels. It obviously is linked into the same CAN and OBD-II data bus and a lot of the other ECUs on the system are likely shared, but the Engine ECU could be a one-off with completely separate programming details.

Additionally, it's one thing to have 'clear' data on the data bus that you basically have to reverse engineer to find the data/values you're looking for. It's another all together if the data is encrypted and you have absolutely no idea what you're even looking at.

Even 'sniffing' the OBD-II data bus traffic from one of the hand-held tools would be difficult, because you wouldn't be able to pick up on the decryption/private key, it would be stored (or generated on the fly) on the device itself.

I can't find the video now, but in the video the chief engineer for the HC engine explicitly stated that the ECU is encrypted and that a standalone ECU would need to be used if someone wanted to push the envelope.

Reactions: Supercharged_Fun

·
Registered
540 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
This motor is forged and has upgraded tranny, half shafts, etc... It's easily capable of 800 or more hp. A pulley and tune should get you 50-60hp if someone can get into the ECU

Reactions: Supercharged_Fun

·
Registered
167 Posts
The 392 engine was the same thing when it was first introduced in 2011, the ECU was encrypted, and look at it now, cracked all to hell and 392s pushing 800 rwhp with major mods. (someone correct me if I am wrong, I know Arrington has some high HP builds coming out of 392s)

Its the same old story, it will be a while before the industry cracks the code or finds a workaround. For the 392 it took a year or so before it was tunable. On the Hellcat, I suspect about the same amount of time or possibly more since fewer of them will be on the roads than regular 392s or other cars. The demand for it will dictate its priority from DiabloSports and others.

So if you are buying a Hellcat with plans on tuning it, expect to have to wait a minimum of at least a year or so before being able to. It's just a matter of time IMO.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
That Boss intake alone is delicious. I'm guessing this 6.2 can easily handle what the Boss just did in that video.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts